News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

celluloid

APs went up.

So did day-tickets.

Pre-pandemic, the AP became cost efficient after about 12 days compared to day tickets (including hopping).

Post-pandemic... the same.

A 6-day-ticket for mid October with hopping: $690.

Do that twice: $1,3800.

Annual Pass: $1,399.

APs aren't more expensive.... everything is.

What changes post pandemic is the fact that you may be not allowed to enter.

Whereas the day tickets they happily would.

Basically, more blockouts decreased the value, now we have blockouts that are not even called that and can change on the whim.

TrainsOfDisney

Still need a reservation. If they were only requiring reservations for passholder / Magic key and selling an unlimited # of day tickets I would see your point, but they have made it just as difficult for day guests too, and actually more so since the average passholder is going to know and understand the system.

GimpYancIent

We need a thunderdome thread Locals vs. Tourists.
There is an old quote "When in Rome do as the Romans do." I find that paying attention to where the locals eat and what they do (yes, who is a local and who is not becomes clear quite quickly) is good guidance to follow for a good hassle-free experience.

celluloid

Still need a reservation. If they were only requiring reservations for passholder / Magic key and selling an unlimited # of day tickets I would see your point, but they have made it just as difficult for day guests too, and actually more so since the average passholder is going to know and understand the system.

The difference is reservations been full for AP holders but not day guests. Like you could walk up and purchase a day and they would most you in. That is the same as being blocked out as they allow someone who walks up and buys a ticket.

This very thing has occured.

TrainsOfDisney

The difference is reservations been full for AP holders but not day guests. Like you could walk up and purchase a day and they would most you in. That is the same as being blocked out as they allow someone who walks up and buys a ticket.

This very thing has occured.
Are we talking Disneyland or WDW? I thought you could pretty much always get a reservation for one of the 4 parks

TrainsOfDisney

WDW.

I can't imagine Disneyland. That value is even worse.
It’s not too bad… reservations open up when people cancel so if you keep refreshing you can grab the reservations you want usually.

An extra step yes. But I’ll gladly jump through that hoop to get into Disneyland! Haha

JD80

You are also arguably getting less. Many attractions and entertainment have shuttered since 2019.

As far as in park stuff, since 2019 you've got Lightning McQueen, SWGE, Skyliner, MMRR, Remy, some EPCOT shows, GOTG and Tron. So I disagree with attractions and entertainment.

All theme parks should constantly be adding and updating attractions to keep people coming back, especially the most attended resort in the world. I don't consider paying $800 more for a trip to be "payment" for these new experiences because I think WDW should be adding new stuff to make me keep coming back.

What I do think is atrocious for that extra $800 I don't get things like Magical Express and free Magic Bands while also having to pay for G+ and ILLs.

AEfx

Basically, more blockouts decreased the value, now we have blockouts that are not even called that and can change on the whim.

Even though I live over 1,000 miles away, I had an AP for many years in the '00s and the early '10s.

They lost me once they went north of $600, but even if I was willing to pay today's prices - I would never buy one again that wasn't 365 access to whatever park I wanted, at whatever time I wanted. That was half the point of having one. Knowing that, whatever happened, I could drive down or take a plane show up at the doorsteps of WDW anytime I desired to get in for a full year.

celluloid

Even though I live over 1,000 miles away, I had an AP for many years in the '00s and the early '10s.

They lost me once they went north of $600, but even if I was willing to pay today's prices - I would never buy one again that wasn't 365 access to whatever park I wanted, at whatever time I wanted. That was half the point of having one. Knowing that, whatever happened, I could drive down or take a plane show up at the doorsteps of WDW anytime I desired to get in for a full year.
Bingo. They charge more than ever (inflation, and then Disney inflation) to offer less of what they sold.you in the first place. Access.

Feels more time share theme park than an Annual Pass.

erasure fan1

As far as in park stuff, since 2019 you've got Lightning McQueen, SWGE, Skyliner, MMRR, Remy, some EPCOT shows, GOTG and Tron. So I disagree with attractions and entertainment.
It might not be a loss from 2019, but it's a loss either way. Let's go through it. Galaxys edge and McQueen and Mickey, lost back lot and lights motor action, American idol, movie ride and mermaid, plus some other small items like jack Sparrow experience. In Epcot you lost body wars, energy for rat and guardians. Tron is short because of stitch and splash. It seems like Disney is doing stuff, but really we aren't any better off from a decade ago.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
How would this be policed exactly? And how do you define a local - is that a Florida resident or someone who lives within a 10 mile radius or what?

A lot of your complaints against them could equally apply to many DVC members too.

Ultimately you can continue to,post these ridiculous rants all you like. Meanwhile Disney keeps luring local AP holders to the parks with exclusive magnets and popcorn buckets …. no one else is going to make a spur of he moment trip to collect these items so they are primarily targeting those local AP holders that you despise so much.

I’m wondering why you have such a relentless hatred of locals anyway. 🙅‍♀️

It's 99° degrees!!!! I'm not going anywhere for a magnet or popcorn bucket.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That’s not a fact at all. A tourist from NY who stays off-site and buys a 4 day base ticket and only eats counter service lunch each day in the parks = $396 for ticket + $100 in f&b = $500

A Florida resident from Miami who visits 5 times and stays 1 night at Pop Century on each visit, and eats 1 sit down and 2 counter service would be = $399 for cheapest pass + $750 hotel, + $450 in f&b = $1600

Edit to add - that Florida resident is likely to be someone who buys and visits each year, so over 3 years that Florida resident equals $4,800.

The ny tourist may go vacation elsewhere so the 3-year value of the local pass holder is almost 10x that of the ny tourist in this scenario.
I'm sorry but no.

Some of the people making the point that locals are less profitable than other guests are being jerks about it, but they're correct in broad strokes.

No, not EVERY flying-guest is more profitable than EVERY local, but in general, yes, absolutely.

Br0ckford

That’s not a fact at all. A tourist from NY who stays off-site and buys a 4 day base ticket and only eats counter service lunch each day in the parks = $396 for ticket + $100 in f&b = $500

A Florida resident from Miami who visits 5 times and stays 1 night at Pop Century on each visit, and eats 1 sit down and 2 counter service would be = $399 for cheapest pass + $750 hotel, + $450 in f&b = $1600

Edit to add - that Florida resident is likely to be someone who buys and visits each year, so over 3 years that Florida resident equals $4,800.

The ny tourist may go vacation elsewhere so the 3-year value of the local pass holder is almost 10x that of the ny tourist in this scenario.
This is good stuff. Now do a trip for 2 from Houston to Hawaii. Save me some time. 😉

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Define “more profitable”

Cause if we are looking at lifetime value of the customer, I’m not sure if that statement is correct.
Lifetime value doesn't really matter when capacity is fixed in the short term. If I have one car on my lot and one customer is willing to pay MSRP and a second customer wants to negotiate for $3,000 off with free lifetime oil changes, I'm going to sell it to the first guy. It doesn't matter that the second guy might be back for a new car in two years while the first guy might not be back for ten years. TODAY, I only have one car to sell.

Of course, if I had two cars, I'd sell to both of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom