Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

jt04

LOL that is true...it was pretty sad by the time they put it out of it's misery... Though it was still something to do that lasted more than 2 minutes... Looks like Slinky and spinner will both be less then 2 minute rides...

And they will have the advantage of making people smile.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Calling the final version of the back lot tour an attraction is very generous on your part.

I know, right? I always looked forward to seeing Walt Disney's plane, does anyone know what they did/are doing with it? I know, this is quite off-topic, so no more from me on this in this thread.

brb1006

Except there has not been much response to my reasoning why beyond "Nuh uh." But even then, good figures don't make for a good attraction, they still sit on bare rooms strung together by a nonsense narrative that's only purpose is to some string together bit of the soundtrack.
I really love the look for Tokyo's Pooh ride since the AA's look more alive since they are all given fur and the ride design looked like you're actually in the Pooh world even the ceiling looks convening and the entire ride itself doesn't feel bare.
Pooh-Hunny-Hunt-best-most-unique-ride-park.JPG

140428180238-theme-park-attractions-poohs-hunny-hunt-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

brb1006

They are nothing we have not seen before though. The Lumiere, 7DMT and the Ursula AA's are just as impressive as anything in FEA, yet people choose to be blown away by Elsa and Olaf because it is a new ride, or they did not like Maelstrom, or their child gets bored in Epcot, etc, etc. It is the, "anything is better nothing" mentality.
Then there's the AA's for the Sinbad attraction at Tokyo Disneysea

Cesar R M

The only reason I would be okay with Snow White in Germany is if it echoes the original Grimm story (so sort of like Snow White's Scary Adventures). I'd prefer the river cruise, but that doesn't look like it's happening any time soon.
But the brother grimms were NOT the creator of said stories if I remember correctly.. The original book was more of a collection and compilation of folk stories they compiled and read from various places. Not to mention their work were more related to Scholarly project to prevent extinction of old stories than actual "fairy tales".

Cesar R M

I really love the look for Tokyo's Pooh ride since the AA's look more alive since they are all given fur and the ride design looked like you're actually in the Pooh world even the ceiling looks convening and the entire ride itself doesn't feel bare.
Pooh-Hunny-Hunt-best-most-unique-ride-park.JPG

140428180238-theme-park-attractions-poohs-hunny-hunt-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Yet, we still get a ton of rides with visible lights and systems in WDW x_x
Anyone remembers the first Mermaid version before the light tweaks?

Tony the Tigger

Catching up...

But what if mommy had the money and spent it on magic beans?

That's her prerogative. She does not owe you either cake or ice cream.

Therefore, when "it's a business" is used, it shouldn't be knee-jerked mocked.

Agreed. Some may overuse it or misuse it. I do not.

Chasing margin above all else.. is not the only way to be successful.

Completely agree. And I know very well that Disney, eBay, and most other big companies do what Wall Street tells them to do to make their stock prices (sometimes artificially) inflate.

And I employ firsthand what you said in my own (very small) business. I sell many records for $2 and $3 that I could sell on ebay for $10 to $20. In fact, I have many customers who buy them for $2 and $3 to sell on ebay for $10 to $20. But the flip side of that is I have many regulars who come in week after week and are so happy that they were able to find something for $3 that they know would be $12 plus shipping on ebay. The loyalty is worth the price difference. And the happiest sound for me is a customer gasping when they are digging through and find something they love and thought they'd never find. I paid probably 50 cents for it, so I made my margin. I don't need to squeeze every bit of margin on everything (although I do on maybe 10% of the stuff that comes in, or at some point, it becomes irresponsible to the business. I'm not really Willy Wonka, I have to remind myself of that sometimes in order to pay the rent.) But my overriding philosophy is you can't expect people to go treasure hunting through the crates of records if there are no treasures to be found.

That said, I would caution against romanticizing the business side of Disney too much, and also acknowledge the difference between running the first and only park at the time vs. an international mega-corporation of theme parks, etc. etc. One is very different from the other. You can take a lot more risks with your first big experiment.

What part are you having trouble with? If "Disney is a business" is always the correct answer than there must be some sort of universal correct answer Disney is following.

You're awful at debate. Few things are so black or white. You were responding to this:

"Apparently a lot of people here need to wake up to that fact because they think it's all about altruism and artwork, purity, fairy dust, super fans telling a company what to do (and that what they do is "wrong") because the super fans have some imaginary claim over the legacy.

When someone starts naïvely whining and crying about "why can't Disney just fix everything at the same time?" Out comes the appropriate business argument."

And your answer in no way addressed the post to which you were responding.

The big difference is that I can articulate reasons for my assessment relating to model, posture, build quality and even animation. That's a wide swath of the metrics on which a figure would be judged.

You think you can, but you haven't. And you overvalue your own opinion in the equation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It really should stay in central Florida. Be nice if it got displayed on property. Or perhaps a collector will purchase and restore it.

Or more likely it will be sold to an aircraft salvage company as its parts are quite valuable as that particular plane is still in passenger service in South America and Asia and TWDC kept the aircrafts certificate current so the parts are resaleable because they were removed from a certified aircraft and hence eligible for FAA yellow tags once overhauled at a maintenance depot

Why will Disney junk it well just another step in removing Walts influence from the company

Princess Leia

Or more likely it will be sold to an aircraft salvage company as its parts are quite valuable as that particular plane is still in passenger service in South America and Asia and TWDC kept the aircrafts certificate current so the parts are resaleable because they were removed from a certified aircraft and hence eligible for FAA yellow tags once overhauled at a maintenance depot

Why will Disney junk it well just another step in removing Walts influence from the company
200_s.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom