News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Heppenheimer

That will get me to the new park, but not the movie (as someone likewise who grew up with Nintendo). BUT, counter to that. My under 12 kids both play Mario Kart. Not only did that trailer appeal to them completely, they can't stop asking about when they will get to go see it.
Oh, I'm quite certain it will be largely preteens that decide the fate of this film. Adults, whether they be us Xers (hey, remember that we exist? Nah, didn't think so...), millenials and whoever else comes after that, despite the Mario nostaglia, probably won't flock to it, other than taking their kids.

JD80

The only piece I don't blame them for (obviously) is Chadwick Boseman's death. I think he could have been the next "top guy."

But when you read between the lines, it's like they thought Cap, Tony, Thor, and Hulk were all co-leads. They weren't. It was Cap and Tony, then a HUGE gap before you got to the next tier.

The only excuse for killing them both in the same movie would be if you had creative control of Spider-Man with an X-Men movie in the can.

Are we accounting for the actor's desire (or lack of) to continue in that role?

Jrb1979

Yeah, it’s this. I may never go to a movie theatre or take my kids to a theatre again. Why would I? I have a 70 inch tv screen and a great sound system in my living room. Disney needs to adapt to this, (and charge accordingly), not just try to force people back into theatres because of FOMO.
The way to adapt is instead of giving away a new movie. Make people buy it at home. They did that during Covid.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The point is that the original MCU Avengers were B-list even in the world of comics. Guardians were D.

Evans and Downey wanted out. This wasn't solely a Disney decision - actors have agency.

And the Marvel label DOES sell at this point. I just demonstrated that actual box office shows the MCU is going as strong as it ever was.
Which means it was the character portrayals that brought it though…see where I’m a going?

And the “label” wasn’t marvel…it was the holy D. Now the core marvel fans will be loyal to marvel. As long as they don’t mess it up and start to get told why they’re wrong if they don’t like it as much.
Don’t make past prologue…you’ll lose.

CaptainAmerica

Yes, for two reasons.

Reason 1: Every actor has some dollar amount where they could be persuaded to continue a role if the studio decided that's what the story needs. Now maybe Evans' and RDJ's asks were unreasonable, in which case we go to Reason 2...

Reason 2: If they were determined to exit the franchise, there are ways for Marvel have handled it better. Endgame was too much of a big bang conclusion with no sense of... "tune in next time to see what adventures our band of heroes gets into next."

Evans and Downey wanted out. This wasn't solely a Disney decision - actors have agency.
The actors can choose to leave but Marvel gets to decide how to write them out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a great Hollywood myth…but it’s just that. Watch the dozens of interviews where they’re asked. They say they’re out. That’s a contractural commentary…no “desire” was expressed. It’s what actors do.

RDJ wanted like $75 and residuals a pic…evans probably wanted $25-50…

I know it’s gross to watch the sausage being made…but it does in fact get made

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Which means it was the character portrayals that brought it though…see where I’m a going?

And the “label” wasn’t marvel…it was the holy D. Now the core marvel fans will be loyal to marvel. As long as they don’t mess it up and start to get told why they’re wrong if they don’t like it as much.
I don't really follow Marvel, but hasn't that already happened?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, for two reasons.

Reason 1: Every actor has some dollar amount where they could be persuaded to continue a role if the studio decided that's what the story needs. Now maybe Evans' and RDJ's asks were unreasonable, in which case we go to Reason 2...

Reason 2: If they were determined to exit the franchise, there are ways for Marvel have handled it better. Endgame was too much of a big bang conclusion with no sense of... "tune in next time to see what adventures our band of heroes gets into next."
They never expressed those desires. Roll tape. And why would they?

This is classic “Bob can’t lie” stuff. It’s silly to believe that at all. Every half truth is strategic.

People want to pay to get out of 2 hour lines for Peter Pan…they said so in surveys. But what if the question was phrased to ask what they really want?

Kamikaze

They did a lot of the world building before Disney had any influence. Even Avengers 1 doesn't carry the Disney logo.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't really follow Marvel, but hasn't that already happened?
…well that’s the can of worms, isn’t it?

I think it’s an open question. I don’t think it’s gotten bad yet personally.

Problem is there will be a line of people any minute now who shout you down if you even bring up the question.

correcaminos

As the story/legend goes…Iger has flirted with it for 15 years…quietly. Grain of salt though

That doesn’t mean there’s tons of money to be had on streaming…we’re 20 years into this and it’s still a struggle. 5 years ago Iger started telling Wall Street “but WE’LL be different…” that a frequent, but common mistake in the halls of money and power.

You’re only 29.5…that’s a long time, Helen-A….
That's rude ;) and I'm 29.5 plus shipping and handling. A lady never reveals her real age. Reality is Disney has been Disney for how many years? I don't think we'll see an Apple Disney anytime soon.

Kamikaze

They absolutely did…it stengthens my point based on the last 10 years of Disney. I think everything prior to age of Ultron was fleshed out or in the can?
Definitely was at least planned prior to the buyout, yes. I don't know how far it was actually fleshed out, but Feige definitely knew what he wanted to do at least through Ultron.

Which is why the Sequel Trilogy not being written all at once still absolutely baffles me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eh. You get some valid criticisms of the current content, but a lot of the complaints are neckbeards that don't want anything that isn't white men. So even if the content is good, they'll still complain.
…and right on queue.

People that push that are wrong. People telling you you’re one of them if you watch a story that sucks and that makes you one is equally wrong.

“Rey palpatine-skywalker” 😳

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Definitely was at least planned prior to the buyout, yes. I don't know how far it was actually fleshed out, but Feige definitely knew what he wanted to do at least through Ultron.

Which is why the Sequel Trilogy not being written all at once still absolutely baffles me.
See above…

1669824709016.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom