News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

EPCOT-O.G.

I’m calling bs here otherwise things would already be under construction…or heck even announced. We know how long it takes them to build anything now adays. That is troubling.

One of the reasons capital spending is “more than it’s ever been” is because their cost to do anything these days is ridiculously inflated beyond what it should be. If Disney were building Epic Universe it would probably cost twice as much
It also includes the (three?) cruise ships currently in development.

_caleb

A plant can’t be this obtuse…who would ever buy it?
You still haven’t shared your recommendation for what Disney should do instead of this pivot to streaming. I’m genuinely curious.

And while Disney has acknowledged that costs got way out of hand and PR went sideways, so far the plan is working, isn’t it?

From my perspective, what remains to be seen—and I admit it’s a biggie—profitability without falling back on the old ways of doing things. If they go to all this trouble to pivot, only to fall back into bundled services, two-year contracts, and commercials, I’m going to be very disappointed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From Kim Masters, who never misses:

Apparently Iger wants McCarthy to be gone too despite everything she did for him. Why? Because her cost-cutting enthusiasm is coming at odds with creatives, whom Iger wants to protect.

Also, Rich Greenfield says something intelligent for once:
Iger puts McCarthy in charge of the ad hoc committee of reorganization and wants her gone at the same time? The one who threatened to quit unless Chapek was gone?

Doesn't seem likely. I'll put this in the same bin with Kennedy being fired.

Jrb1979

They way I look at it is your average guest doesn't know or care about much of this. They do see Universal continue to invest in their parks and Disney not following suit.

You still haven’t shared your recommendation for what Disney should do instead of this pivot to streaming. I’m genuinely curious.

And while Disney has acknowledged that costs got way out of hand and PR went sideways, so far the plan is working, isn’t it?

From my perspective, what remains to be seen—and I admit it’s a biggie—profitability without falling back on the old ways of doing things. If they go to all this trouble to pivot, only to fall back into bundled services, two-year contracts, and commercials, I’m going to be very disappointed.
I do agree with moving to streaming. Where I disagree is how, not just Disney all of them, have gone about it. It should have been a slow process to pivoting to streaming. Throwing all new content and movies onto streaming without getting profit from them.

el_super

They way I look at it is your average guest doesn't know or care about much of this. They do see Universal continue to invest in their parks and Disney not following suit.

I don't think the average guests knows or cares about how much Disney is investing in their parks. If you haven't been to a Disney park in 5 years or 10 years how much new stuff is there to see? Maybe... if you are going every month or ever week, but those are also the types that can ride the classics over and over without getting bored.

I do agree with moving to streaming. Where I disagree is how, not just Disney all of them, have gone about it. It should have been a slow process to pivoting to streaming. Throwing all new content and movies onto streaming without getting profit from them.

They will make money off the content released to Disney+ ... it's just harder to measure. It's easier to compare a box office return over the course of a six week or ten week release. But a title that sits on Disney+ for the next 20 to 30 years? How much does it make back?

There's a lot of weird parallels here between Disney content on Disney+ and Disney parks going to a pay-one-price admission ticket in the 1980s.

Dan Deesnee

Nelson Peltz's restore the magic report is an interesting read.

Also, watch Mickey Views video about this. Goes in depth on it. I strongly believe Peltz would be a great board member, he seems to really get what is wrong with Disney these past few years.

Overpaying for Fox, over profiting on the Parks, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom