Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
"Golden age" sounds a bit much. I'm really starting to worry now that speculation is building upon speculation and whatever is really on the cards can't hope to match it. My guess is whatever is announced will get a 'is that it?' reception, not because it will be tepid in itself, but just because everyone seems to be hyping it up so much that anything short of DisneySea or the park-that-shall-not-be-named levels of work will seem a disappointment in comparison.

I hope I'm wrong, and trying not to get excited so I'm not disappointed, but rewatching the old D23 NFL announcement videos, and looking at other old attraction concept art pieces and press releases and how they matched to the reality... I think we're a long way from the point where we can say 'they did it, they finally did it!'.

^^^ THIS ^^^

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney can do it... They did it with carsland and "much" of the dca v2... The problem is they don't do it consistently and dont seem to have great leadership to drive them to be the best possible each time. Too many bimbo attractions in the last 5 years and too much cheaping out prior to that.

Thats why my expectations are low... Who will be the big john forcing the dhs work to be as awesome as it can be?

It used to be zOMG disney is doing something!! Now we sit back and go 'hrmph... I wonder which disney will show up'

WDWdream97

In the context of the conversation, Star Tours 2 is referring to the second version of essentially the same attraction. Star Tours 2.0 would perhaps be a better way for me to refer to it. The differences between California and Florida is the exterior queuing area and the number of simulators. The number of simulators would have an impact on queuing times.

For the record, the facade leading up to the attraction in DHS is more attractive than the facade at Disneyland's version. Again that's all aesthetics...

*1023*
Thank you for clearing it up. I only have been to the one at DHS, which I never really saw referred to as Star Tours II. I was thinking that maybe DL got an upgrade that WDW didn't.

BrerJon

It used to be zOMG disney is doing something!! Now we sit back and go 'hrmph... I wonder which disney will show up'

Yup this is exactly it. Who can we expect to show up? Will it be the cardboard cut-out team behind Enchanted Tales With Belle, or the immersive themers who redid Harambe? Will it be the stars who did Mystic Manor, or the slackers who did Missing-scene Mermaid?

mahnamahna101

I'm thinking, by 2021, 3 E's (PIXAR, Star Wars, Marvel), 3 D's (BH6, Wreck It Ralph, Monster's Inc.), 4 C's (TSPL, Star Wars).

This is a my guess based on nothing but rumor and conjecture.
Why would TDO add a Marvel E? Are they adding GotG, while UNI adds Avengers?

BH6 and Wreck-it Ralph getting attractions surprises me, too. Neither did remarkably well at the BO - and since Tangled didn't get anything substantial with NFL, I wasn't expecting either of them to be considered. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see both take over Animation Courtyard, though. I would think they would have both needed to do $300 million+ DOM for TDO to take notice.

Any speculation on what the IP for the Pixar E could be? Incredibles makes the most sense, especially if DCA's Marvel E uses the same ride system/layout. Not to mention Incredibles 2 should arrive between 2017-2019.

NearTheEars

The bag used at WDW has Sleeping Beauty Castle on one side and Cinderella Castle on the other, both marked "Disney Parks." This bag was in use at DLR as well until May 2015, when it was replaced with a Disneyland Diamond Celebration bag. All paper goods and bags at DLR have become resort specific as of May, dumping the stupid Disney Parks branding in favor of Disneyland 60.

Thank you! Wasn't sure. I was going to say, if they were trying to save money with the Disney Parks branding it would be dumb to still have separate bags for each resort and slap the unified logo on them.

matt9112

Because its extremely capital intensive with very slow payoffs that are difficult to attach to direct causation.

Your points are well spoken however in simple terms without the parks modern disney is just another tv station and movie reel. The parks feed
(Indirectly) into every other fundamental buisness disney is in. The problem I see is your second thought is how they feel. Parks are a distraction but without the seeds a tree won't grow nobody eats the seeds....they want the fruit.

Yeah... like attractions that cost tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to build... millions to maintain... collect no direct revenue themselves... and are tiny pushes trying to make a big mountain move (entire park patterns). Yeah, why would WS be skeptical of dumping money wildly at theme parks???

When you look at specific ROI - they are very hard to justify. They know you must invest to grow, and refresh to persist... but do you do that with a small investment or massive? Hence resistance and skepticism.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom