News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
An absolutely must-see from Christine McCarthy if you want to gauge her credentials and, if you must, her actual looks. The video circles around Disney+ without mentioning it since it wasn't out yet. It also shows that she's very aware of the need for good content and good creatives since it's the heart of what they sell. She's not just a bean-counter looking at short-term gains. [Keep in mind that YouTube allows playing videos at a faster speed.]

And an absolutely must-read (or -listen) regarding the 2-Bob Drama and C-Suite handicapping.

Yes…she worked for Bob the great…

Everything he did looks so grand now…from parks that can’t find spots to put the customers…to 2 out of 3 big IP acquisitions kinda lost…to promising gold from a streaming service with no plan to do it…

Bread and circuses for everyone under emperor Iger

OrlandoRising

Skywise

Are you actually serious? If so... oof.

Making jokes (or being intentionally provocative), even if in poor taste, is not remotely equivalent to actually sexually harassing people. That's like suggesting someone who says "we should rob a bank" is the same as a person who shoots someone in the head.
Yes - There were also rumors and gossip that he was actually involved in such activities.
Just as I'm sure that there were NEVER any issues brought up to HR about Lassiter until one such coordinated social campaign in 2017.
Lassiter was never brought up on charges for his "sexual harassment" either criminally or civilly. He was ousted and, as I point out above, it may have been for other than stated reasons - same as the Chapek tenure.

Skywise

And still waiting for Iger to make parking free at the resorts again... or get rid of the park reservation system... or restore capacity to the parks... or bring back DME... or restore Park Hopping...

Y'know all of those things evil Bob Chapek instigated that made Iger have to come back.

UNCgolf

Yes - There were also rumors and gossip that he was actually involved in such activities.
Just as I'm sure that there were NEVER any issues brought up to HR about Lassiter until one such coordinated social campaign in 2017.
Lassiter was never brought up on charges for his "sexual harassment" either criminally or civilly. He was ousted and, as I point out above, it may have been for other than stated reasons - same as the Chapek tenure.

No there weren't. There were random people making stuff up but absolutely no credible evidence of any kind.

There was a ton of credible evidence around John Lasseter. He even admitted he'd made "mistakes" or "missteps" or something like that.

celluloid

All valid points. However, I was responding to a comment that said, "Walt Disney would fire them all," not some nuanced point about better business practices. Making everything about Walt is tiresome and unconstructive.
That is fair. I apologize for missing the reason you replied.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm in the parks now.

She ain't wrong.

There, now you can sabotage my run for Disney CEO with trotting out this tired complaint.
A ton of Americans are fat. You know full well that isn't why she advocated for smaller portion sizes. They're doing it to pad their financials, the end, nothing else. No one is falling for that gaslighting nonsense.

It also shows that she's very aware of the need for good content and good creatives since it's the heart of what they sell. She's not just a bean-counter looking at short-term gains.
Did you expect her to say anything other than "creatives and good content are important" in a public interview? No reasonably intelligent entertainment exec is going to say "yeah we don't care about creativity and the customer can kick rocks lololol", even if they otherwise fully believe that behind closed doors. Did you also believe the quotes from Bob Iger's WSJ puff piece where he claimed to be "alarmed at price hikes" in the parks? It's a gullible mind indeed that believes anyone at the executive level are honest and care about the quality of their products and the customer. That is a long bygone era.

LittleBuford

I mean, the picture is not even all that funny when it's not super zoomed in on her face. Honestly strange people are so fixated on it.

View attachment 683783
The only thing I can’t get past is how much I’m reminded of the character Lyn Scully from Neighbours whenever I see it. Fellow Brits may know who I’m referring to; ironically, there’s less chance that you will, despite being Australian yourself.

But yes, it’s a fine picture, and I too don’t understand why people are so fixated on her looks.

MerlinTheGoat

James Gunn made lewd jokes on twitter, he has never been accused of sexual harassment as far as I know. Lasseter was a sex pest whose accusations have included forced kissing, attempted groping and generally inappropriate comments/conversations with female Pixar staff. There aren't any doubts that he did it either. Disney has tried to keep a lid on it for a long time now, but it all eventually came out. Even then, they (in particular Zenia Mucha) tried to downplay it (the "unwanted hugs" PR story they put out). He has made no attempts to deny the allegations and has even made a general apology over his actions.

I don't even like Gunn and find his jokes to be extremely distasteful (I can laugh at a lot of crude humor, rape or child molestation jokes are past my limit). But there is a massive difference between what Gunn non-seriously said and what Lasseter very seriously did.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

An absolutely must-see from Christine McCarthy if you want to gauge her credentials and, if you must, her actual looks. The video circles around Disney+ without mentioning it since it wasn't out yet. It also shows that she's very aware of the need for good content and good creatives since it's the heart of what they sell. She's not just a bean-counter looking at short-term gains. [Keep in mind that YouTube allows playing videos at a faster speed.]

And an absolutely must-read (or -listen) regarding the 2-Bob Drama and C-Suite handicapping.

This quote was intriguing.

This is why you hear stories like, “Why did this Pixar movie go to Disney Plus and not go to theaters? Why did this TV show go here and not over there?” That is a DMED situation. Someone is deciding where they’re going to go and how much money they’re going to put into it instead of the actual creative teams.

This is my favorite example to talk to clients about. If you’re looking at your spreadsheet, and you’re just looking at numbers, moving something like a Pixar movie to Disney Plus might make sense. You might say, “Okay, there is value that we’re going to get from new subscribers coming in over a specific time period. We’re saving on marketing and printing costs and taking in between 85 percent and 100 percent of those signups, versus the 60 percent in theaters.”
That might make sense to you, but then you get pummeled by headlines that are like, “You are devaluing Pixar.” You have all these animators who are like, “Here’s why it’s important that we are in theaters at this time.” You have agents and other creatives who are saying, “Yeah, of course this is the issue. There is a whole reason we put stuff in theater sometimes. Obviously we’re trying to make money, but we sometimes make decisions not just based on finances and revenue.”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A ton of Americans are fat. You know full well that isn't why she advocated for smaller portion sizes. They're doing it to pad their financials, the end, nothing else. No one is falling for that gaslighting nonsense.

Did you expect her to say anything other than "creatives and good content are important" in a public interview? No reasonably intelligent entertainment exec is going to say "yeah we don't care about creativity and the customer can kick rocks lololol", even if they otherwise fully believe that behind closed doors. Did you also believe the quotes from Bob Iger's WSJ puff piece where he claimed to be "alarmed at price hikes" in the parks? It's a gullible mind indeed that believes anyone at the executive level are honest and care about the quality of their products and the customer. That is a long bygone era.
And so, Christine McCarthy derangement syndrome begins the moment she's whispered as the possible CEO.

All Disney execs are evil. Got it.

Lilofan

Lets get real. Lasseter harassed women while at Disney. He lost his job because of it.

Lilofan

Correct, as are the vast majority of execs in general. Derangement is thinking any of these people care about customers, or in fact anything other than money.
CEO responsibility
Focused on shareholder return
Hold staff accountable for profitability

Not meeting or exceeding goals, go look for another job or soon to be out of one

I would like to know which CEO role in a company doesn't have these responsibilities.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

CEO responsibility

Not meeting or exceeding goals, go look for another job or soon to be out of one

I would like to know which CEO role in a company doesn't have these responsibilities.
Putting out high quality and fairly priced products is a longterm strategy for success that will benefit both customers and shareholders alike. And that absolutely should be (and used to be) the policy the company commits to. The big wig shareholders are not the ones buying the park tickets, food, merch, D+ subs etc. And if we're arguing that a high quality and fairly priced product is antithetical to executive and shareholder interests, we're in BIG trouble as a society in general. But then again, I and most other sane people already knew that.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

CEO responsibility

The “serve shareholders to the exclusion of all else” is quite a new formulation, not some immutable commandment handed down from on high. It’s a philosophy that began to take hold in the mid to late-70s before running wild in the 80s. It has mutated well beyond what even the academics who defined it would have countenanced, becoming unsubtle and caricatured. It’s an artificial philosophy that more often then not harms or even destroys businesses in the long term.

And no, all Disney executives are not “evil,” they’re all marinated in that philosophy with a healthy dollop of arrogance and unwarranted self-regard mixed in, all cooked in an echo chamber of groupthink. The board is the same, as are all potential hires and the Wall Street intelligentsia that will judge Disney’s actions. It’s why, ultimately, the shift from Chapek to Iger to whoever comes next doesn’t mean much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom