News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

dreday3

The recorded comment was inappropriate and I would not be surprised if she gets called out in the parks if she even visits one. She was in an interview when she commented she majored in biology in college because she did not want to work with people . Some of the audience laughed.

Who likes people? I don't want to work with people either, it's just a necessary evil. 😂

As far as the waistline comment...the only reason I find it to be inappropriate is because she used it to make light out of taking something away from the consumer, but charging the same price - less food, same cost.
Not offended because she made a silly joke about waistlines.

Now would she be a good CEO? I have zero idea. Just commenting on that "joke".

Lilofan

Who likes people? I don't want to work with people either, it's just a necessary evil. 😂

As far as the waistline comment...the only reason I find it to be inappropriate is because she used it to make light out of taking something away from the consumer, but charging the same price - less food, same cost.

Charging more and receiving less. I’ve noticed it in some dining areas I’ve eaten in non Disney. They will not earn my business or my recommendation in the future.

Incomudro

Yeah, if anything these two things buoy up her approval in my book.

el_super

As far as the waistline comment...the only reason I find it to be inappropriate is because she used it to make light out of taking something away from the consumer

In context though, this was in regard to a question about inflationary pressure on Disney. She was making light of what was admittedly two bad options: either raising food prices to match supply pricing or reducing portion sizes to keep pricing the same. Not really Disney's fault that the value of the goods had decreased.

Riverrafter21

In the simplest form, as a shareholder and a fan I don't want Disney executives insulting their customers. It's bad business.

If they were going to float a sound bite on portion size they should have prepared an answer. "Supply chain challenges have given the company cause to reevaluate the portion sizes offered to our park guests. We will however try to keep cost in mind as we know the positive impact meals on property can have on a visit to one of our great theme parks."

Last edited:

Basil of Baker Street

If you watched the video of McCarthy I posted, you all would have seen her with dismay point out how Wall Street expects the unrealistic short-term quarter gains. She then went on to say how there needs to be long term investment in the product, even taking risks and not chasing short-term gains.

And she talks about being in the room with all the creatives and helping them create good product and to keep in mind that's what the company is all about.

But who wants that in a CEO if she once made a bad joke out portion sizes?
What's even more baffling, there are people excited about Iger being back..

Basil of Baker Street

In the simplest form, as a shareholder and a fan I don't want Disney executives insulting their customers. It's bad business.

If they were going to float a sound bite on portion size they should have prepared an answer. "Supply chain challenges have given the company cause to reevaluate the portion sizes offered to our park guests. We will however try to keep cost in mind as we know the positive impact meals on property can have on a visit to one of our great theme parks."
I'm sure she would like to have that comment back. But if that was to be her biggest misstep, I can forgive her.

OceanBlue

If you watched the video of McCarthy I posted, you all would have seen her with dismay point out how Wall Street expects the unrealistic short-term quarter gains. She then went on to say how there needs to be long term investment in the product, even taking risks and not chasing short-term gains.

And she talks about being in the room with all the creatives and helping them create good product and to keep in mind that's what the company is all about.

It was a public earnings call, not a taped comment at a private dinner. It was inappropriate and kind of confirmed all the worst suspicions people had about what Disney is doing in the parks. Also shows she doesn't realize her customers (those people who go in the theme parks) are invested and many are savvy and care about the direction of the company. I can't see anyway she could be in contention with that kind of comment. Makes me wonder what she says about customers at other times. Maybe she'll get rewarded with her loyalty by getting a seat on the board.

Sir_Cliff

Have to be honest and say I wasn't offended by what was obviously a joke. I kind of prefer it when people are allowed at least some leeway to show humour and personality in these positions. On the other hand, the reaction shows that you really have to watch every word you say in this kind of position. Better to just play it straight, I suppose, than risk offending anyone.

el_super

It was a public earnings call, not a taped comment at a private dinner. It was inappropriate and kind of confirmed all the worst suspicions people had about what Disney is doing in the parks.

I know all of this has been said already, but there is some serious context missing in this position.

Nothing Disney does in the parks really needed to be "confirmed" because nothing about their strategy it is really secret. Disney has to strike a balance between making money and providing value. If Disney makes no money, the parks cease to exist. If the customers see no value and stop showing up, the parks cease to exist. There shouldn't be any "suspicions" about how a business like Disney operates in the middle.

Further, McCarthy's comments, specifically with regard to inflation, displayed exactly the type of balance you would expect from a senior leader of a service company. Immediately after the waist-line comment she said this:

I was talking to our parks senior team about things we could do there.​
And there are lots of things that are worth talking about. We can adjust suppliers. We can​
substitute products. We can cut portion size, which is probably good for some people's waist​
lines. We can look at pricing where necessary.​
But we aren't going to go just straight across and increase prices. We're really going to try to get​
the algorithm right to cut where we can and not necessarily do things the same way​

Saying that the decision between raising prices or cutting portion sizes isn't automatic and would require calculation was 100% the right answer for both the investor perspective and the customer perspective. Whether she planned for questions over inflation specfically at parks, or came up with that on the fly, shows that she knows her stuff and is working hard to protect the company. That's the trait of a good executive.

I can't see anyway she could be in contention with that kind of comment. Makes me wonder what she says about customers at other times. Maybe she'll get rewarded with her loyalty by getting a seat on the board.

If you ruled out everyone at Disney who made an offensive comment toward one of their customers, there would be no one left to be CEO.

Smiley/OCD

We just arrived about 10 this morning…I’ve spoken to adult and younger CM’s and as we were greeting each other, I said I am a member of the Chappie “hate” club (not to be confused with the fan club-maybe a dozen members, mostly family, lol), but it put a smile on EVERY cast member…they pretty much all said the same thing…Bob I is a much needed improvement over Bob C, but they’re still hoping for improvements for themselves AND the guests…and I’ve only talked to one bus driver so far.lol

MaximumEd

why would they want a former banker to run the most creative instituion on earth - dont promote CFO to COO and certainly never promte a CFO to CEO - shes hardly Safra Katz - shes just a climb the ladder CFO with good fiancial tools. she will just be a shadow micro managing new CFO. shes not the right person - Although he / she does exist somewhere out there among 8 billion earthlings . but not her - she would be like the former cfo that mattel hired and practically bankrupted the largest most creative asset archive American toy company in a few years time - same would happen - Mattels CEO had the largest female ceo parachute package in history - she is no spring chicken at 70 years old. bill gates fires himself at 50 something - jeff bezos fired himself at 51 -now only dinosaur that needs to fire himself is iger- Great founders and ceos know when to fire themselves -
I say if anyone could run disney blindfolded it would be GM CEO Mary Barra - her resume makes this CFO look like someone out of an 1980s typist pool. Her big newb idea of recent was to reduce portions at disney parks to cut costs and she also added 2 cents about americas waistline could use improving -- not something to say to many many money spending Carmel corn chomping hard working Americans that are mostly fat or healthy joe dad - the average american woman is a 16-18 .

if this CFO is allowed to incestioully hog the C suites merry go round - mark my word Shes 1990 Disney Paris fiasco part deux 2 which Eisner Created by treating France as an Orlando centrally located horrible mistake eurpopens hate ruden french amd parisians hate americanism of disney - Eisner grossly misjudged hoarsed facta and withheld data / as we know it should of been built in barcelona spain - sea warm weather - however luckily eisners smarts and golden rolodex made the save in the 11th hour - eisner saves his job through a saudi prince - how many Americans know this ? not many
it's not like Disney Brags about ruthless human rights scion of agrewing to sell 90% disney to saudi prince hush hush it was a peraonal loan witj collateral against prince 17% ownership of citibank at the time - imagine a bank no bank globally would bail disney out - they easily could of gone bankrupt and not just paris joint venture
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-alwaleed-disney-20171106-story.html this article will explain --- the disaster M Eisner Created which eventually led to his soft ousting as he @ eisner is still the single largest stockholder of Disney even after all these years of not even working there. what the hell does this have to do with the leaderships changes - learn from history - and move on new talent like Mary Barra with a golden rolodex @ us president direct dial - not Ron Desntis like chapek and her pulles. out of their weak internal C suite nerd Rolodex - they will never get Mary Bara - GM would never let that happen- inba million years - Lee Iacocoa saved Chrysler who had less tham 300,000 cash in bank- He brought out caravan and it saved chrysler. Perhaps someone like Bill Ackerman but a CEO mindset a CEO is not annimagineer they honestly only need to make one good decison every day- could you.make one decision a day at Disney? . Of course not! becausw were obsessive Disneyphiles.
I ain’t reading all that. Congrats to you though, or sorry that happened.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Further, McCarthy's comments, specifically with regard to inflation, displayed exactly the type of balance you would expect from a senior leader of a service company. Immediately after the waist-line comment she said this:
It's an unnecessary backhanded comment that had no place as part of the discussion.

Maybe Disney Execs should shame those that can't afford their prices too?

Reporter: What about crowd management?
ToneDeafExec: Well, we can raise prices which will turn some customers off, but maybe that's a good thing for those who really shouldn't be there anyways...

pdude81

It's an unnecessary backhanded comment that had no place as part of the discussion.

Maybe Disney Execs should shame those that can't afford their prices too?

Reporter: What about crowd management?
ToneDeafExec: Well, we can raise prices which will turn some customers off, but maybe that's a good thing for those who really shouldn't be there anyways...
Yep, that might be good for some people's wallets.

Trauma

Yeah they all say the things people want to hear.

I only care about what they do.

SteveAZee

An absolutely must-see from Christine McCarthy if you want to gauge her credentials and, if you must, her actual looks. The video circles around Disney+ without mentioning it since it wasn't out yet. It also shows that she's very aware of the need for good content and good creatives since it's the heart of what they sell. She's not just a bean-counter looking at short-term gains. [Keep in mind that YouTube allows playing videos at a faster speed.]

And an absolutely must-read (or -listen) regarding the 2-Bob Drama and C-Suite handicapping.

She's good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom