News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

MrPromey

It really is surprising to see how far Disney has fallen since the highs of 2019. They practically owned the box office for years and the theme parks were overflowing. They're still making tons of money, but they do seem to be on the decline.
A glass floor holds the weight of everything on it.

... until it doesn't.

Smiley/OCD

I agree, but I still say that it cannot continue indefinitely. Take it to the absurd extreme. If Disney raised their daily park prices to $1,000,000 tomorrow, there's probably somebody who would pay that, but 99.9% of their clientele simply couldn't afford to and wouldn't think it was worth it even if they could. So somewhere between the current pricing and the absurd extreme like that, there is a real breaking point that will be hit eventually where Mr. & Mrs. John Smith from Hackensack, NJ simply literally cannot afford it.
They may not be able to afford it, but as long as there are credit cards, people will continue to go…whether or not it’s a good financial decision is irrelevant

MrPromey

Being liked doesnt put money in Bob's pocket, being profitable does.
Wait....
3276149918482c04863bca912df9ab91e003752a.gif

You tellin' me Wreck It Ralph 2 was a lie?!

697ccb51f8dbb8ad82a8ae7933f53bbe3d7e3421.gif

Sorcerer Mickey

Pinging @Sirwalterraleigh

Lots and lots of discounts across the board. 25%-30% off hotel rooms throughout the summer. Now 30% off of SW: Galactic Starcruiser for APs. All happening as a new quarter begins.

Anything to take away from these moves?
I noticed this, too. Now it's only $1.6k/night to stay at the Contemporary for my birthday weekend in September!

MrPromey

It's not like a football team because there's no limit that says you can only have 11 players on the field at once. You don't need to choose between soon-to-retire veteran and up-and-coming young star. You put them both on the field at the same time.
This is what I like to call the high school show problem.

Shows like Saved by the Bell, 90210, the OC always have built in time limits because kids only go to high school for 4 years. Logically, if you're going to stick with the same cast, that limits your series to four years... except they always try to extend it by having half of the cast go to college together or finding some other contrived reason to keep them all together and it's always crap.

Maybe towards the end, they try to pull in new younger characters but by then, it feels tacked on and nobody ends up caring about those - happens every time.

If they'd start in season two introducing new younger characters and developing plots that involve them and continue doing that every (school) year, rotating cast in and out on a regular basis would be easy and keep show costs down by putting a natural cap on star salaries.

They could even do spinoffs for individual popular characters who age out that would likely be way better than trying to come up with a reason to keep them connected to the original story full-time.

But like those shows, Marvel failed to adequately lay the groundwork to replace their graduating seniors with plans, I guess, to bring in that late new person or two to take over (Capt Marvel) at the very tail end and expect to somehow have that be enough to keep it all going.

Some things (Chadwick Boseman) were entirely out of their control but others (Eternals, to name just one) were.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

The whole 25% discount or 30% off and limited time offer terminology is smoke and mirrors, 💩 talk for guests, visitors, tourists etc, who have been over charged all along and since it has now become obvious it will now be made to look like bargain's are being offered without true change to the exorbitant pricing.
In my "Disney rationalization" brain, a 25% or 30% discount off the exorbitant pricing is still a discount, right?

MrPromey

What’s reasonable for full time employment in the United States in 2023?

I don’t know what the number is…but that’s the answer

People who crap on CMs missed a couple of points consistently:
1. It’s full time…we’re an overworked county and to extend that to a second job overruns it.
2. These are adults with every costs that adults have. If they’re miserable at home - if does Disney no good. Just like anywhere else.
And with what's happened with inflation and central Florida costs in the last year and a half, what they got isn't going to improve anything for anyone - it just helps keep those four adults living in that one bedroom apartment from having to find a fifth person to move in so they can continue to afford to live there.

It's easy when you're upper-middle class or above to not realize that when things get tight and you start switching to store brands and going more to places like McD for meals out every now and then that for people who were already just hanging on with store brands and when McDs was their night out all along, they aren't left with a lot of options when those prices rise and they have nowhere further down the ladder to go for things.

These people weren't looking to realize their caviar dreams - they were just looking to stay put - something both Disney and fans need if WDW is going to continue to be a thing.

Funny how what is "fair" and what is "reasonable" only seems to matter to some people on subjects like this.

I don't think $25 to park in a giant flat parking lot and having to walk half a mile to the entrance of a park to start my day is "reasonable". I don't think express monorails down in the middle of the day as a cost saving measure is reasonable when ticket prices are over $120 either but Disney has found no shortage of people willing to accept all of this so I'd say "reasonable" went out the window when discussing Disney a long time ago.

Nobody likes to see the lower wage people getting closer to them and eroding the value of what they see as their own worth but that's what inflation does and the argument isn't about what those people should get - it's about what you are owed for your own cost-of-living increases.

Not for nothing, when I worked at McDs as a teen, an Extra Value Meal for a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Double Cheese, etc. was $2.99. We regularly had alternating 2-fo-$2 deals on those three burgers, too.

The very same McDs location now sells a Big Mac meal for $10.09 and a single Big Mac costs $4.69. (and that's cheap by the national average)

Federal minimum wage back then was $4.25 an hour and that's what I started at during those $2.99 meal days. Today it's $7.25.

Think about that.

The cost of that very same basic meal has more than tipled while minimum wage has not even doubled.

One hour of work at McD's paying not a cent over minimum wage would cover a meal and then some back then. Today, it would be barely more than half what you'd need.

And when I worked there, it was staffed about 60% teens I went to school with, 20% seniors and 20% adults working part time to supplement their full-time employment.

Now, no matter what time of day or day of the week, I don't see the teens or seniors behind the counter anymore.

That ain't progress. It's regression.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Pinging @Sirwalterraleigh

Lots and lots of discounts across the board. 25%-30% off hotel rooms throughout the summer. Now 30% off of SW: Galactic Starcruiser for APs. All happening as a new quarter begins.

Anything to take away from these moves?
One take away is these actions / moves are not being prompted by "Demand" but I believe a lack of it.

MrPromey

I think their problems are indicative of some of the same issues in all their studios.

They don’t read things right, they don’t listen to the market correctly, then they blame the market when they’re wrong.

But I think Pixar is still in better shape for a rebound

As long as the lights are still on, they can always right their ship - much like Disney Feature Animation has shown us in the past.

Unlike Marvel and Lucasfilms, they're not a one-trick pony.

Lilofan

A moment of silence for the old PIN code days of $59 per night at value resorts.
There is a Quality Inn, walking distance to dining , exit 130 off of I-95 Fredericksburg VA near DC. It is one of my favorite stopping points. All u can eat breakfast , coffee and fruit 24/7 in lobby, and free access to next door Golds Gym which includes indoor 25 yard lap swimming pool. With a coupon at the welcome center of VA, the rate is $59 per night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom