News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If I had to guess, stuff like What if and Clone Wars were not super expensive to make, and they are probably 2 of the most highly regarded of all shows done for Star Wars/Marvel.
Right…but that’s animation. They probably need a lot more of that…but a limited market.

Remember also anything clone wars has a strong pull amongst Star Wars fans…particularly the prequel era who are now in the parent zone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Keep in mind, I’m not talking strictly about films.

Marvel: One Shots, Werewolf by Night, and its accompanying documentary, Director by Night were all relatively budget-friendly. And even more efficiently when produced simultaneously to other films/features. Animation can be cheaper (M.O.D.O.K, Hit-Monkey, etc.), too.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was $90M, and they’re using the Stagecraft Volume to keep costs down on the Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett. But have you seen all the Star Wars auxiliary stuff? The Vehicle Flythroughs, Galaxy of Sounds, and the Biomes things?
No doubt cost control is a high priority…but there are limits.

One of the criticisms I have heard about obi wan is it looked “cheap”…
I liked it/didn’t think so…but I’m an easy Mark

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another thing that interests me is how this affects moviemaking in general. Movies are pretty expensive to produce, and without a box office return, I'm not sure it makes financial sense to keep making movies the way we're used to. Why spend $200m on a film when you almost certainly won't be able to recoup those costs via your streaming service? Make smaller/cheaper films and series instead.

I suppose the argument would be that those tentpole movies would still be released in the theater -- but the problem there is if there's no longer regular movie releases, many movie theaters will close. And then the overall market shrinks and those massive tentpole films are going to bring in significantly smaller returns because there just aren't enough places for people to go and see them.
That’s a big part of why these corps are struggling…

Hollywood has been dependent on tentpoles for almost 50 years.
Streaming is not conducive to this.

The budgets made sense because of the domestic and global gate, the media coverage and the product placement/saturation/longevity.

Gee? Wonder where that came from, Darth? 🙄

the problem is they need that money to justify outlays…but they have to be sure bets to get it back.

Which is why new ideas/small/independent has been all but destroyed.
Couple with “market analyst” driven cultural stipulations?

It’s really a mess.
There’s really no mystery why these big wigs are getting heat…and being raided/threatened to be broken up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So a bunch of one or two seasons of shows are still an eco system of a bunch of one or two season shows that cost more to produce than they can earn. Same issue.
Yeah…I can’t figure out how people won’t acknowledge this and keep riding the carousel?

It really is just the poisoning of the well by Bob. He said “nobody can ever resist disney” for ten years…so it was chiseled in the tablets.

As if he was the first to boast that?…prior to previous serious shifts/problems

LSLS

Right…but that’s animation. They probably need a lot more of that…but a limited market.

Remember also anything clone wars has a strong pull amongst Star Wars fans…particularly the prequel era who are now in the parent zone.

Sure, but for something like Marvel where they have said you don't need to see the shows to stay up with the MCU (though that seemed to go out the window pretty fast), I think it makes sense. Use animation to tell some of these other stories that aren't really tying into the MCU more than they are there at the same time, and then use the movies to make your money in the theaters/DVDs/Digital (if you go back to releasing DVDs a month or two before streaming). OR, it doesn't need to be all animation, but pick more of the character where you aren't going to be reliant on high levels of CGI/makeup/etc. I think the choices of things like She-Hulk and Moon Knight were probably the wrong way to go for D+ (and this from someone who thinks Moon Knight is the best D+ series). I have to think DareDevil will be much less to make than say She-Hulk was. Star Wars is a much different problem with them having cancelled all their movies after how poorly the movies faired to start, I've got no answers for you there.

I'm onboard that streaming is the way of the future, but it should be the way of the future for cable TV, not for movies. I think Disney has really shot themselves in the foot with releasing these things to D+ 50-90 days after theatrical release. Their issues with costs are very self-inflicted.

MrPromey

Amazon and Disney could merge

Combine Amazon Prime, Hulu, D+

Use Amazon data centers/technology and tech teams to build apps and websites that actually work and are stable

All Disney merch on Amazon.com

Free grocery delivery to the resorts lol

Bezos and Iger fight to the death as to who becomes “the” CEO in the Indiana Jones theater. Let’s get ready to rumble

jk
Iger strikes me as a hair puller.

Bezos would be his perfect foil.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Getting sick of seeing these bulls--t "Restore the Magic" ads on Twitter. It'll only work if most investors were extremely online, which they aren't.
Yep.

Fake

Bob’s “great to visit with our wdw cast members!” Tweet and
“Please, Bob, bring the magic back!!!” Responses yesterday…also fake

Bob spent three weeks on his yacht…then some old investor says they’re losing value in the parks and he shows up in Orlando?
Yeah…

What we all bought in 2018 wasn’t “magic” at all…

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The first time I read that I saw “explosive”…

…that’s actually a great idea. They should give them out to APs at wonders of life on first day of festivals.
Solves a lot of their problems.
Explosive magicbands may sell like Figment popcorn buckets. You may be onto something here

Then we can truly become part of the new Epcot fireworks show

pdude81

the new expensive magic bands make everything magical though right?
I have to admit that the bounty hunter game in SWGE is pretty fun. 50th statues are a PITA to collect but MB+ could be a useful way to give us other things to do in the parks. I hope they use this opportunity to add quests and games like SOTMK but running on your smartphone instead of an ancient windows server.

Dan Deesnee

Corporate raiders and their ilk are never, ever good for a company, it’s customers, or its employees no matter what kind of rosy PR they slather their numbers and messaging in. He may “get what is wrong with Disney,” but I can guarantee you that his solutions and goals don’t benefit anyone but himself/Trian and would likely leave a very decimated and hobbled TWDC behind when he’s through with his investment.

If you're concerned about that you've eliminated 99.99% of people that even have the power / connections to join the Disney board...

What you do want is someone that understands the company and seems to like disney. Peltz fits that bill better than anyone else I can think of that head a realistic chance of joining the board.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What you do want is someone that understands the company and seems to like disney. Peltz fits that bill better than anyone else I can think of that head a realistic chance of joining the board.

If that's the case, why did he wait till now to invest in the company? He's been a fanboy forever.. but only when the stock got to attractive levels is only when he decided to get active?? What a cute story...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom