News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

OrlandoRising

You see, we know these people well - because many, if not all of us, have been there ourselves. You see so many posts now that you never did before, everyone from returning park veterans to new park goers. You used to see such positive things about the level of service at WDW, the quality of the restaurants, how wonderful all the ancillary entertainment offerings were, how "magical" it all felt, how well maintained and lush the whole experience was.

You rarely see many enthusiastic comments like that now. It's just no where near what it used to be.
I think there's a big component of people using Disney parks through rose-colored glasses, too. I went in the 90s and the 2000s, too, and I heard plenty of people complaining about prices or how service was better in the 70s or 80s. Nostalgia can be a powerful drug that makes us forget things were far from perfect.

Seriously, I've been around since the rec.arts.disney.parks days and things are honestly not that different. Disney has always had critics and they have always been outspoken but it has almost never translated into actual attendance problems at the parks. Never.

That's why most fan complaints are easily dismissed.
This era does feel different to me. The complaints now are the type of things that drive away far greater swaths of guests. That's a world of difference than the typical hardcore fan complaints -- like "this ride doesn't fit in Epcot!" or "IP doesn't belong in Small World!" -- that are easily dismissed and really do not seem to matter to the vast majority of people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This era does feel different to me. The complaints now are the type of things that drive away far greater swaths of guests. That's a world of difference than the typical hardcore fan complaints -- like "this ride doesn't fit in Epcot!" or "IP doesn't belong in Small World!" -- that are easily dismissed and really do not seem to matter to the vast majority of people.
There has been an increase in frequency/intensity of complaints that are teetering on the verge of “…this is a ripoff” for several years - pre 2020 - that should be alarming.

Not just on Disney boards…if you look around…you hear it in passing conversation and it’s been coming up a lot more in media…

I’m sure it’s not high on big shot Bobby’s priority list…but the balance of parks is off and it will be disastrous if it takes a monetary hit.

The problem is he’d have to correct a lot of the blue ocean bull$&!? Things that he did and walked around arrogantly looking for praise for. He applied short term thinking to a long term business pillar. Never wise.

GimpYancIent

There has been an increase in frequency/intensity of complaints that are teetering on the verge of “…this is a ripoff” for several years - pre 2020 - that should be alarming.

Not just on Disney boards…if you look around…you hear it in passing conversation and it’s been coming up a lot more in media…

I’m sure it’s not high on big shot Bobby’s priority list…but the balance of parks is off and it will be disastrous if it takes a monetary hit.

The problem is he’d have to correct a lot of the blue ocean bull$&!? Things that he did and walked around arrogantly looking for praise for. He applied short term thinking to a long term business pillar. Never wise.
Complaints and opinions are everywhere to actually have action / tangible change there has to be a monetary hit, a substantial one.

CaptainAmerica

So, not that I’m complaining, but, Universal has been pretty busy at Universal (especially Saturday) and Sea World Friday was slow at the beginning of the day but got packed by night.). Today I’m here at DHS, and while the posted times say moderate crowds, that’s a lie. During early entry I rode Rise, Mania and Mickey. Then over the course of the first hour I rode ToT x3. I litterally walked into the library twice. This makes no sense, Disney might have finally started pushing away customers.
So wait, we're mad when it's crowded and we're mad when it's not?

sedati

I think there's a big component of people using Disney parks through rose-colored glasses, too. I went in the 90s and the 2000s, too, and I heard plenty of people complaining about prices or how service was better in the 70s or 80s. Nostalgia can be a powerful drug that makes us forget things were far from perfect.

I've been going since it was just one park and the only major change that's changed my perspective for the worse has been fastpass in all it's forms.

OrlandoRising

Complaints and opinions are everywhere to actually have action / tangible change there has to be a monetary hit, a substantial one.
Or the foresight to see that a change in policy now may prevent a bigger monetary hit in the future.

I've been going since it was just one park and the only major change that's changed my perspective for the worse has been fastpass in all it's forms.
Partially thanks to the original FastPass, theme park guests have been conditioned to expect some kind of skip-the-line option at all parks, not just Disney. Going back to a system of standby only lines is a pipe dream.

Jrb1979

Or the foresight to see that a change in policy now may prevent a bigger monetary hit in the future.

Partially thanks to the original FastPass, theme park guests have been conditioned to expect some kind of skip-the-line option at all parks, not just Disney. Going back to a system of standby only lines is a pipe dream.
It's why the skip-the-line option works better at most other parks. Not everyone has access to it so standby isn't as bad.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's why the skip-the-line option works better at most other parks. Not everyone has access to it so standby isn't as bad.
They just can’t do it. The dynamics and pricing structure of Disney parks prevents it…

If they were ever to roll out a $250 line skip…all PR/premise/reputations that they use to sell the profit generators goes out the window…

They’re just like all the others at extremely high rate. They’re not “magic for all”

No…the way is expand capacity and hold the market…have the flexibility they used to plan for…

They are already dangerously close with genie…which is why Iger made it a priority to publicly make a stance on the costs.

pdude81

Fist thing I'd suggest is that an AP should have no line-skip privilege attached.
Well that's the whole point. If they make everybody pay for the skips, then AP has to pay too. It's also why blocking AP long term makes no sense. If they don't start selling them again soon, people will have realized they can spread their money around more effectively.

UNCgolf

The skip-the-line option at Uni costs at least 4 times more than at WDW. Sometimes 8 times more.

I think that was his point, though?

Staying at a deluxe resort at Universal is such a higher value proposition than Disney that it's not even comparable. The unlimited express pass is wonderful -- even if you don't like most of Universal's attractions (like me) it's nice to be able to ride the ones you do like multiple times with no wait.

That said, despite the great value in general, I'm not in any rush to go back to Universal because I don't enjoy most of their attractions. If Universal doesn't provide an experience you want/enjoy then the value isn't going to be there no matter the price.

Regardless, I have a hard time imagining how it would even work at Disney. I don't think including it with all deluxe rooms is feasible because that's too many guests, and selling it in general would cannibalize their VIP tour sales.

Last edited:

MrPromey

What's even more baffling, there are people excited about Iger being back..

I know that some people are but I think most are more happy that Chapek is gone.

I'm slightly optimistic that we get a second try at a new CEO that will set the company on a better course than Chapek seemed to be heading in.

I get it - we're all parks fans and neither of these guys has been great when it comes to our favorite parks but really, the entire brand reputation of Disney across the board seemed to be heading for the drain under Chapek in shockingly short order so I'm glad he's gone and I'll tolerate Iger for a do-over at picking a replacement.

Fingers crossed he does a better job of it without the duress of a zombie apocalypse on the horizon, this time.

Last edited:

bcoachable

NPS scores - I’m telling y’all- keep watching them…
They have been steadily dropping for a year now. That score is a great indicator of:
a) what made Disney special to begin with
and
b) why people are feeling that it’s a rip off today.
You have to be “all in” on the service aspect of your company if you want us to say nice things about you to our friends back home.
Disney, You can’t have it both ways…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom