News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

celluloid

And what are Uni guests currently seeing... and remember, you can't count things not open to the public yet.

You can count all you want, but you are kidding yourself if you have to count bus lanes and other infastructure as something the average guest cares about.

Velocicoaster and Nintendo domestically have made more impact on stateside parks than anything WDW or DL have recently opened or have opening soon. Remember the poster you quoted said impact for the average guest.

CityWalk has Escape Rooms that are more immersive than many of Disney's current new offerings, including their dining. Guests here have even pointed it out. The rooms are constantly booked up and offer entertainment to Citywalk.

I could list a bunch of logistics that are equal to the resort as you did for WDW, but I know the average guest does not care about those.

No Park reservation system for day guests, resort guests and Annual Passholders.

The ability to hop parks anytime you want.

Disney took a lot of time to get meet and greets, one of their biggest assets, back to what guests should have. Universal had safe meet and greets, and full huggable meet and greets back first.

All of that added to Universal or diminished within WDW was within the last two years.

Last edited:

MrPromey

He also says that Disney+ losses have no affect on what’s green lit in the parks. In fact, D’Amaro was adamant that the Walt Disney Company is on the brink of their biggest projects yet. “We have no shortage of money. We wanna make sure we do the biggest things, the coolest things, the things that represent the future.”
Oh, I get it, now! [slaps forehead]

It's all just been a misunderstanding!

When Bob C. said they were going to try to find the money some day for the E-ticket that was supposed to be built with Avengers Campus, he didn't mean they didn't have the cash to do it at the moment like many of us assumed.

What he really meant was, they just had to figure out which couch cushion in Burbank they'd stuffed it under.

They had it, they just had to find it!

Wow - with this realization, I'm now thinking that if Chapek had just gotten some communications coaching, he might still have a job!

Think about it: DeSantis? ScarJo? The entire fan community? Everyone on that last investor call? :oops:

Last edited:

celluloid

"We have no shortage of money" Insane statement.

It is easy to make the assertion because they don't act like it.

By the way, the "We" is executive pockets. Not the company.

No shortage of money, but they may struggle to give a dollar raise for their entry level hourly employees when they play below other entry level jobs and skillsets.

MrPromey

"Hey Josh let's go walk around AK to make it look like we're thinking about the Blue Sky stuff"
"Good idea, Bob, and how about, you point at stuff and quietly say 'peas and carrots' a few times to me. I'll respond by pointing with my whole open hand sort of like I'm holding a water glass from the bottom but sideways and I'll twist my wrist like I'm tinkering with an imaginary thing you're pointing at while also mouthing 'peas and carrots'!"

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
20th Century Fox is no more. Big parts of it were sold off (Sky and regional sports channels). Other parts scrapped (the physical international linear channels).

What's left are a handful of studios that turn out content for theatrical release, TV, and streaming. A good chunk of new content on Hulu (Star overseas) is from former Fox studios.

FX, Hoststar, and NatGeo are their own hubs on their streaming services.

Redundant employee positions were eliminated.

There is no separate 20th Century Fox division at Disney to sell off. It's all fully integrated.
And why would the Murdochs want 20th Century back? They stopped caring about Hollywood the moment Fox News became their flagship property. The writing was on the wall when their attempted hostile takeover of Time Warner collapsed.
Murdoch's children could just seek to purchase the 20th Century catalog (minus the Marvel stuff) and the 20th Century studio name from Disney when they take over Rupert's position.

Also, from what I learned on this forum, it’s that you all suck! You are all Disney-obsessed and too biased! SilentYoda over on Anime Superhero was right. LONG LIVE PELTZ!

Another thing: 20th Century Studios has a president (Steven Asbell) and their films post-Disney purchase are still distributed by themselves, which I don’t think makes said studio "integrated" into Disney.

Last edited:

_caleb

"Good idea, Bob, and how about, you point at stuff and quietly say 'peas and carrots' a few times to me. I'll respond by pointing with my whole open hand sort of like I'm holding a water glass from the bottom but sideways and I'll twist my wrist like I'm tinkering with an imaginary thing you're pointing at while also mouthing 'peas and carrots'!"
You ok?

mysto

:rolleyes:

Or maybe rhubarb.

I was at an REM concert and Stipe tell this story about how extras in movies in the 30s were instructed to repeat rhubarb to create the mmurmur of a conversing crowd.

So then he convinces everyone to be quiet and repeat "rhubarb". It was really quite an effect. Then some jerk screams "woooo".

Lilofan

Murdoch's children could just seek to purchase the 20th Century catalog (minus the Marvel stuff) and the 20th Century studio name from Disney when they take over Rupert's position.

Also, from what I learned on this forum, it’s that you all suck! You are all Disney-obsessed and too biased! SilentYoda over on Anime Superhero was right. LONG LIVE PELTZ!

Another thing: 20th Century Studios has a president (Steven Asbell) and their films post-Disney purchase are still distributed by themselves, which I don’t think makes said studio "integrated" into Disney.
My name is Elijah Abrams, and I am new here to this forum! I love going to Disneyland in California, where my favorite rides there are Radiator Springs Racers, Rise of the Resistance, and Splash Mountain (which I hate to see get changed). I also went to Walt Disney World in Florida back in the summer of 2013, and I went to Universal Orlando in summer 2012 and in summer 2019! I also love Disney's films (both live-action & animated. Examples include George of the Jungle, Inspector Gadget, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Aladdin, The Lion King, Hercules, Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch, The Emperor's New Groove, and Atlantis: The Lost Empire) and their most recent animated TV shows like The Owl House and Big City Greens.

Welcome Disney fan!

LSLS

You still haven’t shared your recommendation for what Disney should do instead of this pivot to streaming. I’m genuinely curious.

And while Disney has acknowledged that costs got way out of hand and PR went sideways, so far the plan is working, isn’t it?

From my perspective, what remains to be seen—and I admit it’s a biggie—profitability without falling back on the old ways of doing things. If they go to all this trouble to pivot, only to fall back into bundled services, two-year contracts, and commercials, I’m going to be very disappointed.

I'll jump in. First, I'll say the pivot to streaming isn't wrong, I just think the execution was. So, first, I think they cast way too large a net. They went all in on original shows for just D+, but also went all in on bulk content (see the Fox purchase). I think they needed to pick one as a main.

On top of that, I think they are spending WAY too much on new content when it's not overly needed. Do they have 125 million subscribers now without the what, 10 or 11 Marvel shows? Maybe not. But do they have 100 million if they only did a fraction of them? I think so. Star wars is tough for me to read because they had such a disaster in the theaters, so they were almost forced here. BUT, some of the most beloved Star Wars stuff is the cartoon style (Clone Wars, Bad batch, etc.). That stuff I'm assuming is a TON cheaper to create than the CGI-loaded shows. And the same may be true for Marvel. Maybe things that have seemed more one-offs as opposed to working towards cannon could be just animated like What if, and the rest they continued the path of introducing characters in movies, where it's easier to make up those large budgets.

Disney also thrives on the nostalgia. So I think a few shows along with the streaming rights to major movies AFTER their theater runs, and all their old content would be enough. They are now in a tough spot because it's going to be tough to just shelf ALL those shows already announced without some major blowback, and I don't think they can get their targets without shelfing a bunch.

Slpy3270

Lucasfilm has a president. Marvel has a president. All their movies are also released through their banner and are fully integrated into Disney.

What in God's name are you talking about?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As I've outlined in the post you quoted of mine, all the previous 20th Century Fox stuff has been broken up and fully integrated into Disney's corporation. So, separating them back out would be very difficult.

Also, if the next Murdoch generation even really does want those studios back... they can't have them if Disney refuses to sell them. They belong to Disney now. There's nothing in the previous sale's contract that would allow a buyback without Disney's permission.

Besides, Murdoch's new "Fox" brand is already starting to get back into the entertainment game creating content.

maxairmike

Nelson Peltz's restore the magic report is an interesting read.

Also, watch Mickey Views video about this. Goes in depth on it. I strongly believe Peltz would be a great board member, he seems to really get what is wrong with Disney these past few years.

Overpaying for Fox, over profiting on the Parks, etc.

Corporate raiders and their ilk are never, ever good for a company, it’s customers, or its employees no matter what kind of rosy PR they slather their numbers and messaging in. He may “get what is wrong with Disney,” but I can guarantee you that his solutions and goals don’t benefit anyone but himself/Trian and would likely leave a very decimated and hobbled TWDC behind when he’s through with his investment.

_caleb

That rate of loss.was.in the plan?
No, I think costs got out of control when Chapek announced a new goal for total number of subscribers (he raised the goal from 80M-90M to 240M+) and the pandemic pushed them to release big movies on D+, which started to blur the difference between “streaming content” and “theatrical films.”

Nevertheless, big “losses” (they aren’t really losses because they feed the streaming machine and gain/retain subscribers) was always part of the plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom