News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
I'm saying Disney doesn't like the 3-4 times a week AP holders.

Other than vloggers, that category is in the vast minority. Could someone go 3-4 times in a week? Sure. Would they go 3-4 times every week? Doubtful.

There are probably a very select few that might. But they don’t move the needle.

APs usually go to check out the festivals and the different seasonal events. And then visit another handful of times throughout the year. And many purchase the seasonal offerings, be it food or merch and they do make ADRs.

orion54

Yeah, for a while it basically covered the tickets for 2 trips and then when you add in the discounts you likely would come out ahead ...

.... And then when you have those APs in your pocket it gets real tempting to book a 3rd (or 4th) trip - which helps Disney out / makes them money they otherwise wouldn't have?
Not to mention pushing DVC to these guests.

wendysue

The pricing mistake they made w AP for non residents was not making it “worth it” to come a 2nd time during a year. Stupid imo. Those are the guests you want. Booking a 2nd trip because of a perceived “value” & then it trickles down to resorts food souvenirs upcharges etc
Precisely why we are letting ours expire. Just not worth it even for 2 trips a year.

TrainsOfDisney

But it does show that that the value/desire of different guest profiles is in fact different. Even if your money is all green.
Of course… but that’s all over the map too. A New York tourist who stays at pop century could drop less than a Florida pass holder who books the boardwalk.

APs usually go to check out the festivals and the different seasonal events.

And those festivals and seasonal events were created to attract….. locals!!!!!

Every major metropolitan city that emphasizes tourism has “locals” offers.
uh oh… one of the experts is about to tell you how Disney can’t be compared to anything else!!!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Of course… but that’s all over the map too. A New York tourist who stays at pop century could drop less than a Florida pass holder who books the boardwalk.

When looking at demographics and customer profiles - you have to look at the larger trends, not be derailed by individual examples. You look at the patterns over the high percentile where you throw out the extremes to get a real look at the what the typical is.

Every major metropolitan city that emphasizes tourism has “locals” offers.

When I go to Vegas I don’t harp on the fact there are passes/discounted rates offered to locals that I don’t qualify for.

The entire locals v non-locals is a ridiculous conversation.

Vegas is a destination town upon itself. It is not typical of 'metropolitan cities that emphasize tourism'. Try rolling around DC or NYC and say "heres my local license... what do I get?". And the kinds of locals offers in Vegas are even apples and oranges compared to the discussion here.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
When looking at demographics and customer profiles - you have to look at the larger trends, not be derailed by individual examples. You look at the patterns over the high percentile where you throw out the extremes to get a real look at the what the typical is.

Vegas is a destination town upon itself. It is not typical of 'metropolitan cities that emphasize tourism'. Try rolling around DC or NYC and say "heres my local license... what do I get?". And the kinds of locals offers in Vegas are even apples and oranges compared to the discussion here.

Nope. Apples to apples.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Other than vloggers, that category is in the vast minority. Could someone go 3-4 times in a week? Sure. Would they go 3-4 times every week? Doubtful.

There are probably a very select few that might. But they don’t move the needle.

APs usually go to check out the festivals and the different seasonal events. And then visit another handful of times throughout the year. And many purchase the seasonal offerings, be it food or merch and they do make ADRs.

Absolutely. Had Thanksgiving Dinner at my place. The next night we ate dinner at Whispering Canyons and did some shopping in the market.

Tha Realest

This locals vs non-locals battle feels like those situations that come up every few months on social media where someone who paid for a seat on a plane is asked to give up their seat so someone can sit next to a family member. While everyone takes sides over who is in the right, they ignore the companies (Disney, the airlines) who’ve put those interests oppositional to one another.

Splash4eva

This locals vs non-locals battle feels like those situations that come up every few months on social media where someone who paid for a seat on a plane is asked to give up their seat so someone can sit next to a family member. While everyone takes sides over who is in the right, they ignore the companies (Disney, the airlines) who’ve put those interests oppositional to one another.
This got all twisted imo. The point at least i was trying to make was NOT that tourist should be treated better etc. i was simply stating that a tourist like myself will spend on average per person per visit more than a local will. I will never waiver from that. And im also in the camp Disney needs locals as well

Br0ckford

And happily take both sides money.

J4546

it may be an unpopular opinion, but I thin they should get rid of APs all together, the parks are so crowded now (in ca at least) that it def takes away from any "magic" the parks have left. Its just a massive sea of people trying to pass each other lol, not a fan at all

TrainsOfDisney

it may be an unpopular opinion, but I thin they should get rid of APs all together, the parks are so crowded now (in ca at least) that it def takes away from any "magic" the parks have left. Its just a massive sea of people trying to pass each other lol, not a fan at all
When was your last visit? I was there for like 10 days in June and even with the splash mountain crowds, grad nights, and then pride nights the crowds never felt crazy at all.

If Disney parks stop being crowded they will start closing attractions and cutting entertainment so we don’t want that.

JoeCamel

If that is your concern how about they keep and honor the APs who saved their bacon before and build /reopen capacity that has been needed for years? Record profits should garner some reinvestment in what earned you those. Company operations is to blame not the AP holder

Tha Realest

If that is your concern how about they keep and honor the APs who saved their bacon before and build /reopen capacity that has been needed for years? Record profits should garner some reinvestment in what earned you those. Company operations is to blame not the AP holder
hey, rest easy. All those profits are going to shore up D+ and the compounded losses on the theatrically released films (in terms of what they lose at the box office and their continued internal obligations to throw good money at bad). But, don’t worry - D+ will be profitable this time next year, flush with cash, and the Parks will get all those delayed investments and maintenance - and then some!

JoeCamel

hey, rest easy. All those profits are going to shore up D+ and the compounded losses on the theatrically released films (in terms of what they lose at the box office and their continued internal obligations to throw good money at bad). But, don’t worry - D+ will be profitable this time next year, flush with cash, and the Parks will get all those delayed investments and maintenance - and then some!
Good, I was concerned

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Disneyland and WDW Magic Kingdom are different sizes (DL is ~20% smaller) and both have different clientele for their normal patronage demographic. What works on the left coast necessarily won't work on the right coast, that's where Disney has fallen on their collective faces with blanket assumptions that all parks are equal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
APs went up.

So did day-tickets.

Pre-pandemic, the AP became cost efficient after about 12 days compared to day tickets (including hopping).

Post-pandemic... the same.

A 6-day-ticket for mid October with hopping: $690.

Do that twice: $1,3800.

Annual Pass: $1,399.

APs aren't more expensive.... everything is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom