News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m surprised some of you are skocked.

I’m mildly surprised about Iger.
I’m not remotely surprised about Chapek.

He wasn’t doing anything Wall Street wanted him to do. He was trying to run Disney like a cash-cow blue chip company, when Wall Street had priced it as a top line growth company.

He was the subject of constant hit pieces in the press, full of quotes from his subordinates.

The loudest most visible person on America’s leading business network recently started calling for his firing, repeatedly, and harshly.

This was far more likely than not in recent weeks/months.
That was an Iger creation

BobPar

That's my concern. Which Bob Iger are we getting?
seems to be the Billion dollar question.... i think the Board realizes they need some stability right now & Iger for whatever reason was a darling not sure why we saw one of the greatest bull markets and DIS probably underperformed in comparison to what a company like that should have.... who knows but all we can hope for is he has realized the mistakes he has made and how to easily fix them

Goofyernmost

I'd advise that no one get their hopes up that all the crap will be reversed out back to the good old days, Iger is there because wall street likes him. He let Chapek do all the dirty work and (it might even have been planned that way) now Iger is back from his lengthy vacation to sweet talk investors into bracing up the portfolio's. To Iger it is more of a part time job like so many take after they retire. Apparently all the Walmart greeter positions were filled.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
How exactly have Disney fans won?
Disney (corp) is saying "We hear you."

Don't get me wrong -- Iger is not a solution, he's just a placeholder, but now at least there's
1669037257830.png

they'll hire someone who isn't entirely focused on moneygrubbing.

SpoiledBlueMilk

I know we’re all myopically fixated on the Parks, but those are fiscally in good condition.

Bob I’s coming back to address streaming, streaming, and streaming, and in that order.
It's more than just streaming as a service. Chapek was all about content. How many pieces of content can we flood the service with instead of thinking about quality storytelling. Now, Disney is facing the issue of creative talent no longer wanting to work with them. And the goose that lays the golden eggs (Marvel) is beginning to see a turn in their ability to churn out billion dollar movies that don't drop by 50%+ at the box office in their second week of show. Iger needs to clean house.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They're saying that to Wall Street, not us.
Bobby C was doing everything that Wall Street loves... but was pi&&ing off their customer base in the process.

They want more moneygrubbing, not less.
Well, which ever moneygrubber they hire has to have a better PR head. Pendulums swing both ways -- I'm assessing that the drums coming out of the jungle were just getting too hostile for the board to put up with The Bearded Wonder any longer.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Iger’s coming back to a company where the books are a complete mess. I don’t feel that Parks have been the cause of this given their profits and revenue. But let’s play Fantasy CEO a for a moment. Let’s say he does away with Genie+ and ILL and the like. Where do you make up the hundreds of millions in revenue shortfalls?
What makes people think he will do away with Genie+ and ILL. Wasn’t that in development under his watch?

BG313206

I think their model is let's keep raising prices so that eventually some people will not go because it's to expensive .
The crowds will be smaller but they make their money anyway from the people willing to pay
In their mind a win win smaller crowds same amout of revenue

Heppenheimer

So what does Iger do? Look for a massive acquisition. It’s the Hail Mary for execs. ‘Buy something’ to throw dust in the air and give them another pool of execs to comb thru and try to find someone they can anoint.

if I were Iger, I’d change the structure. “Disney” needs a Chief creative Officer. Someone that reports to the board. Almost at the ceo level but not. Someone responsible for experience and vision. Then a ceo that executes. Highly unorthodox but disney isn’t like other companies.
I haven't been following the Disney corporate maneuvers that closely, but wasn't one of Chapek's more controversial decisions within the company to remove the budgetary decisions for each division so that they needed to have their budget approved directly by his subordinate? Maybe restoring some of the independence of divisions might go a long way, rather than being micromanaged from the top.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom