News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I haven't been following the Disney corporate maneuvers that closely, but wasn't one of Chapek's more controversial decisions within the company to remove the budgetary decisions for each division so that they needed to have their budget approved directly by his subordinate? Maybe restoring some of the independence of divisions might go a long way, rather than being micromanaged from the top.
Yes, but Wall Street doesn't care about that. In fact, the idea of a budgeting czar for their studios is something they'd applaud.

TalkingHead

If they touch Feige it will be one of the four or five stupidest moves in Hollywood history. Anyone who didn't sell their Disney stock the minute that news hit would be a fool. The MCU is a miracle of consistency unlike anything pop culture has ever seen and Feige is one of the greatest producers in history - Thalberg or Selznick level.

It's more a question of whether Feige is considering jumping ship - or used the threat to help push Chapek out the door, just as he did with Perlmutter.
Typical hyperbole. He’s not remotely the production genius that Thalberg and Selznick were. Feige’s genius was building a franchise around continuity star casting and post-credits tags. The last few years have shown how much luck was involved, and how they’ve failed to replace the A team with equivalent parts. Know who should be most excited about Iger’s return? Robert Downey’s bank account.

fgmnt

Iger aimed the car directly at the ditch and then handed Chapek the wheel, then Chapek got blamed for the wreck. I genuinely do not understand the excitement about Iger's return in this regard.
The PR machine built under Iger puts long storied histories of state-run propaganda networks to shame. Russia should have hired them out when Bob the Elder left Burbank.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Which is exactly why none of the things people are hoping will change actually will.
Yep. What I posted in a similar thread applies here (please excuse the double-posting)...

Hey folks. You know that one thing you really don't like about parks or Disney content?

It is almost certain that Chapek wasn't fired for that one thing.

So, Iger coming back isn't going to 'fix' that one thing.

This applies to: Genie+, Park Reservations, reduced live entertainment, slow construction, any sort of perceived agenda in Disney content, that executive you irrationally hate who was only doing what they were told or said that mildly off-putting thing once, that contentious retheme, the lighting in New Fantasyland being too dark at night, IPs where they don't belong, old Disney TV content that still hasn't made it to D+, that popcorn light that's still out, lack of daily mousekeeping at some resorts, Disney Springs only playing Pentatonix CDs at Christmas time, EPCOT having never-ending festivals, etc...

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Screenshot_20221121-084045_Instagram.jpg

Iger aimed the car directly at the ditch and then handed Chapek the wheel, then Chapek got blamed for the wreck. I genuinely do not understand the excitement about Iger's return in this regard.
Not only that but Iger pressed the gas and jumped out of the car.

Still, I get the optimism. I think there’s a misunderstanding at how slowly changes typically take place from planning to implementation. All the recent unpopular changes at implementation saw Chapek at the helm. It’s natural to want to attribute those to Chapek. I think Disney could have put just about anyone in Chapeks place and people would be happy. I think people miss the early years of Iger which was cleaning up the late years of Eisner.

Iger reduced some in park entertainment, raised prices a lot, and (potentially unpopular opinions) a just ok expansion of TSL and GE lands. They’re immersive but have only two attractions each. One of the four breaks down frequently. TSL lacks shade and food options. Still a net positive for capacity reasons but it could have and should have been more. There’s so much content to draw from in those worlds.

I think Disney needs some fresh eyes as CEO but Chapek wasn’t it. Iger is both a step forward and backwards. Let’s hope his next pick as CEO in waiting is better than his last.

Club34

If park reservations go, it will all be worth it. When your policy (or position) reads like an Onion headline, you are doing it wrong.

So currently at Disney, I pay the mouse thousands of dollars for a vacation which for most includes tickets into the parks but now if I don't have a reservation to these parks I don't get in. 😐 That. Is. Insane. Make it go away.

BobPar

The parks are making record breaking revenue/profit. It's not in decline financially.
They are but i think maybe they have finally realized that doing this by simply charging more & more & more is not a healthy financial plan going forward... again they have put the man who started this disaster back at the helm. Is he gonna change and realize his mistakes or just continue on and run the company the same way...

fgmnt

They need someone to triage animation and live action. What's the last non-marvel Disney/20th Century movie anyone gave a crap about? Quietly having its worst performance since the mid 2000s. Well I guess not so quietly anymore.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The parks are making record breaking revenue/profit. It's not in decline financially.
Yeah but I still think a lot of this is from post Covid/no mask surges. There are many who have visited the parks since changes (genie+ etc) and higher prices that say they won’t be back or as often as before. We’ll see if that’s true.

The parks need to expand, big time, and make it easier to enjoy

fotofx

If park reservations go, it will all be worth it. When your policy (or position) reads like an Onion headline, you are doing it wrong.

So currently at Disney, I pay the mouse thousands of dollars for a vacation which for most includes tickets into the parks but now if I don't have a reservation to these parks I don't get in. 😐 That. Is. Insane. Make it go away.
I think the one thing we can all agree on is the park reservation system HAS TO GO..

Ghost93

It's been now establish that the Daredevil and Kingpin of the MCU (in Hawkeye, No Way Home, and She-Hulk) are not of the same universe as their Netflix Marvel counterparts.
Where has that been established? What official source explicitly said the Netflix shows are not from the same universe as the main saga?

Ismael Flores

Actually those hunting "for sport" are helping conserve food that is grown and eaten by the animals they're killing. They also help with population control and keeping disease at a minimum among the herds.
So you mean the circle of life?
Every time humanity has tried to be the ones to control things we end up creating a new disease or throwing things off balance and eliminate a species.
-Introduce a mosquito to eliminate
something then we got a new mosquito spreading virus.
hunting for sports should not be necessary for animal or disease control if we let nature take care of it.
If we hadn’t decimated certain animals that hunt and help species population we wouldn’t have that problem instead some prey over populate and spreads disease

It’s the same issue in many contries where hunting for sports or hunting because someone decides to move somewhere where there is wildlife and are surprised that they might kill their stock or pet.
Hunting should be done as a means for survival not as a means for sport or to prove to someone that they big cojones.

I have a neighbor that gets so annoyed because raccoons, possums, deer go in his property and eat their plants. I told him once, you are the idiot that moved next to a nature reserve. LOL

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

They need someone to triage animation and live action. What's the last non-marvel Disney/20th Century movie anyone gave a crap about? Quietly having its worst performance since the mid 2000s. Well I guess not so quietly anymore.
I mean. Encanto (2021).

Pixar is in worse shape than WDAS. They haven't had a homerun since 2017 no matter how much they try to convince us that Soul is something we should care about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom