News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

TrainsOfDisney

fact remains tho whether or not we have the date its safe to say someone like myself traveling from NY is going to be spending more than a local who is going there on semi regular or even say monthly basis
That’s not a fact at all. A tourist from NY who stays off-site and buys a 4 day base ticket and only eats counter service lunch each day in the parks = $396 for ticket + $100 in f&b = $500

A Florida resident from Miami who visits 5 times and stays 1 night at Pop Century on each visit, and eats 1 sit down and 2 counter service would be = $399 for cheapest pass + $750 hotel, + $450 in f&b = $1600

Edit to add - that Florida resident is likely to be someone who buys and visits each year, so over 3 years that Florida resident equals $4,800.

The ny tourist may go vacation elsewhere so the 3-year value of the local pass holder is almost 10x that of the ny tourist in this scenario.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

That’s not a fact at all. A tourist from NY who stays off-site and buys a 4 day base ticket and only eats counter service lunch each day in the parks = $396 for ticket + $100 in f&b = $500

A Florida resident from Miami who visits 5 times and stays 1 night at Pop Century on each visit, and eats 1 sit down and 2 counter service would be = $399 for cheapest pass + $750 hotel, + $450 in f&b = $1600

Edit to add - that Florida resident is likely to be someone who buys and visits each year, so over 3 years that Florida resident equals $4,800.

The ny tourist may go vacation elsewhere so the 3-year value of the local pass holder is almost 10x that of the ny tourist in this scenario.
Do you really want to go back and forth with scenario's? I stay at value and my cost blows your scenario away just to use myself as an example.... If you truly feel that majority of locals will spend more than the majority of tourist or better yet " a more profitable guest" then i would say you would be targeting the wrong guest and most likely Disney would be in even more trouble than they are already... but again thats just my thoughts....

LSLS

"outside of wait times" that is the biggest factor to i would say almost every person who is on vacation there so its something we cant just ignore... fact remains tho whether or not we have the date its safe to say someone like myself traveling from NY is going to be spending more than a local who is going there on semi regular or even say monthly basis

It's possible they have an impact on wait times, but there are a lot of factors at play there. Person from out of town is going all day, looking to ride as much as possible. AP who goes 50 times a year is probably not going all day and wait in every line. They very much could just enjoy the ambiance, stop in for some food, watch the parade, etc., hop on a ride, then head on home.

Safe to say for that single bit of time? Maybe. But a company isn't looking at that set of 4 days and saying "Oh, guy out of town brings more money in, lets cut the others." Do you think you in your one trip brings in more than guy who comes in 35 times throughout the year? I doubt it. If that was the case, they wouldn't have them at all. It's weird to sit here and blame AP for wait times and general lack of fun on trips as opposed to the lack of cast members and single digit rides at most parks.

TrainsOfDisney

Do you really want to go back and forth with scenario's? I stay at value and my cost blows your scenario away just to use myself as an example....
This isn’t about you, you said it was a fact that a tourist from ny spends more. With simple math I showed that a local pass holder could be worth almost 10x over a 3 year time.

I’m not sure why people are against pass holders, maybe just jealousy? I’m not a local but when I go out to California I usually stay 7-10 days at a time so I start to feel like one. It’s the best thing ever! Used to be a pass holder at the world and visit 6-8 times a year. It’s way closer but for me it’s not as magical anymore so California it is! Haha

Splash4eva

This isn’t about you, you said it was a fact that a tourist from ny spends more. With simple math I showed that a local pass holder could be worth almost 10x over a 3 year time.

I’m not sure why people are against pass holders, maybe just jealousy? I’m not a local but when I go out to California I usually stay 7-10 days at a time so I start to feel like one. It’s the best thing ever! Used to be a pass holder at the world and visit 6-8 times a year. It’s way closer but for me it’s not as magical anymore so California it is! Haha
Im not against passholders & definitely not jealous lol... my Mom has a dual residency so i am able to take advantage of this for both her and my daughter... Im simply stating that someone on vacation is a more valuable guest when it comes to spending hotel/tickets/food/souvenirs/upcharges etc... plenty you left out in your "scenario". heck they even came out and admitted that fact. With all that being said tho Ap do generate money for the company as i said but again at what cost? Noone will ever be able to know that

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Im not putting down locals at all… i think i know the post you are referring to but harsh business reality is this. Having people walk through the gates without spending any money is not good for business. Yes they are paying an AP fee & yes generating income for the company but at what cost?

What makes you think I don't spend money? Just because I may not ride an attraction doesn't mean I haven't spent a couple of hundred bucks on merchandise and/or food.

And as a local, I can spends thousands during Food and Wine as I can go every weekend or several times during the week.

We locals support WDW.

Oh, and when I didn't have a home 10 minutes from a park, but was staying on property (DVC member), that was my same pattern...mainly walk around the parks, ride a few rides. I absolutely refuse to pay TWDC $25 a day, on top of my $1400 Incredible Pass for Genie+ to get a few rides.

Last edited:

JD80

Heh, using the least expensive way to do Disney as a "NY tourist" is not really helping your argument. Probably should use a family of four from anywhere staying a week at a value/moderate with 1 or 2 site down meals for the week other wise QS or grab and go for every other meal, $200-300 for souvenirs and maybe $300 on G+/ILL with a 4-5 day ticket package.

TrainsOfDisney

Heh, using the least expensive way to do Disney as a "NY tourist" is not really helping your argument.
well that’s the problem…. Every out-of-town tourist spends differently and every pass holder spends differently. Meaning it’s not an automatic fact that one spends more than the other. That’s my point lol.

JD80

well that’s the problem…. Every out-of-town tourist spends differently and every pass holder spends differently. Meaning it’s not an automatic fact that one spends more than the other. That’s my point lol.

Oh no, there are definitely models for spending. And on average your resort guest to WDW is going to outspend a local going in the parks for the day.

The one thing you forgot in your example above is that you're comparing tourist to local as a 1:1 ratio. You compared a locals spending month to month, year to year vs one person that goes every 1-3 years. The issue is that guest that comes for a few days/week and stays at the resorts in constantly replaced with a new person every day/week that keeps spending.

Splash4eva

What makes you think I don't spend money? Just because I may not ride an attraction doesn't mean I haven't spent a couple of hundred bucks on merchandise and/or food.

And as a local, I can spends thousands during Food and Wine as I can go every weekend or several times during the week.

We locals support WDW.

Oh, and when I didn't have a home 10 minutes from a park, but was staying on property (DVC member), that was my same pattern...mainly walk around the parks, ride a few rides. I absolutely refuse to pay TWDC $25 a day, on top of my $1400 Incredible Pass for Genie+ to get a few rides.
Im simply stating this and Disney pretty much confirmed it. Tourist are spending more pp than a local is going to. Thats it. Im not disparaging locals nor am i saying they shouldnt be allowed to go and literally people watch or ride everything they want to ride. Im talking simply what people spend

erasure fan1

It's weird to sit here and blame AP for wait times and general lack of fun on trips as opposed to the lack of cast members and single digit rides at most parks.
I was in Disney last week. The last thing I would do is blame AP holders for anything. All the issues are squarely on Disneys shoulders. So many aspects of the parks are an embarrassment. They're critically underbuilt, the food options and quality are mediocre at best, maintenance was sub par. The reservation system, Park hopping, genie plus/lightning lane, are all not great. The list can go on and on. Disney is charging for the surf and turf and giving us a Mc double and filet o fish.

orion54

Oh no, there are definitely models for spending. And on average your resort guest to WDW is going to outspend a local going in the parks for the day.

The one thing you forgot in your example above is that you're comparing tourist to local as a 1:1 ratio. You compared a locals spending month to month, year to year vs one person that goes every 1-3 years. The issue is that guest that comes for a few days/week and stays at the resorts in constantly replaced with a new person every day/week that keeps spending.
Apparently Disney is not seeing this as much anymore with shuttering of parts of POR and AKL and all the discounts they are trying to put out. Hence the FL resident offers as well.

Splash4eva

It's possible they have an impact on wait times, but there are a lot of factors at play there. Person from out of town is going all day, looking to ride as much as possible. AP who goes 50 times a year is probably not going all day and wait in every line. They very much could just enjoy the ambiance, stop in for some food, watch the parade, etc., hop on a ride, then head on home.

Safe to say for that single bit of time? Maybe. But a company isn't looking at that set of 4 days and saying "Oh, guy out of town brings more money in, lets cut the others." Do you think you in your one trip brings in more than guy who comes in 35 times throughout the year? I doubt it. If that was the case, they wouldn't have them at all. It's weird to sit here and blame AP for wait times and general lack of fun on trips as opposed to the lack of cast members and single digit rides at most parks.
Im not blaming locals/AP for wait times or anything… i dk how you are taking that take from me. I am simply stating from a spending pov. Again i think Disney needs both and when they basically said F… off to them it was one of their worst of many many many bad decisions. Reduced Hours/staffing. Entertainment. No Night parade. Lack of rides/attractions. Downtimes. Are and always will be the problem right now. Im basically agreeing except with the fact that locals are not spending the way a tourist will when they visit when all is said and done. With that being said. Im not even hinting at the fact they should be treated any differently

orion54

I was in Disney last week. The last thing I would do is blame AP holders for anything. All the issues are squarely on Disneys shoulders. So many aspects of the parks are an embarrassment. They're critically underbuilt, the food options and quality are mediocre at best, maintenance was sub par. The reservation system, Park hopping, genie plus/lightning lane, are all not great. The list can go on and on. Disney is charging for the surf and turf and giving us a Mc double and filet o fish.
You know the thing that is most sad is that Disney could charge high premiums and people wouldn't complain as much if they took care of maintenance and upkeep of the parks and resorts. If you pay a premium price you would expect premium experience regardless of the wait times. Quality of food, experience, and keeping the rides pristine, etc. would do a lot to keep the people coming and complaints down because people would say that the price justifies the upkeep and quality. Forward thinking would say they need add rides at AK, DHS, and Epcot to help with building more visitors. Stop adding to MK and just fix it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom