News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Would you mind buying me a subscription to the WSJ so that I can read these?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Would you mind buying me a subscription to the WSJ so that I can read these?
1669645320233.png

Disstevefan1

Here's a NYT article:

"Investors now want to see old-fashioned profit in streaming."

"He [Iger] cannot simply continue on the path he laid out before he left, as the landscape has changed materially,” Richard Greenfield, a founder of the LightShed Partners research firm, wrote with two colleagues in a client note on Tuesday.

"... the problems can’t all be laid at Mr. Chapek’s feet."

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Here's a NYT article:

"Investors now want to see old-fashioned profit in streaming."

"He [Iger] cannot simply continue on the path he laid out before he left, as the landscape has changed materially,” Richard Greenfield, a founder of the LightShed Partners research firm, wrote with two colleagues in a client note on Tuesday.
It's hysterical to me. Chapek got canned for implementing Iger's streaming strategy. So they brought in Iger to fix it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My only comments on the Star Wars bruhaha - Kathleen Kennedy created the "Lucasfilm Story Group", hired Kiri Hart for it, and greenlit The Last Jedi. Those decisions alone should have resulted in her "spending more time with her family" years ago.

It's hysterical to me. Chapek got canned for implementing Iger's streaming strategy. So they brought in Iger to fix it.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, who was the same as the old boss, who is now the new boss. It enough to make your head hurt.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My only comments on the Star Wars bruhaha - Kathleen Kennedy created the "Lucasfilm Story Group", hired Kiri Hart for it, and greenlit The Last Jedi. Those decisions alone should have resulted in her "spending more time with her family" years ago.
Wait, why don't we like the Lucasfilm Story Group? I thought the Lucasfilm Story Group was just Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee slapping novelists on the wrist when they try to do something that goes against established canon.

OrlandoRising

This is where I find it a bit hard to follow who is supposed to be responsible for what among executives. Chapek was head of the parks and then CEO during a period a lot of changes many people don't like were implemented at the parks, but in both positions he was apparently just implementing Iger's vision and never had much time as CEO to get out from under Iger anyway. So, now with Iger back the narrative is that we shouldn't feel too happy because he was ultimately responsible for the bad stuff that happened under Chapek rather than Chapek being a driving force for that in both positions. However, when Chapek was promoted to CEO and Josh D'Amaro became head of the parks, D'Amaro is supposed to be bad because he acts all nice and charming but in reality is just implementing Chapek/Iger's vision.

So, does the head of P&R really have much control over what happens in the division or is it mainly down to the CEO at the time?
Iger did not have a reputation of micromanaging segment heads like Chapek, though any major project or change would have needed his sign off. Chapek was different as CEO because the pandemic provided the chances to make much larger changes and the company could use the parks to create new revenue streams as other divisions struggled.

It's really Wall Street's streaming strategy. Every investor rewarded big bets on streaming in 2018 and 2019, no matter the initial losses.

matt9112

"Old-fashioned profit". How quaint. It's like the investors want Disney to make money or something.

It’s more the valuation to me. Every company spends money on things that don’t generate revenue instantly. Apple with R&D for example or a more precise example would be biotech. Years and years without a single penny draining investor capital while they navigate the web of government regulation and trials.

The issue is disney WANTS to be valued at a multiple like apple or any other big tech. When in reality they should be valued just like Comcast (multiplier ratio not dollar value)

FigmentFan82

Ep8 made significantly less money than Ep7. $1.3 billion worldwide compared to $2 billion of the previous one. Which might still seem like a lot of money to the general public, but the executives and investors were quite disappointed. Solo of course also contributed to the problem even prior. And then Ep9 further underperformed Ep8.
Historically, most movies in a series see diminishing returns in B.O. There are definitely exceptions to this, but it's mostly what happens.

Lil Copter Cap

It’s more the valuation to me. Every company spends money on things that don’t generate revenue instantly. Apple with R&D for example or a more precise example would be biotech. Years and years without a single penny draining investor capital while they navigate the web of government regulation and trials.

The issue is disney WANTS to be valued at a multiple like apple or any other big tech. When in reality they should be valued just like Comcast (multiplier ratio not dollar value)

This is tangentially related, so forgive me if it comes off as someone speaking from left field.

Disney Parks have been known to design loss leaders, at least initially. As one example, not every merchandise store location likely turns a profit for the parks, but they add to the environment, provide covering, shade, A/C, and overall ambiance to a land. This is why, in my opinion, Toy Story Land didn't open with a full-on merchandise location, just stands and kiosks. And now they've spent extra money on renovating a space for a gift shop post-Toy Story Mania and green umbrellas to provide covering. Heck, even merchandise stores for Epic Universe have been cut down from their original plans because of this idea alone.

These loss leaders are important, but Chapek (and execs, in general) want EVERYTHING to turn a profit—thus the IP mandate for Disney creations. It's a safer bet to make money. (I would argue it is not safer, but what do I know...)

Disney Parks, and theme parks generally speaking, NEED loss leaders.

AEfx

Wait, why don't we like the Lucasfilm Story Group? I thought the Lucasfilm Story Group was just Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee slapping novelists on the wrist when they try to do something that goes against established canon.
When everything went down (and I was one of the ones staunchly defending the purchase and thought that Disney was the perfect place for Star Wars to end up for a whole bunch of reasons) we were told that the "Story Group" would oversee continuity and the overall storylines for everything - so every bit of media, tie-in, video game, etc. would flow from one source and would be planned out.

Turns out, they did that with everything BUT the most important part - the theatrical films/sequel trilogy. There was absolutely no plan for the trilogy itself. Presumably, they did this so they could bring in hot-to-trot directors who otherwise would have not wanted to do them without the creative control they ended up being afforded. And we all know how that went down - like them or not, we know for a fact now that each film was basically from scratch, there was no story arc, and we ended up with the disjointed films we ended up with.

Disstevefan1

Isn't Bobby I. supposed to be releasing some info today?

Speculation?

DME is back
Imagination redo is in full swing
All ticket prices are now 50% cheaper in perpetuity
Here's mine -
Theme parks and resorts - PPR's not needed if you purchase a dated ticket. APs will need them. And New APs will go on sale at the previously announced price increases. Prices for everything in the parks will increase at the normal intervals. DME not returning. DVC properties will continue to be built and added, possibly making the Star cruiser a DVC.

Content for Big screen and D+ - TWDC will continue to create content with a focus on increasing TWDC's ESG score as a part of their storytelling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom