Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

JWG

You are off a bit in both amount and year.

I'll go higher on the amount (if so, that is astonishing) and sooner on the date. Trying to think through a realisitc timeline to introduce multiple new areas/concepts in Disney time. end of 2017 seems better but given the Avatar timeline...

SYRIK2000

I'll go higher on the amount (if so, that is astonishing) and sooner on the date. Trying to think through a realisitc timeline to introduce multiple new areas/concepts in Disney time. end of 2017 seems better but given the Avatar timeline...

Avatar timeline is because Cameron is a prim donna.

BrerJon

If WDI has requested a huge amount of cash for their dream projects and got it (as opposed to it just being Staggs trying to fund watered-down plans) that's fantastic... coz that's what happens in Tokyo, and it works wonders.

I do worry about their ability to deliver more than the money, though. Harambe and Trader Sam's won't have cost much, but are great. Same with Hogsmeade, $150M for the whole land. On the other hand (IMHO) New Fantasyland and Disney Springs have been pretty disappointing yet cost a bomb, so it's not *always* about how much money there is, but about how wisely it is spent and who is in charge of the creative direction of the project.

So amazing news if there is a lot of money, but that's still only half the story.

vyst

If WDI has requested a huge amount of cash for their dream projects and got it (as opposed to it just being Staggs trying to fund watered-down plans) that's fantastic... coz that's what happens in Tokyo, and it works wonders.

I do worry about their ability to deliver more than the money, though. Harambe and Trader Sam's won't have cost much, but are great. Same with Hogsmeade, $150M for the whole land. On the other hand (IMHO) New Fantasyland and Disney Springs have been pretty disappointing yet cost a bomb, so it's not *always* about how much money there is, but about how wisely it is spent and who is in charge of the creative direction of the project.

So amazing news if there is a lot of money, but that's still only half the story.

Disney Springs is a long term revenue stream though so while it's disappointing in the short term, the hopes is that long term it pays for itself over and over again with merchandise and food/beverage.

Shaman

Pretty sure executives look at these proposals before they go to the Board. So Iger/Staggs were probably on board before the directors sat down to meet.

BrerJon

Disney Springs is a long term revenue stream though so while it's disappointing in the short term, the hopes is that long term it pays for itself over and over again with merchandise and food/beverage.

Oh I'm sure, I meant from a guest experience point of view as opposed to TWDC shareholders or bean-counters, who I'm sure would disagree with me.

dumboflyer

Calling it now: additional funding going to a new resort hotel called "Detention Block AA-23".

Fans will love it because they will blindly eat up anything SW-themed at WDW.
WDW will love it because of the very efficient population density and housekeeping cost savings from no use of linens.

Shaman

Oh I'm sure, I meant from a guest experience point of view as opposed to TWDC shareholders or bean-counters, who I'm sure would disagree with me.

People love DTD. Springs expands/upgrades on DTD. Disney isn't building massive parking garages, because they expect them to be half empty. I'm not sold on their being as much demand as they think. I'm sure they've studied the market. As a guest I'm excited that the parking/bus situation there will be improved...add the new shops and restaurants...seems like a winner.

SYRIK2000

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom