News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know that’s my point, if you view something as an expense and it instead makes a profit, you’re not going to micromanage it and set the sharp pencil boys on it. This would be a significant improvement over the current status quo. The pencil boys would instead be set on the studios and streaming.
Good point.

I appreciate the conversation - by the way. Respectful and productive.

It’s how it should be. ( I’ve spent a week reading the same pathetic excuses for Disney making bad Star Wars…this is a breath of fresh air)

Last edited:

correcaminos

Apples strength has always been the simplicity of its OS and the otherworldly stability of its devices. They just have always been the easiest to use and least likely for blue screen. Which is why all the other computer makers during the “boom” are gone…and a lot of the cellphone makers too.

Who remains? The might of google, dell and HP…more or less…
Samsung for phones at least globally are huge. I even jumped on them for the phenomenal camera. Both macro and 100x zoom have gotten me. Dark colored animals as well. Seriously crazy good. My friend tried to reproduce moon shots and came up with a blurry circle after I got this
20220811_225159.jpg

But yeah to the rest. And Apple buying Disney just seems odd. I do think I understand that real connection.

Trauma

How do people feel about Disney if Apple buys them?

I really lack the words to describe what I mean, but its something to do with some hard to describe emotional connection to something I can’t exactly put my finger on.

It’s not “Where going to Disney World” it’s where going to “Apple Disney Place”

It’s like it would be the indisputable confirmation of the fact that we know, but all try to deny, that Disney is nothing but a soulless corporation.

Nubs70

The problem is every parent realizes it's much easier to deal with the kids when it's at home. Taking kids, especially multiple kids to a movie theater is a huge PITA.

Long term I can see the traditional movie theater model dying all together as there's really no real advantage to the big screen model other than it being a big screen and Large format TV's are only getting more affordable.
How many months of a D+ subscription can you get for 1 trip to the theater to watch 1 movie with a family of 4?

correcaminos

How do people feel about Disney if Apple buys them?

I really lack the words to describe what I mean, but its something to do with some hard to describe emotional connection to something I can’t exactly put my finger on.

It’s not “Where going to Disney World” it’s where going to “Apple Disney Place”

It’s like it would be the indisputable confirmation of the fact that we know, but all try to deny, that Disney is nothing but a soulless corporation.
They won't at least doubtful in my lifetime. If they did... I'd likely bow out gracefully of going. Full disclosure, I'm more on the ledge now anyway.

BobPar

The can but do they want to?

Did anyone think to ask anyone at Apple before jumping to this conclusion?
Oh trust me. Im not saying they want to or even jumping to any conclusion but Apple imo right now is stale & im a big lover of AAPL… so i think their name is mentioned bc it was rumored in the past & does make a nice fit.

jpinkc

I would not be surprised if Iger isnt planning on trying to merge DIS with someone. It all feeds into him being a Great Business man (ego), but I dont see Apple as a good fit. The only ones in my mind would be let Oriental Land Company take over. They at least appreciate the parks and know how to run them. Apple might buy the Movies and Media sides but I dont think they would want the parks. Yes the Parks are where the money is at, ATM, but in the long run the Media (TV,Movies,etc) TWDC controls will probably make much more.

HauntedMansionFLA

That’s always possible too. But remember they have never lost one cent in parks…not for one second of one day. They had an elaborate scheme to be on the hook at euro and then thought China wanted parks because of sweatshops.
When Disney has been “in it to win it” at parks…they’ve always won it

Did you have lobotomy this week? The Star Wars stuff and now this?

It’s IGER And he never really left…just laid low for what amounted to 15 months.

“who they are?”
Didn’t Iger try and sell off the parks around 2007/2008??

Laketravis

Personally I don't see much of a future in streaming for Disney. Disney+ enjoyed phenomenal subscriber growth shortly after it's debut solely because of Covid. Parents subscribed to keep their school aged at-home remote learners occupied. Now? They no longer need it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Personally I don't see much of a future in streaming for Disney. Disney+ enjoyed phenomenal subscriber growth shortly after it's debut solely because of Covid. Parents subscribed to keep their school aged at-home remote learners occupied. Now? They no longer need it.
D+ subs grew every quarter. How do you explain an extra 3 million this past quarter now that the pandemic is effectively over? How do you explain the rise of Netflix before the pandemic?

VJ

I would not be surprised if Iger isnt planning on trying to merge DIS with someone. It all feeds into him being a Great Business man (ego), but I dont see Apple as a good fit. The only ones in my mind would be let Oriental Land Company take over. They at least appreciate the parks and know how to run them.
to be completely honest, OLC buying the parks is not gonna happen the way you think. the reason why the japanese parks work so well is because they're in japan - the japanese people and culture have a class and respect that just isn't america's thing anymore, and it hasn't been for a long while

if you want the disney parks to be run better, you're gonna have to change american culture as a whole... and good luck with that

Laketravis

D+ subs grew every quarter. How do you explain an extra 3 million this past quarter now that the pandemic is effectively over? How do you explain the rise of Netflix before the pandemic?

I was referring to the future, not the past. For which performance doesn't necessarily predict the....well, you know.

As far as Netflix goes, I fully expect churn to accelerate and those gains turn into monthly losses:

1669785489404.png

Last edited:

TwilightZone

I think D+ still has its place for easy to access, brand recognized, (usually) high quality kids fare (plus all the adult fans), especially compared to other services. The question is, how do you keep that momentum up.

jpinkc

to be completely honest, OLC buying the parks is not gonna happen the way you think. the reason why the japanese parks work so well is because they're in japan - the japanese people and culture have a class and respect that just isn't america's thing anymore, and it hasn't been for a long while

if you want the disney parks to be Orun better, you're gonna have to change american culture as a whole... and good luck with that
Oh I get OLC buying it is a pipe dream. Yes our culture is not what it was too. I just cant see another Visionary that could run TWDC. Like I said before they need a Walt 2.0 and I cant think of anyone who would fit that mold today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom