Bob Iger in HS

Ignohippo

I've read Jim Hill and this site and I agree, I don't think anyone gives him grief about rumors ... it's because of his arrogance but most recently it's because he's flip flopped into being an apologist.

Did anyone else read that article last year that basically said TDO is doing great and spending tons of money and fans should just be silent (I'm paraphrasing of course). That article really rubbed me in a way I didn't like :)/) ... he misapplied information and distorted how funds are spent to support his claims. It was very poor writing and logic used and I just felt like he should have known better.

That was the one where he lost me. I had gone to his blog once a day for years, but haven't been once since that rambling. He was so condescending to the "fanboi" community, that there's absolutely no way I'm reading his blog again.

He forgets that the "fanbois" are the ones who actually read his column and visit his site.

Ignohippo

It was a very amusing piece because it was BS apology spin. The worst part about Jim as of late is his "Editor's Notes" responding to comments. Like the example I posted, not only is there clear arrogance, but just plain meanness.
Por ejemplo from the article you cited

The funny thing is, rather than using his space to put the "fanbois" down (or his readers, as the case may be), he could have simply made the case that TWDCo is a business and what may be the fan communities wants, may not be realistic from an economic standpoint. I'm sure he could have used some data to back up his point and educate people in the fan community just how many unique guests, tickets, etc. it takes to be able to afford a $500 million expansion.

But no, instead he'd rather use his blog to ridicule the people that read it.

lazyboy97o

The funny thing is, rather than using his space to put the "fanbois" down (or his readers, as the case may be), he could have simply made the case that TWDCo is a business and what may be the fan communities wants, may not be realistic from an economic standpoint. I'm sure he could have used some data to back up his point and educate people in the fan community just how many unique guests, tickets, etc. it takes to be able to afford a $500 million expansion.

But when we're seeing smaller operations do more with less it's hard to believe that Walt Disney World is doing the best it can with all of the available resources.

the.dreamfinder

It makes you wonder, considering who some of his sources are, what folks at WDI, TDO, and Burbank think of their guests...

The Empress Lilly

"Walties." "Foamers."
Very much so. But! But there is a renewed understanding at the higher echelons of TWDC (and elsewhere), that foamers are their audience. Whether it is comic book fans, or Trekkies, or TwiHards, or Star Wars fans, people realise that this is not just the freaks, but a very vast segment of the fanbase. We ARE the people who buy a movie ticket for every Marvel movie, the people who buy SW stuff, the people who visit the Disney parks. Dorks, dweebs and geeks ARE the entertainment industries' consumers, be it movie franchises, games or theme parks.

lazyboy97o

Very much so. But! But there is a renewed understanding at the higher echelons of TWDC (and elsewhere), that foamers are their audience. Whether it is comic book fans, or Trekkies, or TwiHards, or Star Wars fans, people realise that this is not just the freaks, but a very vast segment of the fanbase. We ARE the people who buy a movie ticket for every Marvel movie, the people who buy SW stuff, the people who visit the Disney parks. Dorks, dweebs and geeks ARE the entertainment industries' consumers, be it movie franchises, games or theme parks.
There may be some recognition but I don't think it's any where yet near understanding or appreciation.

The Empress Lilly

There may be some recognition but I don't think it's any where yet near understanding or appreciation.
Maybe both. They understand who we are, but still look down at us.

It's a sad thought that forty years ago the parks were run by management in accordance with their own tastes, by them and for them, and now by management that runs it for 'other people' ('lower than them'). Current management wouldn't want to be caught dead enjoying Disney Parks.

the.dreamfinder

Yeah, the return of the orange bird and retro EPCOT Merch.

It's not so much fan power, but having people in the upper echelons you describe who want to do amazing things. Not only do I want Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition and the Muppet Movie Ride, I want a culture at TWDC where everyone on the food chain wants to do amazing work and enable them to do it. Fortunately for Disney, I'd say both Marvel and Pixar/WDAS can do that, but imagine what they could do if the entire company bleed passion and how it would enrich said divisions to push further, be better.

lazyboy97o

Maybe both. They understand who we are, but still look down at us.

It's a sad thought that forty years ago the parks were run by management in accordance with their own tastes, by them and for them, and now by management that runs it for 'other people' ('lower than them'). Current management wouldn't want to be caught dead enjoying Disney Parks.
THIS!!! This is the fundamental problem with so much of The Walt Disney Company of today. We shouldn't go into a tizzy on the rumor that an executive is seen at one of Company's products. These boards should be flooded with pictures of Disney [Parks and Resorts] executives standing in line enjoying the parks with their families.

Jimmy Thick

News flash!!!

Bob Iger being at DHS was a hoax. He's much too busy celebrating last quarters financials.

Jimmy Thick- Rightfully so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom