News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

JoeCamel

You know Moana and dozens of other Disney movies were on Netflix before anyone had ever heard of Disney+, right? And that movies were airing on HBO and TNT and USA long before anyone had ever heard of Netflix?

Theatrical release hasn't been the exclusive home of feature films for 50 years. It's always been for people who want to see it now or see it on a big screen.
The rise of the huge home theatres may dim those who need the big screen experience. In the past the quality of the video and audio far surpassed anything that could reasonably be installed at home so you went to the movies. Today for a few thousand you can have the same Dolby sound, atmospheric lighting, comfortable furniture with a 100" screen plus the bonus of your own refrigerator, toilet and a PAUSE button.

Kamikaze

Well the customers agree with you…because wakanda is 3+ weeks out…which means it’s gonna drop off the box office Cliff…well below industry estimates and half what the “everyone loves everything Disney everytime” movie pundits around here confidently insisted.

That’s 2 underperforming MCU “heavy hitters” in 6 months.

We still got avatar and layoffs at corporate, right? 😎👍🏻

You know Moana and dozens of other Disney movies were on Netflix before anyone had ever heard of Disney+, right? And that movies were airing on HBO and TNT and USA long before anyone had ever heard of Netflix?

Theatrical release hasn't been the exclusive home of feature films for 50 years. It's always been for people who want to see it now or see it on a big screen.
I foresee them moving out the D+/VOD releases for movies to 4-5 months instead of 45/90 days. That's the difference between now and the previous 50+ years. And it would cut into the people waiting for the release and not seeing it in theaters.

Avatar is going to be a major problem. To the point where the other movies being released is in doubt. I was sure of it before, but now with China not a sure thing for a pile of money, its going to be bad.

Kamikaze

Did you see the new trailer for Mario dropped yesterday? This is not a typical Illuminations picture you can tell they upped the quality. Also as a fan I loved how this trailer showed:
-Cranky Kong (and the poster showed Diddy and Dixie too)
-The plot will not be Peach getting kidnapped
-Bowser’s Army is not all Koopas (shout out to Goombas, Bob-bombs and Shy Guys)
-A Mario Kart/Rainbow Road sequence
-A herd of Yoshis
-Donky Kong and Mario fighting on a Super Smash Bros stage
-Tanooki Mario and Fire Peach (power ups!)

The only thing that isn’t 100% not working is Chris Pratt, but he’s growing on me. I suspect that this movie will be the top grossing animated movie of the year, especially since it will be opening in April which will allow for a long release window.

I promise you this, I will go to theatres for this movie.

The general public cares (or knows) about zero of what you listed. And when you're talking 'blockbuster movie', you need the general public, not just the fandom.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sounds like their forte is episodic series at this point. With the collapse of tent poles maybe a pivot to more of that type of production and use it on D+
It seems all but painfully clear at this point that there no money in that.

When the smoke clears from this chapek stuff…the foundation of the “problem” here is that investors don’t believe that D+ is a gamechanger. We have to read between the lines.

EPCOT-O.G.

You're very clearly a Nintendo fanboy, and I am too, but I think you're overestimating the general public. This movie will do very well, but most people have no idea who Cranky Kong is and don't pop at the sight of Fire Peach.
Sonic, who while popular, doesn't have the same cache as Mario. Mario games are routinely the highest grossing on Nintendo platforms, and some of the best-selling of all time. I bring this up because the Sonic films have done quite well, the last one grossing twice what Lightyear made. I think this is going to be massively popular - kids love it, and old Gen X'ers like me will also eat it up.

montyz81

I'm honestly surprised Netflix hasn't dropped a couple billion dollars in Southwest Texas for their own theme park and entertainment complex. They have enough interesting IP and could license other things not yet sucked up by the other parks. It wouldn't make sense for Disney or Universal to compete further with themselves, but another player could mix things up and that would diversify the revenue stream over there.

Chapek seemed so focused on just making as much money as he can right now to ride out the bad times, but not investing in the future of the parks more is dangerous. Leaves you looking more like the Chevrolet of theme parks than the Cadillac. Reputations are hard to retrieve once lost.
Accept that Disney used to be the Rolls Royce of themed entertainment. Being the Cadillac makes them on par with Universal. Cadillac, in my mind, is like cheap luxury.

Touchdown

You're very clearly a Nintendo fanboy, and I am too, but I think you're overestimating the general public. This movie will do very well, but most people have no idea who Cranky Kong is and don't pop at the sight of Fire Peach.
You know who are big Nintendo fans? Kids, and thanks to the Switch’s amazing sales numbers a whole lot of them are Mario Fans. You know who are also big Nintendo Fans? Their parents, who were kids during Mario Mania of the late 80s/early 90s. Look at how well Sonic did a few years ago, Mario is far more popular and sells a whole lot more games. This is the Lego Movie all over again (an animated non Disney movie that most wrote off as a cheap toy commercial that because it was made with love and affection towards the source material and a good movie cleaned up at the box office, oh and it’s going to be released during an unpopular time of year so will completely dominate pop culture for a few weeks.)

Kamikaze

COVID. They have never said "we collapsed the window to 30 days and we're keeping it the forever."

I doubt The Way of Water will be on Disney+ before the summer.
So its interesting because this movie is under 20th, and under a previous deal with HBO to release there (the last movie in that deal). Its going to be on both platforms, but Disney gets to set the day it releases. They might drag it out just so HBO doesn't get any benefit.

CaptainAmerica

When the smoke clears from this chapek stuff…the foundation of the “problem” here is that investors don’t believe that D+ is a gamechanger.
People are watching the wrong game.

Disney+ isn't supposed to be a gamechanger vis-a-vis Theatrical. It's supposed to be a gamechanger vis-a-vis linear television, i.e. Freeform, Disney Channel, Junior, XD, FX, FXX, FXM, NatGeo, NatGeo Wild, and maybe even Grandma ABC herself.

They're not trying to replace box office revenue, they're trying to replace cord-cutter affiliate fees from Comcast and the like. They still want the box office revenue, but COVID took that away from them for a period of time.

CaptainAmerica

So its interesting because this movie is under 20th, and under a previous deal with HBO to release there (the last movie in that deal). Its going to be on both platforms, but Disney gets to set the day it releases. They might drag it out just so HBO doesn't get any benefit.
Interesting, I knew it was on that deal but I thought Disney had bought their way out of all those legacy agreements.

EPCOT-O.G.

COVID. They have never said "we collapsed the window to 30 days and we're keeping it the forever."

I doubt The Way of Water will be on Disney+ before the summer.
No, but it's something the studios have been pushing for for awhile. And it's typically never broadcast - but you can't deny that it affects viewing habits when you've been trained to just wait it out a few more weeks and you can watch it for "free" on one of your many services.

Example - I haven't been able to get around to see Black Adam. Usually see those films within a week or two of release. Busy with life and work, couldn't make it out. With the trajectory of the box office, and the fact it's already available for purchase, I figure I'll be watching this one at home before the kids are on Christmas break.

DKampy

The problem is every parent realizes it's much easier to deal with the kids when it's at home. Taking kids, especially multiple kids to a movie theater is a huge PITA.

Long term I can see the traditional movie theater model dying all together as there's really no real advantage to the big screen model other than it being a big screen and Large format TV's are only getting more affordable.
The problem is I don’t know how viable streaming is… no one is profiting yet… plus you continuously have to create new content to keep up with competition…I guess maybe they will end up with commercials and it will be the new cable… but if movie theaters die…I see quality suffering on the streaming service…so far it is not working as well as they thought

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The worst financial-meets-creative decision they could have made was killing Steve and Tony in the same movie. Endgame very clearly told audiences "you've been with us all along, but you have permission to abandon ship now because this story is over."
👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Not to go “Pro”…but The thing that sucks on these forums - especially for me - is how unfortunately accurate I’ve been on my predictions.

If you check the tape…I believe I nailed that one too. Big stupid mistake. They were the pillars and they disposed of them for fringe characters. It would be like offing luke Skywalker for nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom