News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

Lilofan

Have we met?

I’ve advocated Disney being taken private on forums for about 15 years (date NOT a coincidence)…
It the only way to “save it”

But being so massive - it’s almost impossible.

Let’s pool our money 😂
If Disney goes from a public to a private company some items that can work in their favor is that they don't have to report to shareholders and do not have to publicly report earnings.

Vegas Disney Fan

MORE Toy Story
MORE Frozen
MORE Zootopia

Going for the safe, low risk, bet... I hate it but I’d probably do the same.

I’m still bothered by the comment about rejecting good scripts if they don’t meet diversity standards, if it’s a good story it should be made, or at worst modified, not outright rejected, story needs to become the #1 priority again.

Tha Realest

Going for the safe, low risk, bet... I hate it but I’d probably do the same.

I’m still bothered by the comment about rejecting good scripts if they don’t meet diversity standards, if it’s a good story it should be made, or at worst modified, not outright rejected, story needs to become the #1 priority again.
Where was that comment made?

Disorbust

Epstein’s dismissal was part of companywide layoffs that impacted Elizabeth Newman, VP of Development who was based at 20th Television while overseeing Creative Acquisitions for Disney Television Studios; Mark Levenstein, SVP Production for Hulu; Jayne Bieber, SVP Production Management & Operations for Freeform; and nearly the entire Disney metaverse team.

Looks like they are starting at the exec level

asianway

Epstein’s dismissal was part of companywide layoffs that impacted Elizabeth Newman, VP of Development who was based at 20th Television while overseeing Creative Acquisitions for Disney Television Studios; Mark Levenstein, SVP Production for Hulu; Jayne Bieber, SVP Production Management & Operations for Freeform; and nearly the entire Disney metaverse team.

He was a VP? For some reason I thought he was a manager

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Those are big losses…

…just kidding…none of those names mean anything

Cliff

We can all debate and argure about the "type" of movies and content that Disney needs to make in the future. Politics and culture war topics aside....yes, we can all debate in many different ways about this issue. I get it....

What we ALL must agree on no matter what side we are on is this: Disney MUST find some way to make financially sucessful movies and shows again. Disney MUST find a way to make movies that people WANT to go to see!! Other animation studios ARE doing this....under the exact same economic and social conditions that Disney is.

Again....super simple...Disney must make movies that people....want...to...see. [sigh]

Rigjt now?...for whatever reason...this is just not happening and this NEEDS to change fast. If Disney continues to get more of the same? The studios will suffer and so will Disney +.

This means more and more Parks money will be taken away from the parks to prop-up failing studios and D+. This will continue to hurt the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What we ALL must agree on no matter what side we are on is this: Disney MUST find some way to make financially sucessful movies and shows again. Disney MUST find a way to make movies that people WANT to go to see!! Other animation studios ARE doing this....under the exact same economic and social conditions that Disney is.

Again....super simple...Disney must make movies that people....want...to...see. [sigh]
And you think their current outlook doesn't have high hopes?
Guardians
Indiana F'ing Jones
A Freaking Avengers
plus more marvel.. more pixar.. etc

Again this current re-org is not due to office bombs. There are much bigger things going on here than a current run of movies.

Smiley/OCD

There is a Quality Inn, walking distance to dining , exit 130 off of I-95 Fredericksburg VA near DC. It is one of my favorite stopping points. All u can eat breakfast , coffee and fruit 24/7 in lobby, and free access to next door Golds Gym which includes indoor 25 yard lap swimming pool. With a coupon at the welcome center of VA, the rate is $59 per night.
And 2 miles away on Jeff Davis Hwy. (Rt. 1), is the best BBQ I’ve ever had…Allman’s BBQ

Tha Realest

Guardians
Indiana F'ing Jones
A Freaking Avengers

Again this current re-org is not due to office bombs. There are much bigger things going on here than a current run of movies.
Guardians should do fine, but will underperform.

Elemental/Wish will underperform.

Indy will do fine.

The Little Mermaid will underperform relative to other live action remakes.

The big bad of the current Avengers phase was just criminally charged in Manhattan.

Cliff

Guardians
Indiana F'ing Jones
A Freaking Avengers

"High hopes"?....which movie that Disney has released in 4 years did "not" have "high hopes"? Answer = They ALWAYS had "high hopes". The latest Ant Man had VERY "high hopes" but look what happened. Light Year, Stranger Things,...etc.

I had "high hopes" for Puss N Boots...and that movie was great. "High hopes" justified!

Every single thing that Disney makes has "high hopes". Look at the Star Wars Galactic StarCruiser hotel. What did "high hopes" do for that business model?

It seems to me that Disney THINKS that everything they make will be extremely well recieved by their customers. They are CLEARLY "not" able to know what WILL be a hit at all. Disney is NOT in touch with what their customers want anymore. Disney thought Harmonious was awesome and were very shocked to see it was NOT the hit they were expecting it to be. The list of failures is endless. Movies and parks.

"High hopes" at Disney is everywhere. Maybe some people need to step back...be honest...and say: "Guys....what we have on this drawing board is not good and I dont have high hopes for it. We need to regroup and rethink this..."

As far as the future movies on the Disney docket? I have no idea if they are good movies or not. Maybe they ARE incredible. Sadly,...after seeing what Im seeing today?...I dont have "high hopes" any more like I used to.

I really hope Im dead wrong...I really do.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We can all debate and argure about the "type" of movies and content that Disney needs to make in the future. Politics and culture war topics aside....yes, we can all debate in many different ways about this issue. I get it....

Rigjt now?...for whatever reason...this is just not happening and this NEEDS to change fast. If Disney continues to get more of the same? The studios will suffer and so will Disney +.

This means more and more Parks money will be taken away from the parks to prop-up failing studios and D+. This will continue to hurt the parks.

They need to rid the decision-maker ranks that choose to pit one audience group against others. If they ever want to progress beyond the shock jock Jerry Springer level of entertainment, it has to be large general population targets, not niche constituencies as their shared experiences might be welcomed like a third eye in the middle of your forehead. Broad themes like O'hana which its not explicitly defined but can be understood and interpreted by the observer are ok, while explicitly stating that marriage in the context of Disney shall always be constrained to one wife with three husbands is not.

Classic fables are not only highly entertaining, but they also play an important role in highlighting and demonstrating character traits. For centuries, fables served the crucial role of communicating a shared history, reinforcing a culture's values, and calling attention to important traditions.

Just recognize that the tenants of your culture are not those of everyone else and attempts to steamroll the opposing ones are always met with rejection. Indeed stoking the fires of a culture war will make some happy if it favors their viewpoint, but economically may be suicide if the majority of your customer base doesn't agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom