News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

denyuntilcaught

Anyone find it fishy the board just called up Bob on a Thursday night and said "come back". Bob chirped up with "sure why not?"
And on Sunday a legend was born?
Seems to fly in the face of due dilligence
That's not what happened. That's the narrative for the news cycle, but guarantee that's not what actually happened.

Mmoore29

Congrats!

Unfortunately your personal boundaries do not define them for others. So time to move on.
Well, when Pixar was gearing up in the '90s, the press reported on Lasseter's hugs quite approvingly, saying it was proof that he's a real great guy.

Let's also be real for one thing here: A lot of all this is people reinventing the past and rewriting history to suit the social climate. Lasseter's hugs used to be understood in their proper context. Now they're not, they're just grist for the "Dirty Laundry" scandal mill. Don Henley continues to be proven right.

TwilightZone

As the father of a 4 and 1 year old, can they please just bring back Mickey Mouse Clubhouse? Mickey Mouse Funhouse was a complete dud, but the formula for Clubhouse has this almost magic appeal to them... My wife in particular needs something new to playing in the background to help her sanity.

Some new episodes of The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse would be nice too.

Yes, I need things to distract my kids...
I remember when people disliked MMC, but honestly it was the best thing to happen to Mickey in years up to that point. I remember catching glimpses of it at an age where I considered myself "too old" for preschool shows, and finding myself charmed with it. It's a solid educational show.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
One interesting observation is that not everything has been fawning press coverage over Iger, which is a remarkable change. Surprisingly, the financials like CNBC and WSJ has been fairly evenly split on negative/positive pieces. Fox has gone all negative. Even CNN and Bloomberg have taken a moderated stance.

Conversely, the entertainment trade publications are going all in on Iger. Very interesting perspective on coverage all around.

Dranth

Well, when Pixar was gearing up in the '90s, the press reported on Lasseter's hugs quite approvingly, saying it was proof that he's a real great guy.

Let's also be real for one thing here: A lot of all this is people reinventing the past and rewriting history to suit the social climate. Lasseter's hugs used to be understood in their proper context. Now they're not, they're just grist for the "Dirty Laundry" scandal mill. Don Henley continues to be proven right.
It wasn't just the hugs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You don't get a designated handler assigned to you simply because you give hugs.

You don't throw away the single biggest piece of a multibillion dollar enterprise because 'hes a hugger'.

I don't know why you have your head in the sand on this one... the guy crossed all kinds of lines to the point where it was no longer sustainable for the company to bury it. Accept it and move on.

TalkingHead

Perhaps. I do think it is curious that no-one who has worked for Disney has yet (at least that I've seen) expressed any warm feelings toward Chapek.
Why would they? They want to work and Iger’s back on the throne.

Chapek had become the scapegoat for every underperforming creative disappointment from any entertainment division under the Disney banner. You’d think he had prevented all these creatives from producing good work. Was Rise of Skywalker his fault? Was Galaxy’s Edge? Was Lightyear? Was Strange World (assuming it bombs)? And so on.

Mmoore29

You don't get a designated handler assigned to you simply because you give hugs.

You don't throw away the single biggest piece of a multibillion dollar enterprise because 'hes a hugger'.

I don't know why you have your head in the sand on this one... the guy crossed all kinds of lines to the point where it was no longer sustainable for the company to bury it. Accept it and move on.
You don't accept a hatchet job piece in THR as absolute gospel, especially when evidence doesn't come out to establish it as fact. There is nothing to it. Accept it and move on.

Mmoore29

Why would they? They want to work and Iger’s back on the throne.

Chapek had become the scapegoat for every underperforming creative disappointment from any entertainment division under the Disney banner. You’d think he had prevented all these creatives from producing good work. Was Rise of Skywalker his fault? Was Galaxy’s Edge? Was Lightyear? Was Strange World (assuming it bombs)? And so on.
Strange World looks like it'll do well, people are just itching to give the company black eyes. Rise of Skywalker was a success and did well, so there's nothing to complain about. Removing Turning Red, Luca and Soul from theatrical releases were definite disasters, and they would've done well. If they had, Lightyear would've easily been able to ride that momentum.

TwilightZone

Pixar is in worse shape than WDAS. They haven't had a homerun since 2017 no matter how much they try to convince us that Soul is something we should care about.
I wouldn't really say that entirely.

1669069051246.png

Of this list, Soul, Luca, and Turning Red were huge successes. I still see Turning Red memes from the twitter crowd, that amounts to a lot. It seems that the 3 misses: TS4, Onward, and Lightyear were just such huge on how they missed that they overshadow how well the hits turned out. What Pixar needs to work on is more original stories, less Toy Story sequels, and less stories that feel like they were churned out from a machine (Onward, Lightyear).

Mmoore29

I wouldn't really say that entirely.

View attachment 680014

Of this list, Soul, Luca, and Turning Red were huge successes. I still see Turning Red memes from the twitter crowd, that amounts to a lot. It seems that the 3 misses: TS4, Onward, and Lightyear were just such huge on how they missed that they overshadow how well the hits turned out. What Pixar needs to work on is more original stories, less Toy Story sequels, and less stories that feel like they were churned out from a machine (Onward, Lightyear).
The only bona fide "miss" Pixar has ever done is The Good Dinosaur. All other movies are good to great. It's just that simple. They're wonderful films, and I hate the handwringing, teeth gnashing and narrow-minded standards of "A Pixar movie should be this." I'm sick of that. The problem is you. Not the movies. YOU.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom