Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

WDW1974

Original Poster
It really is amazing that Epcot and DHS have failed to recover from the opening of DAK. The 1997 numbers for both parks were higher than the 2014 numbers.

EPCOT had a brief resurgence when George Kalogridis was able to wrest the Milennium celebration from being MK-focused to EPCOT-focused and the park did quite well in 1999-2000, which was enough to get him the biggest job (then) of his career.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How about a Lutz style preview ala his California Adventure report circa 2006?

From me?

If and when I have the entire picture (or most of it) and am able to spread it, then ... I think at this point, I might pick five of you regulars here at random (but people who don't know me so as to not be described as friends or minions) and send them the info with the ability to know it, but not spread it beyond vague statements. Then, when it happens, you can all chime in with your dated notes showing that I did have it.

I'm sorta tired of the whole fan community at this point. The arguing of facts. The passive aggressive BS. The not believing anything bad ... and then refusing to believe anything good. It wasn't all that long ago that I drank with a 'Celebrity Imagineer' at the DLH and he said that ''WDW fans get what they deserve.'' Sadly, that has largely been the case.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's not really my question. I understand and agree with all the reasons the investment is needed. Stale parks, lack of capacity, etc. My question is more about what finally caused this management group, seemingly content to ignore those needs for a decade (as you said), to finally see the light. There had to be a tipping point. Did they always acknowledge a problem and just now decide to fix it? Had they denied the problem even existed? Was it just a matter of getting beyond the bear of the NGE project?

I'm sure there was a tipping point. I'm not privy to every move these very big business leaders make. I know they were prepared to spend a large sum on WDW upgrades in 2008 and then the economy crashed and they got very gun shy. It's part of why they decided to dump $2 billion and counting (and we'll never know the final real cost) on NGE. So, no, I don't think they all were in denial (some folks certainly were -- Rasulo and Staggs being two). If you ever got George K in a weak moment (say surround him with some cute 20-something CPers from Iowa and Nebraska!), I think he would have said that WDW was largely a mess when he left for Paris in 2006 and much more of a mess when he returned from Anaheim in 2012/2013.

But I don't think it was any one thing, as you could likely surmise. It was a combo deal over many years. And it will still take many years to make things better. I truly think it will be 2021 before WDW is about where it needs to be.

TalkingHead

If and when I have the entire picture (or most of it) and am able to spread it, then ... I think at this point, I might pick five of you regulars here at random (but people who don't know me so as to not be described as friends or minions) and send them the info with the ability to know it, but not spread it beyond vague statements. Then, when it happens, you can all chime in with your dated notes showing that I did have it.

Honestly, why would you bother? Your fans would continue to be incredulous and claim the dated notes were Photoshopped.

You called the Hogwarts Express and the Potter expansion going into USF years before it opened (in addition to other stuff). Track record speaks for itself.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I could be mistaken (as its been almost a year since I've been out west), but I think they actually use the same bags as they do in FL.

Not anymore.

But on the subject of Disney bags, they never really die or run out ... they get stuffed in a warehouse somewhere on property. The local Disney outlet in SoFla has been using DLR's last original bags (they were the same as WDW, but said DL on them ... castle may have been different or just a generic one, can't recall) of late and this week was using the WoD bags used only in the three stores at WDW, DLR and NYC.

I am reasonably certain those 1980s paper bags still exist on property somewhere. Disney throws nothing out.

Nemo14

But I don't think it was any one thing, as you could likely surmise. It was a combo deal over many years. And it will still take many years to make things better. I truly think it will be 2021 before WDW is about where it needs to be.

I think this is what bothers me the most about all this. When I think of how old I'll be before I get to see any real (dare I say Spirited) improvements to the parks I loved, it just really annoys the heck out of me. I still have days left on my last 10 day non-expiring tickets that we bought several years ago - hope they'll still be good in 2021.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My belief is that Iger believes this will be the exclamation point on his legacy.

Iger's legacy is all about two things: 1.) his acquisitions; 2.) 'opening' China.

WDW isn't even a blip on that radar and, even after all this stuff gets done (when he's gone), it still won't change a thing. Maybe it will turn into Chapie's Legacy, even though he has had about .008% influence on what is happening.

Mike S

From me?

I'm sorta tired of the whole fan community at this point. The arguing of facts. The passive aggressive BS. The not believing anything bad ... and then refusing to believe anything good. It wasn't all that long ago that I drank with a 'Celebrity Imagineer' at the DLH and he said that ''WDW fans get what they deserve.'' Sadly, that has largely been the case.
image.jpg

Don't count on it!!!! Awww!!!!!!!!

HauntedMansionFLA

Question: how many acres does Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain cover? Good example of two excellent rides done right with good theming. Hopefully DHS has something like this going for it in the Pixar section along with meet and greets for children, and several C - D rides. I would live Disney to do something with UP. Could they use the same technology as Star Tours?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Question: how many acres does Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain cover? Good example of two excellent rides done right with good theming. Hopefully DHS has something like this going for it in the Pixar section along with meet and greets for children, and several C - D rides. I would live Disney to do something with UP. Could they use the same technology as Star Tours?
They take up about 4.5 acres combined, including ride buildings and queues.

StageFrenzy

Iger's legacy is all about two things: 1.) his acquisitions; 2.) 'opening' China.

WDW isn't even a blip on that radar and, even after all this stuff gets done (when he's gone), it still won't change a thing. Maybe it will turn into Chapie's Legacy, even though he has had about .008% influence on what is happening.
Crappy movie?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can we stop with the stupid "I hate Iger" hyperbole? It's really getting old. Under his watch, we got the Dream, the Fantasy, Marvel, Pixar, Lucas, four of the top-10 grossing films of all time, DCA expansion, a profitable Disney Interactive segment, the highest-rated cable broadcast of all time, and a stock price that has grown from $24 to $114. That's a 375% increase, or 17% CAGR. This BS search for a "legacy defining" accomplishment ignores the fact that he, frankly, already has ten of them.

No, we can't. Some of us look at things beyond simply what he has done for the stock. We look at the real health of numerous business units. We look at how things were when he came in and how they'll be when he leaves.

Growing the DCL was a no-brainer. It was being seriously discussed by MDE in 2003. One could argue that both he and then Iger waited too long to pull the trigger ... and that Bob just made the same mistake again.

Pixar was never going anywhere but Disney. I've said it before, but the fact it was done by Iger speaks more to a toxic relationship between Steve Jobs and Michael Eisner than anything else. A lot of folks want to saint SJ because they couldn't imagine their lives without their Apple toys. I don't have them. And I have no affinity for the man. I cringe when I hear him compared to Walt Disney. Anyway, point being here is that Iger was like Ronald Reagan when the Iranian hostage crisis ended (the Iranians hated Jimmy Carter and wanted to embarrass and humiliate him, so they waited until Reagan was Prez and released them). Talk to anyone with ANY knowledge of the situation. Pixar had no legit other suitors and they weren't going it alone.

Marvel, despite not being a good fit and having odd and constraining deals with Sony and Fox and UNI, has been a great financial deal for Disney, no doubt.

And Lucas likely will be as well, although that is jumping to conclusions.

Oh, and you can admire someone's business acumen when spending other people's money, but still 'hate' the person behind the persona for who he really is.

You are more than welcome to start a 'Bob Iger is GOD ... Only Better!' thread. But so long as I'm posting here, I'm going to express my strong opinion that Bob has as many cons as pros.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom