Bob Iger in HS

Ignohippo

But when we're seeing smaller operations do more with less it's hard to believe that Walt Disney World is doing the best it can with all of the available resources.

No doubt. Plus, you only have to look at Uni to see successful ways of handling expansion budgets. It's amazing to see what Uni has added over the last few years while WDW has remained almost stagnant (besides the FLE).

I was just trying to show how JHM could have communicated his argument in a more logical and tactful way.

35832057.jpg

I want to steal this so bad lol.

Viget

Those human battery capsules from "The Matrix"

And that right there is why the Matrix (and its sequels) are a perfect allegory of exactly what is happening to 21st century America. The Matrix is the ultimate goal of major corporations and people who run them... to turn the public into a faceless, stupified consumer base that powers the source.

Of course, my biggest quibble with the idea is that the W bros. are forgetting basic physics and the 2nd law of thermodynamics with their concept, but hey, minor problem. :)

Viget

THIS!!! This is the fundamental problem with so much of The Walt Disney Company of today. We shouldn't go into a tizzy on the rumor that an executive is seen at one of Company's products. These boards should be flooded with pictures of Disney [Parks and Resorts] executives standing in line enjoying the parks with their families.

Yeah, it's a long way from Uncle Walt strolling down Main Street USA in the morning just to enjoy the parks when no one was around and making sure everything was in tiptop shape!

Goofyernmost

Yeah, it's a long way from Uncle Walt strolling down Main Street USA in the morning just to enjoy the parks when no one was around and making sure everything was in tiptop shape!
Let's not forget that "Uncle Walt" only had one theme park to walk through, and he practically lived there in the beginning. I'm not sure you would see good old "Uncle Walt" being able to do the same thing today. For one thing it's a major trip just to go to WDW much less check it out a few times a week.:)

Mammymouse

Let's not forget that "Uncle Walt" only had one theme park to walk through, and he practically lived there in the beginning. I'm not sure you would see good old "Uncle Walt" being able to do the same thing today. For one thing it's a major trip just to go to WDW much less check it out a few times a week.:)

Maybe he would be a Snowbird, just saying......

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Here's how it would go down today. Walt would have a lookalike thanks to the power of plastic surgery in each of the Disney parks on the planet. Through an intensive brainwashing/torture program each of these lookalikes would behave exactly like Walt. No one would ever know when they were being visited by the real Walt, since when he was traipsing about a park, DLP for example, the lookalike would be chained in a basement room somewhere, fed gruel, and flogged for indiscretions/slip ups as part of his "re-training". This technique would be referred to as wuing (short for Walt upgrading) by in the know CMs.

Clever Name

Here's how it would go down today. Walt would have a lookalike thanks to the power of plastic surgery in each of the Disney parks on the planet. Through an intensive brainwashing/torture program each of these lookalikes would behave exactly like Walt. No one would ever know when they were being visited by the real Walt, since when he was traipsing about a park, DLP for example, the lookalike would be chained in a basement room somewhere, fed gruel, and flogged for indiscretions/slip ups as part of his "re-training". This technique would be referred to as wuing (short for Walt upgrading) by in the know CMs.

In addition, Walt would have purchased the Imperial Tobacco Company which is the current maker of Gitanes cigarettes. He would have used his prodigious salesmanship (along with all his cartoon pals) to make smoking Gitanes cigarettes the "in" thing to do.

He would have also worked secretly to make Gitanes cigarettes more addicting and he would have marketed candy Gitanes to children. His public relations effort would be devoted to convincing people of the health benefits of cigarettes and the evils of gum chewing.

He would have lobbied legislatures worldwide to allow smoking in movie theaters and ban the sale of chewing gum.

Goofyernmost

I suppose considering the fact the Mickey has been able to have a presence in every Disney Park on the planet at exactly the same time...he could find a way, I guess.:D

ParentsOf4

In addition, Walt would have purchased the Imperial Tobacco Company which is the current maker of Gitanes cigarettes. He would have used his prodigious salesmanship (along with all his cartoon pals) to make smoking Gitanes cigarettes the "in" thing to do.

He would have also worked secretly to make Gitanes cigarettes more addicting and he would have marketed candy Gitanes to children. His public relations effort would be devoted to convincing people of the health benefits of cigarettes and the evils of gum chewing.

He would have lobbied legislatures worldwide to allow smoking in movie theaters and ban the sale of chewing gum.
Walt was obsessively concerned about his public image, knowing he was the face of the family friendly Walt Disney Productions. Walt never let himself be photographed smoking or drinking.

There's a reason there was no drinking at Disneyland and Walt Disney Productions only made a certain type of movie. Walt really did want to keep Walt Disney Productions' image pure.

Walt was no saint. I'm sure I would have disliked him as a boss. However, today's generation sometimes doesn't understand the kind of old fashioned small town America values Roy and Walt were raised in. It was more than just a punch line as portrayed in today's movies. It was a real thing. And your customers weren't wallets to be picked; they were what made your business successful.

Clever Name

Walt was obsessively concerned about his public image, knowing he was the face of the family friendly Walt Disney Productions. Walt never let himself be photographed smoking or drinking. There's a reason there was no drinking at Disneyland and Walt Disney Productions only made a certain type of movie. Walt really did want to keep Walt Disney Productions' image pure.
It wasn't about keeping Walt Disney Productions image pure. It was about making Walt Disney's image appear to be pure and wholesome. The entire story about how Walt created Mickey Mouse is pure fiction but it was created to depict Walt as a Horatio Alger caricature. It's so comforting to know that a person can come from a humble background and by virtue of hard work, courage, determination, honesty and creativity become a famous person loved by all.

Walt was a scoundrel and had to be kept in check by Roy. And Roy didn't always do a great job at keeping up with Walt's unscrupulous activities. Had the studio not covered things up, it would have created a total financial disaster for all involved. The pursuit of money (by all involved) was what held the entire operation together.

People either don't know or they forget that in 1929 (while the studio was still privately owned) Walt bought out Roy's interest in the studio. It wasn't until 1940 that the studio went public and stock was sold to raise money.

Walt didn't give a damn about Walt Disney Productions. He absolutely hated the shareholders and he only used the production company as a front so that he could profit personally from WED and later RETLAW.

Walt was no saint. I'm sure I would have disliked him as a boss. However, today's generation sometimes doesn't understand the kind of old fashioned small town America values Roy and Walt were raised in. It was more than just an punch line shown in today's movies. It was a real thing. And your customers weren't wallets to be picked; they were what made your business successful.

Walt was a salesman and viewed everyone as a potential customer. Walt was all about finding out what the customer wanted and then telling the customer what they wanted to hear. Walt never picked any pockets but he always sold people a bill of goods.

The uncle Walt image was carefully constructed and crafted by Walt himself. It was just an image.

Probably the best description of Walt is that he was a great story man. He could tell a story and make most anyone believe it. That was his true gift.

ParentsOf4

Walt was a salesman and viewed everyone as a potential customer. Walt was all about finding out what the customer wanted and then telling the customer what they wanted to hear. Walt never picked any pockets but he always sold people a bill of goods.
Walt's dichotomized personality is well established. As I said before, I would not have wanted to work for him.

There's nothing in you post that I take particular exception to besides what I quoted above. Walt respected his customers and, rather than try to "value engineer" his product and use "pricing leverage" (one of Iger's favorite phrases) to get his customers to pay more for less, Walt very much cared about providing his customers with good value for their money, a quality sorely lacking at today's TWDC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom