News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

MrPromey

I think Lassiter might've made a great CEO - and that might be why he's not there anymore...
Interesting.

I've heard reported (by female employees) it was for other reasons.

He is creative, no doubt and probably at his core, not a bad guy when the alcohol is out of reach but that doesn't excuse creating an inappropriate work enviroment either from a legal or moral standpoint.

Last edited:

_caleb

Ok…I’ll play along…

Who?
This feels like a trap. I’m sure I’ll be mocked for this…

Specifically, I think Asa Kalama (WDI) would be great. Some will know (and judge) him from his work on SW:GE, but I think he’d be great if Iger picked him now and spent the next 18 mo. developing him. He’s a geek, a creative, understands the business side of things, tech, and he loves the parks.

Beth_Lynn

To touch upon one of the previous comments, I think she is perhaps Skar... And where's her heart? I've seen no evidence of it... Can she make it tangible to us? I'll believe it when I see it... and the fact I say that in and of itself proves there is no Disney magic surrounding her at this time... <sigh>

_caleb

To touch upon one of the previous comments, I think she is perhaps Skar... And where's her heart? I've seen no evidence of it... Can she make it tangible to us? I'll believe it when I see it... and the fact I say that in and of itself proves there is no Disney magic surrounding her at this time... <sigh>
Huh?

SpectroMagician

No. No no no no. Please no. As an MBA and finance person myself she is 100% not the right person for the CEO of a company like Disney.
Tom Staggs is the only real person who makes sense here. Everyone else is either not experienced enough or not good enough at their role.

SpectroMagician

Love and Thunder outperformed Ragnarok domestically and in every international market in which it was allowed to open. It’s total box office fell short of Ragnarok entirely because it wasn’t allowed to open in Russia or China. Wakanda Forever has no clear protagonist and is an ensemble film about grief. With that in mind it’s showing very strong legs with a very small third week drop. Star Wars has two critically and popularly acclaimed ongoing series, one with a huge cultural footprint, one in serious discussions as the best television program of the year. The franchise hasn’t had media this well received since 1983.

All entertainment ever made “pushes an agenda.” We’re just in an incredibly stupid phase of the culture war in which certain people are trying very hard to be offended.
I don't think you know what offended means. People are not offended by the content, they just think it is bad. The Disney Star Wars trilogy was trash. Kenobi was trash. Love and Thunder was Trash. So many others have been just plain bad.

If you are trying to make it out that people are fighting a culture war and that the content isn't just terrible then you are ignoring what is actually going on.

TP2000

Specifically, I think Asa Kalama (WDI) would be great. Some will know (and judge) him from his work on SW:GE, but I think he’d be great if Iger picked him now and spent the next 18 mo. developing him. He’s a geek, a creative, understands the business side of things, tech, and he loves the parks.

Bravo to you for thinking outside the box! Corporate America used to reward that type of thinking. But it doesn't any more, so it probably is just wishful thinking.

But good for you for being creative for a, you know, allegedly creative company.

Tom Staggs is the only real person who makes sense here. Everyone else is either not experienced enough or not good enough at their role.

Not picking on you specifically, because you aren't the only person to mention Tom Staggs. But when did he become an alluring figure to take the helm in Burbank? The man whom the Wall Street Journal described as an "oddly waifish man of anemic personality"???

Tom Staggs was pleasant enough when he was in your presence and speaking to you directly. But the Wall Street Journal was also accurate in that description. And he's the guy who can rescue Disney from its current predicament?

I'm baffled and confused by that. And I don't have an anemic personality, nor am I waifish, so I can't be the only one.

_caleb

I don't think you know what offended means. People are not offended by the content, they just think it is bad. The Disney Star Wars trilogy was trash. Kenobi was trash. Love and Thunder was Trash. So many others have been just plain bad.

If you are trying to make it out that people are fighting a culture war and that the content isn't just terrible then you are ignoring what is actually going on.
My opinions about those things seem to be the opposite of yours.

_caleb

Bravo to you for thinking outside the box! Corporate America used to reward that type of thinking. But it doesn't any more, so it probably is just wishful thinking.

But good for you for being creative for a, you know, allegedly creative company.
I mean- the man has been known to wear a cardigan. Surely that would have gotten Iger’s attention.

F0A60B5E-E43A-42B6-8604-093352F1F215.jpeg

Lilofan

Iger seems to really like running Disney. He was sure quick to come back! Retirement must have been boring. Looking back now, it does makes you wonder who really ran off Jay Rasulo, Tom Staggs, Kevin Mayer, John Lasseter...
Lasseter the drunk exec that couldn't keep his hands in his pockets , even had an assistant follow him to ensure he didn't get in trouble all didn't work. He screwed himself.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Your opinions are not universal. But yes, there are many people who hold the opinions you list who do so based on only on their perception of those films. I’m sure you are one.

That said, it’s delusional to pretend that Star Wars and, to a lesser extent, the MCU haven’t become huge culture war battlegrounds, with hordes of grievance mongering you-tubers and other internet dwellers profiting off of weaving narratives of victimhood. Indeed, with SW the culture warring has overflowed the boundaries of internet fandom to appear in media with a more general audience and even to be taken up by politicians.

I’d also point out that, outside of Thor, you didn’t actually mention the specific media I discussed. Instead you took wild, broad swings at popular hate objects.

PS: Man, when Disney finally gets around to the X-Men, it’s going to rip the internet to shreds…

esskay

It's quite baffling that the Disney board keep making these idiotic decisions about who should run the place. Time and time again when they've put an overly corporate bean counter in charge it's gone wrong. Sure, they cut the expenses, they increase profits, but it lasts a couple of quarters and then reality hits - they've ed off the customers.

They need an Isner/Wells style pairing at the top, it's far too big of a company for one person to be able to effectively take charge over at this point, and regardless of views of Isner, when he was with Wells the pair of them were pretty damn good. They 'got' what people wanted.

Igers first round as CEO was important. Whilst he loaded the company with a significant debt he massively increased their IP. Aquiring Fox might have been a step too far but I get why he did it.

The problem they've now got is that they've gone so hard on both Marvel and Star Wars that its starting to get tiring. They need a couple of new IP's there to work with, or need to step back from the two of them for a good 5 years.

McCarthy is quite obviously not a great pick here, but at the same time theres nobody within Disney who would be right for that role. Some people suggested the ousted Lasseter (who as a reminder was fired for a pretty good reason!). If you've read Steve Jobs autobiography, which goes into great detail about Pixar and Lasseter, you'd know he'd be a terrible choice for CEO. For one thing he wouldn't want it, but he's also too far on the creative side and wouldn't be able to even start to figure out the financials.

I've got no idea who should be running the company, but it sure isn't anyone in the current board.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes

NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell Expects Disney to Write ‘Big Check’ for Comcast’s Hulu Stake​

Disney has guaranteed a minimum total equity value of $27.5 billion, suggesting that Comcast’s share would be worth at least $9 billion.

This was Iger's baby from the start. Part of the Fox deal. Looks like Comcast wrote a great deal for themselves no matter how it pans out. $9 billion minimum to walk away. Interesting to see how Disney moves forward with Hulu. Will Iger spend another $9 Billion in 2024 for full control? That's more then Marvel and Lucasfilm cost Disney, COMBINED. Maybe they might sell Hulu to pay down some debt and introduce HotStar in the US for there general entertainment streamer? It's been successful in the rest of the world already. If they take full control of Hulu, do they take it international? They already have HotStar in markets outside the US. Or maybe they forget about general entertainment all together and just focus on Disney content for Disney+?
He'll probably change his mind on getting all of Hulu with him back and Chapek making the company bleed money.

esskay

If a CEO tried to be like Walt, Disney would close. Walt's quote

I don't make movies to make money, I make money to make more movies.
Agreed, you can't have a purely visionary focused leader, very few are capable of that job. You either need someone who's got both (i.e Steve Jobs but less...well..you know, less of a bum hole) or you need a strong pairing of a visionary and sensible money manager who are able to see eye to eye. I think this is why Wells/Eisner worked so well - but only when it was them as a pair.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It wasn’t a trap…except I thought you were saying WDI.

To each their own

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom