News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Tha Realest

This is good news! :cool: I hope the following will be addressed:
  • Annual Passes
  • Park Hoping Restrictions
  • Park Reservations
  • Listening to fans
  • The need for either expansion at the existing parks or adding park due to the many Vacation Club Villas and Hotels
I know we’re all myopically fixated on the Parks, but those are fiscally in good condition.

Bob I’s coming back to address streaming, streaming, and streaming, and in that order.

JoeCamel

One thing I'm slightly hopeful and optimistic for is that Iger seems willing to learn from his or at least others' mistakes. I'm willing to see if he walks back some of the policies that have been instituted for the past 5 years. I also wonder if this may have been his plan all along, let Chapek be the fall guy for failed policies, and covid. Go out on top and then come back as a savior while getting to have a more thorough process for a replacement.
Its darker than that, Iger goes out on top with a ton of DIS leaving slappie to take the inevitable fall so he unloads more than half at the pumped up price. Now while it is down he comes back to pump it up again. This move will net billions for the investors and that is the point.
Bring on the dividends!

aladdin2007

If only this somehow translated into a better parks experience.
gray skies are gonna clear up put on a happy face........ I agree though doesnt mean a better parks experience out the gate, but at least the parks cant suffer anymore under chapeks stupid decision. Iger may never have been best for the parks but they were allowed to run more smoothly. Maybe just maybe something will change down the road in some form with this genie junk that chapek was so adamant on. I think the whole board needs to go, they were the ones that were so crazy for chapek and his idiocy. Anyway ding dong the witch is dead is right like another poster said, wow 35 pages here already can't read it all! :)

Tha Realest

So what does Iger do? Look for a massive acquisition. It’s the Hail Mary for execs. ‘Buy something’ to throw dust in the air and give them another pool of execs to comb thru and try to find someone they can anoint.

if I were Iger, I’d change the structure. “Disney” needs a Chief creative Officer. Someone that reports to the board. Almost at the ceo level but not. Someone responsible for experience and vision. Then a ceo that executes. Highly unorthodox but disney isn’t like other companies.
given their debt situation and the need for D+ to succeed, I think it’s unlikely they have the cash to make any acquisition that will stop the bleeding.

I’ll go a step further - I think it’s likelier that Disney is acquired in some form or fashion in the next few years than they acquire a hot and valuable IP on the level of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm.

Okay, let me lay a marker: Bob Iger won’t be coming in to help find the next CEO. Bob Iger is going to be Disney’s last CEO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So Iger only has a two year deal with a mandate from the board to find his successor (what year is it?) - so now the question becomes: does Disney actually look outside the company for their next CEO?
Iger had plenty of extensions to his previous contract as the next person being made ready to take over kept getting fired. There's nothing to stop that from happening again... except maybe a run at a political office...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
given their debt situation and the need for D+ to succeed, I think it’s unlikely they have the cash to make any acquisition that will stop the bleeding.

I’ll go a step further - I think it’s likelier that Disney is acquired in some form or fashion in the next few years than they acquire a hot and valuable IP on the level of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm.

Okay, let me lay a marker: Bob Iger won’t be coming in to help find the next CEO. Bob Iger is going to be Disney’s last CEO.
Disney's on track to making $4B a year just like before the pandemic. That's even after peak D+ spending. Disney will have no trouble dealing with their debt obligations.

Fido Chuckwagon

But now we’re getting Iger 2.0, he’s a leaner, meaner Iger who really wants to buff his legacy with the announcement of a 5th gate.
Oh My God Reaction GIF

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Incredible development, but don't expect drastic changes in the parks. The things that are hugely unpopular (Genie and Reservations) are key to revenue right now, and Iger is not going to want to let that decline any further.
At best for the parks you’ll see a better PR approach towards “selling” the unpopular changes made in the past 2 years. I also think the media will be less likely to jump on the decline in guest satisfaction because they fear and/or will cover for Iger as opposed to Chapek who they mocked.

mightynine

Iger had plenty of extensions to his previous contract as the next person being made ready to take over kept getting fired. There's nothing to stop that from happening again... except maybe a run at a political office...
I thought the joke about what year is it covered the fact that extensions are possible - but with this board, watch out for those and outward shows of support! 😄

rio

It seems Disney hasn't learned that allowing 1 person to be the company head is bad for them. First Tatum, then Eisner, and now Iger.....

What's even sader about this is that Iger stepped down right when COVID was starting to protect his legacy rather than actually lead, and now doesn't get the blame for Genie+ and all the other monetization that's occurred over the past couple years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom