News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

erasure fan1

The only local AP holder I'll dump on, is the ebay Amazon reseller. But I don't see them making ride lines worse or making it hard to get a reservation... They usually just come in to the parks, buy all the hot merch and leave. Of course they annoy me everywhere. Everyone else, no problems at all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t know if that’s accurate. When I worked for a tourist railroad, many of our season passholders were the ones who would make the larger gift shop purchases.

The tourists would buy the cheap souvenirs like engineer hat, pins, train whistle. But the passholders would buy the model trains, the expensive books, dvd’s (yes we sold dvd’s back then! I’m old! :p) etc.

I don’t have the data Disney does, but I don’t think average family from New York is buying up all the limited edition popcorn buckets lol
What you see there (popcorn buckets) is a tailoring of merch to try to target those customers because they know they have that demographic in their parks. Just like DL for years catered entertainment and merch offerings to keep their local AP base engaged and coming into the parks and renewing each year.

But don't think for a moment if the parks could be full with week long vacationers at capacity all year round they wouldn't be eager to end the AP programs and be happy to take those customers on vs those very loyal, but frequent visitors.

The AP programs are NOT loyalty programs - Disney is not rewarding anyone for being great customers. They are using discounts to lure people in the gate and try to suck up discretionary income.

Disney isn't giving Florida resident's discounts because they want to thank Floridians... they know they are a demographic that can visit the park without a huge commitment/planning so they are a targeted audience to attract for filling in low times and to drive F&B opportunities.

TrainsOfDisney

But don't think for a moment if the parks could be full with week long vacationers at capacity all year round they wouldn't be eager to end the AP programs
Well yeah, if WDW could rebuild every resort as a deluxe resort and only sell $500 a night rooms they would do that too. That’s not reality though.

Lilofan

The only local AP holder I'll dump on, is the ebay Amazon reseller. But I don't see them making ride lines worse or making it hard to get a reservation... They usually just come in to the parks, buy all the hot merch and leave. Of course they annoy me everywhere. Everyone else, no problems at all.
Locals and tourists are what parks and resorts needs to feed the Mouse. . Also some that have that money making mentality take full advantage. Locals lining up buying limited edition items, reselling online to many willing buyers. Some Brazilian tourists going to discount outlet malls in Orlando buying up merchandise in bulk and resell to many willing buyers in their country. Have you noticed the abundance of luggage stores in the tourist corridor?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well yeah, if WDW could rebuild every resort as a deluxe resort and only sell $500 a night rooms they would do that too. That’s not reality though.
But it does show that that the value/desire of different guest profiles is in fact different. Even if your money is all green.

Companies like Disney offer seasonal pass programs because they are a way to manipulate/incentivize customer demand to fit their desired business objectives. It's not inhuman to also recognize that in turn, not all customers are equally as lucrative at all times. It's entirely practical to understand why I may love to have you show up Sept1st... I'm less excited to see you March 15th. Some people get upset over having that reality pointed out instead of just accepting the truth.

erasure fan1

Locals and tourists are what parks and resorts needs to feed the Mouse. . Also some that have that money making mentality take full advantage. Locals lining up buying limited edition items, reselling online to many willing buyers.
Oh I agree. Locals and well any AP customer are extremely important in my opinion. They can pay for themselves in free advertising alone. They are usually extreme fans who completely support your business. When you start to lose those people, you also lose a very vocal cheering section for the parks. Just look what happened at Disneyland when the locked out APs when Galaxys edge opened.

draybook

I just wish they hadn't jacked up the AP prices so badly for out-of-state folks. The last time we had APs was in 2019. For 4 adults and 1 kid(the youngest was under 3), we paid about $3700. I remember because I paid using gift cards and the girl charged me for the next tier and I didn't realize it until after and had to get CS at MK to fix it the next night. I priced it for 4 adults and 2 kids just now and it's about $9100. That's an insane increase.

JoeCamel

I just wish they hadn't jacked up the AP prices so badly for out-of-state folks. The last time we had APs was in 2019. For 4 adults and 1 kid(the youngest was under 3), we paid about $3700. I remember because I paid using gift cards and the girl charged me for the next tier and I didn't realize it until after and had to get CS at MK to fix it the next night. I priced it for 4 adults and 2 kids just now and it's about $9100. That's an insane increase.
Have to pay for bad decisions

Splash4eva

The pricing mistake they made w AP for non residents was not making it “worth it” to come a 2nd time during a year. Stupid imo. Those are the guests you want. Booking a 2nd trip because of a perceived “value” & then it trickles down to resorts food souvenirs upcharges etc

TheMaxRebo

The pricing mistake they made w AP for non residents was not making it “worth it” to come a 2nd time during a year. Stupid imo. Those are the guests you want. Booking a 2nd trip because of a perceived “value” & then it trickles down to resorts food souvenirs upcharges etc

Yeah, for a while it basically covered the tickets for 2 trips and then when you add in the discounts you likely would come out ahead ...

.... And then when you have those APs in your pocket it gets real tempting to book a 3rd (or 4th) trip - which helps Disney out / makes them money they otherwise wouldn't have?

TheMaxRebo

A FL passholder who doesn't live close enough to "commute" to WDW will spend nearly the same as a non-resident. Hotel, meals, merchandise. Probably more on merchandise as they won't worry about having to ship back what they bought or try to stuff it in their suitcase. And they will visit more frequently as they don't have the added extra cost (and hassle) of transportation.

This argument that locals are bad for the parks needs to cease. Our money is just as green.

Are people really saying locals are bad for the parks? Even Disney never said they don't want them, they just want a optimal "mix" if guests ... Which ideally would be almost all "families from Denver" on spring break and other peak times and then most Passholders coming like a random Tuesday when most school are in

The definitely need and want both

Br0ckford

Are people really saying locals are bad for the parks? Even Disney never said they don't want them, they just want a optimal "mix" if guests ... Which ideally would be almost all "families from Denver" on spring break and other peak times and then most Passholders coming like a random Tuesday when most school are in

It's those damn locals again. 😉

Tha Realest

I wonder if another aspect of the undesirables issue is that more frequent quests - like locals or out of state APs - have less of a need to buy things like G+ or ILL since they come more frequently. Missing out on Guardians or Avatar is a much bigger issue when it’s the trip of a lifetime or once every five years as opposed to “Ill come back next Tuesday and make that a priority”

Jrb1979

IMO it's not that they don't like AP holders. They don't like those ones who go 3-4 times a week. They prefer those who live a few hours away, and stay for for a few days.

Lilofan

IMO it's not that they don't like AP holders. They don't like those ones who go 3-4 times a week. They prefer those who live a few hours away, and stay for for a few days.
Don't like the ones who go 3-4 times a week? That's ridiculous. If I could go 3-4 times a week year round , count me in. Some go 1x in their entire life or some go as their last dying wish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom