News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

_caleb

If that were the case he wouldn't have been an initial supporter of spinning off ESPN/ABC.

This is all about him pushing for job cuts and content write-offs so that the company can be sold.
It’s definitely about the DtC strategy’s impact on dividends. Maybe you missed this from the Trian Partners presentation from Jan. 11:

“While we acknowledge that Disney, like many media companies, is undergoing a challenging pivot to streaming, we believe that many of the Company’s current problems are self-inflicted and need to be addressed”

And

“Flawed Direct-to-Consumer (“DTC”) strategy struggling with profitability, despite reaching similar revenues as Netflix and having a significant intellectual property (“IP”) advantage”

And

“While we believe Disney+ started as a niche DTC extension of Disney’s franchise “flywheel,” it has rapidly shifted to the core distribution channel for the majority of Disney’s IP, leading Disney to significantly ramp up investment to drive new subscriber growth at all costs

However, in our view, management failed to effectively communicate the financial rationale behind the strategic pivot, as the profitability guidance has not changed while the change in strategy put significant stress on Disney’s balance sheet and cash flow profile”

BrianLo

What’s happened These last six months is that investors are doubting it ever will be profitable…

It was buoyed by an event where literally Everyone with a Buck was forced to stay home and entertain themselves…and it’s still drowning in costs.

Your analysis is based on what Iger told you 4 years Ago…not the events of what happened or what the money people are saying now.

That’s the problem here. It was a good idea that is trending the way of all steaming: writing checks it’s body can’t cash.

And investors are impatient idiots. I’ve outlined this many times, the path to profitability is easily achieved with price hikes (a 37% one they already engaged in December).

The content spend escalated as the subscribers escalated. On the backs of excitement that D+ wasn’t merely a strong niche streamer, but could compete head to head with Netflix. This made the depths of the low all the more impressive, along with some economic factors such as the strong US dollar.

They really don’t need to do anything at this point to achieve profitability by next fiscal year than let the price increase play out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And investors are impatient idiots. I’ve outlined this many times, the path to profitability is easily achieved with price hikes (a 37% one they already engaged in December).

The content spend escalated as the subscribers escalated. On the backs of excitement that D+ wasn’t merely a strong niche streamer, but could compete head to head with Netflix. This made the depths of the low all the more impressive, along with some economic factors such as the strong US dollar.

They really don’t need to do anything at this point to achieve profitability by next fiscal year than let the price increase play out.
It’s not that I disagree with you…I don’t. But does that matter?

Iger turned a company that has no business chasing quarterlies into one that is expected to chase quarterlies. That’s is a fundamental change. So he yielded what had always made Disney more of an enigma that allowed it to write its own rules.

In his profit “scenario”…billions of people are gonna pay like $29.99 a month AND sit through commercials?

Does that scan? Sure sounds like the idea of an outdated guy that knows nothing but the cable model?

He made a big show about being IP/brand focused…but the IP is lagging now. You buy the most loyal franchise/fanbase ever and you don’t bother to even learn why it was so?

Really? Skip a symposium for Silicon Valley or two and do your job. Or hire someone who is willing to understand and let them make the decisions.

This could be a blip…or this could be the start of the end.

When people “want their god damn money…” logic goes out the window

Lilofan

Yes impatience is what got some investors burned like the dot-com bubble.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First thing I saw on squawk box this morning is a lengthy interview with James Stewart.

It’s all about declining customers and losses at D+…

And way too much dividend talk.

Red alert

Attachments

• D393C6E6-4592-47DA-844E-BF2E20F0688D.jpeg
    D393C6E6-4592-47DA-844E-BF2E20F0688D.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 34

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Way more palace intrigue here

Peltz was talking to CHAPEK in July About the board and restructuring

Iger informed him in December to speak only to his lawyers…or Chrissy

There we go…now the missing piece of the last 6 months is filled in. Chapek was fired because the proxy fight had already begun.

This is all from the proxy filing last night
What a complete mess and Iger created so much of this

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What a complete mess and Iger created so much of this
I’d argue 100% is Iger and his board members fault

You can’t blame an idiot for being too stupid to do anything when you left the password to the safe on a sticky note slapped to it as you snuck down the back staircase (that Joe rohde designed out of Egyptian sandstone for $75,000,0000)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When Arnold called Iger that weekend asking him to come back as CEO, he should have told her I'm retired and enjoying life, go find somebody else.
We thought it was pure ego…
But it’s becoming clear that it was about 80% duress.

Arnold, Chrissy, d’amaro…there is a legitimate chance at raiding here…

That was the whole deal.

Chapek was talking to the wolves outside the henhouse…and you never let the idiot do that.

It’s on Iger. Fear of the virus. Good job, Bob

And do you really think Arnold called Iger?
Does that make any sense now?…
I bet the call went like this:
BI: “execute order 67”
SA: “It will be done, me lord”

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Peltz is gonna be on cnbc at the 9 an hour…it’s worth a listen

Yes…this is more important than asking “how magical is por”? Or asking when prebooked rockinroller coaster from Minneapolis is gonna come back?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes impatience is what got some investors burned like the dot-com bubble.
I was a young buck then…

But I seemed to remember the dot.com consensus…like the real estate bubble…was there was never any “there” there.

Brokers were allowed to make money unregulated based on what they made up that day.

Gee…what could go wrong?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom