News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The can but do they want to?

Did anyone think to ask anyone at Apple before jumping to this conclusion?
As the story/legend goes…Iger has flirted with it for 15 years…quietly. Grain of salt though
How many months of a D+ subscription can you get for 1 trip to the theater to watch 1 movie with a family of 4?
That doesn’t mean there’s tons of money to be had on streaming…we’re 20 years into this and it’s still a struggle. 5 years ago Iger started telling Wall Street “but WE’LL be different…” that a frequent, but common mistake in the halls of money and power.
They won't at least doubtful in my lifetime. If they did... I'd likely bow out gracefully of going. Full disclosure, I'm more on the ledge now anyway.
You’re only 29.5…that’s a long time, Helen-A….

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For another park chain flourishing with a corporate sugar daddy, just head up I4. Comcast one of the least liked companies in America has showered Universal Studios with loads of cash to build up good will, and those parks have never been better because of Comcast.
This is 1000% true.

I believe their new park is a gamechanger…and i’m a tad of a “skeptic”…
But I really think it’s gonna cut into wdw…and I bet Iger knows it. The 3 years wasted of no projects starting was stupid.

When IOA opened…there was a lot of buzz around town that it was a “gamechanger”…and it was…for sea world. Disney’s lead was too great to penetrate at that time. It was a gnat on an elephant.

But the dynamics are different now.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

This is 1000% true.

But I really think it’s gonna cut into wdw…and I bet Iger knows it. The 3 years wasted of no projects starting was stupid.

When IOA opened…there was a lot of buzz around town that it was a “gamechanger”…and it was…for sea world. Disney’s lead was to great to penetrate at that time. It was a gnat on an elephant.

A lot of Disney defenders will say that WDW is already too crowded, that rising waters lifts all boats, etc., and that they can afford to lose a day or two of vacation days to the little cousin across town. But is that true? So much of the infrastructure (large number of rooms, internal transportation which is not easily reduced/removed) still relies upon the expectation that WDW is a vacation destination.

But put all that aside - how will almighty Wall Street react when attendance reports show Universal has three of the top four most attended parks in Orlando (if present trends continue) and TWDC has lost that much market share in an industry it had completely dominated?

Also, given the symbiotic nature of IP and the parks, check out the animation slate for 2023. If you were a betting man, who do you think will come out on top? Elemental/Wish, or Super Mario Bros/Trolls 3/Shrek 5?

montyz81

This is 1000% true.

When IOA opened…there was a lot of buzz around town that it was a “gamechanger”…and it was…for sea world. Disney’s lead was to great to penetrate at that time. It was a gnat on an elephant.

Confidence in Disneys magic has waned significantly, especially with the quality of experience coming dangerously close to Universal Studios of the 1990s

pdude81

This is 1000% true.

I'm honestly surprised Netflix hasn't dropped a couple billion dollars in Southwest Texas for their own theme park and entertainment complex. They have enough interesting IP and could license other things not yet sucked up by the other parks. It wouldn't make sense for Disney or Universal to compete further with themselves, but another player could mix things up and that would diversify the revenue stream over there.

Chapek seemed so focused on just making as much money as he can right now to ride out the bad times, but not investing in the future of the parks more is dangerous. Leaves you looking more like the Chevrolet of theme parks than the Cadillac. Reputations are hard to retrieve once lost.

Nubs70

As the story/legend goes…Iger has flirted with it for 15 years…quietly. Grain of salt though

That doesn’t mean there’s tons of money to be had on streaming…we’re 20 years into this and it’s still a struggle. 5 years ago Iger started telling Wall Street “but WE’LL be different…” that a frequent, but common mistake in the halls of money and power.

You’re only 29.5…that’s a long time, Helen-A….
Looking at a D+ subscription at $7.99/mo or $79/yr, I can buy a years worth of D+ for taking my family of 4 to the theater to see 1 movie a year. D+ cannibalizes theatrical releases. The only thing supporting theatrical release is FOMO.

Touchdown

Also, given the symbiotic nature of IP and the parks, check out the animation slate for 2023. If you were a betting man, who do you think will come out on top? Elemental/Wish, or Super Mario Bros/Trolls 3/Shrek 5?
Did you see the new trailer for Mario dropped yesterday? This is not a typical Illuminations picture you can tell they upped the quality. Also as a fan I loved how this trailer showed:
-Cranky Kong (and the poster showed Diddy and Dixie too)
-The plot will not be Peach getting kidnapped
-Bowser’s Army is not all Koopas (shout out to Goombas, Bob-bombs and Shy Guys)
-A Mario Kart/Rainbow Road sequence
-A herd of Yoshis
-Donky Kong and Mario fighting on a Super Smash Bros stage
-Tanooki Mario and Fire Peach (power ups!)

The only thing that isn’t 100% not working is Chris Pratt, but he’s growing on me. I suspect that this movie will be the top grossing animated movie of the year, especially since it will be opening in April which will allow for a long release window.

I promise you this, I will go to theatres for this movie.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Looking at a D+ subscription at $7.99/mo or $79/yr, I can buy a years worth of D+ for taking my family of 4 to the theater to see 1 movie a year. D+ cannibalizes theatrical releases. The only thing supporting theatrical release is FOMO.
Well the customers agree with you…because wakanda is 3+ weeks out…which means it’s gonna drop off the box office Cliff…well below industry estimates and half what the “everyone loves everything Disney everytime” movie pundits around here confidently insisted.

That’s 2 underperforming MCU “heavy hitters” in 6 months.

We still got avatar and layoffs at corporate, right? 😎👍🏻

Trauma

Did you see the new trailer for Mario dropped yesterday? This is not a typical Illuminations picture you can tell they upped the quality. Also as a fan I loved how this trailer showed:
-A herd of Yoshis

The only thing that isn’t 100% not working is Chris Pratt, but he’s growing on me. I suspect that this movie will be the top grossing animated movie of the year, especially since it will be opening in April which will allow for a long release window.

This movie will make more opening day than Strange World will make in total.

Universal could have the sequel ready to go for the opening of Epic Universe.

Can’t wait !

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think ESPN is a drag even now -- last I heard (a couple of years ago) it was still almost singlehandedly propping up the rest of Disney's media. It doesn't bring in the absolute insane revenue it did 20 years ago, but it's still one of the most profitable parts of Disney's business.
Their profitability/ad pull has shrunk dramatically for almost 15 years. They fire close to everyone.

Whatever it is…it isn’t what it was to Disneys accountants.

My experience is that college football fanatics defend espn…and nobody else seems to care

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You know Moana and dozens of other Disney movies were on Netflix before anyone had ever heard of Disney+, right? And that movies were airing on HBO and TNT and USA long before anyone had ever heard of Netflix?

Theatrical release hasn't been the exclusive home of feature films for 50 years. It's always been for people who want to see it now or see it on a big screen.

Kamikaze

This movie will make more opening day than Strange World will make in total.

Universal could have the sequel ready to go for the opening of Epic Universe.

Can’t wait !
The movie and the success of the rides/lands are completely separate. The existing rides in Tokyo are subpar, to put it mildly. At least one of those is coming here as a direct clone. The land itself, obviously, is immaculately themed. The DK coaster might be better than the Tokyo attractions, but it might not.

But yes, the movie will make a pile of money. I will see it day 1, but I have zero interest in SNW Orlando.

JoeCamel

Well the customers agree with you…because wakanda is 3+ weeks out…which means it’s gonna drop off the box office Cliff…well below industry estimates and half what the “everyone loves everything Disney everytime” movie pundits around here confidently insisted.

That’s 2 underperforming MCU “heavy hitters” in 6 months.

We still got avatar and layoffs at corporate, right? 😎👍🏻
Sounds like their forte is episodic series at this point. With the collapse of tent poles maybe a pivot to more of that type of production and use it on D+

Disstevefan1

DisStockFine1.jpg

EPCOT-O.G.

I'm honestly surprised Netflix hasn't dropped a couple billion dollars in Southwest Texas for their own theme park and entertainment complex. They have enough interesting IP and could license other things not yet sucked up by the other parks. It wouldn't make sense for Disney or Universal to compete further with themselves, but another player could mix things up and that would diversify the revenue stream over there.

Chapek seemed so focused on just making as much money as he can right now to ride out the bad times, but not investing in the future of the parks more is dangerous. Leaves you looking more like the Chevrolet of theme parks than the Cadillac. Reputations are hard to retrieve once lost.
Rides based on BRIGHT, Stranger Things, and the extended teenage depression universe?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
-A herd of Yoshis

You're very clearly a Nintendo fanboy, and I am too, but I think you're overestimating the general public. This movie will do very well, but most people have no idea who Cranky Kong is and don't pop at the sight of Fire Peach.

EPCOT-O.G.

You know Moana and dozens of other Disney movies were on Netflix before anyone had ever heard of Disney+, right? And that movies were airing on HBO and TNT and USA long before anyone had ever heard of Netflix?

Theatrical release hasn't been the exclusive home of feature films for 50 years. It's always been for people who want to see it now or see it on a big screen.
Yes, but, they have severely compressed the theatrical window. It used to be at least 6 months, and now it's like 30 or 45 days.

Trauma

The movie and the success of the rides/lands are completely separate. The existing rides in Tokyo are subpar, to put it mildly. At least one of those is coming here as a direct clone. The land itself, obviously, is immaculately themed. The DK coaster might be better than the Tokyo attractions, but it might not.

But yes, the movie will make a pile of money. I will see it day 1, but I have zero interest in SNW Orlando.
Galaxy’s edge has only one good ride that works half the time. If Nintendo isn’t for you they are building an entire park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom