Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Kman101

If any announcement starts off sounding anything like this - "In honor of Epcot's 35th anniversary, we are planning some MAGICAL!!! enhancements (based on guest feedback) to some of the most beloved Epcot attractions!" - Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I'm already afraid. They haven't exactly instilled a ton of confidence with their choices over the last two decades.

alphac2005

Apparently a lot of people here need to wake up to that fact because they think it's all about altruism and artwork, purity, fairy dust, super fans telling a company what to do (and that what they do is "wrong") because the super fans have some imaginary claim over the legacy.

When someone starts naïvely whining and crying about "why can't Disney just fix everything at the same time?" Out comes the appropriate business argument.

That's not the main issue where things go south here with this topic. The inappropriate argument is when someone whines that they are a business, when someone states that the simply don't live up to their quality standards, ones that that were supposedly the benchmark in quality, and the same ones that they have major corporations pay small fortunes to learn the supposed Disney way.

Simply put, as far as I'm concerned and with a significant business background, record profits and the least that they can do is maintain and keep the property clean and tidy as they had for decades. That doesn't happen any longer. As for building a zillion new things, that's a whole other issue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here's a recent quote from David K's return to Micechat as another perspective to the recent 'business' tangent...

David Koenig said:
And now I’m looking forward to sharing my perspective and secrets on the Happiest Place on Earth with MiceChat readers. I’ll always try to be fair and accurate; just remember that they’re coming from someone who sincerely believes that the Ways of Walt are (not were) better than most of the policies and priorities of today. That doesn’t mean that I think the Kaiser Hall of Aluminum Fame was better than Star Tours, or that any idea is intrinsically better just because Walt thought of it, but that his business philosophy (give general audiences the highest quality entertainment at a fair price, celebrate nostalgia while looking to the future, turn employees into natural ambassadors of the brand) guarantees long-term success, which outweighs the value of short-term surges or the costs of momentary hiccups. Walt wasn’t just a profiteer of the Disney brand—he knew he was also its caretaker.

EPCOTCenterLover

I believe the public will still buy excellence. Even if it's only excellence in marketing a mediocre or stale product as WDW has become in recent years.

Tony the Tigger

Also I disagree. The true measure of themed entertainment is story. If the story is strong the ride will be a success. The problem I have with existing IP rides is that I go onto the ride with a preconceived notion of what the story is going to be about. It's tied into a 90 minute movie with years of branding and merchandise. And even worse if you look at the more recent IP rides they are simple retellings of the original story. That is the laziest form of storytelling. I want to be surprised, awed and wanting more.

That's a problem for you, not for me.

Cesar R M

There's a strong possibility.

More details were planned to be given at the last fan geek out in November but were pulled at the eleventh hour.
Thanks again Marny!

I wonder if at this rare you should have your own live TV channel with "Thank you for your opinion @WDW1974 .And now, the Epcot's weather!" after leaking new information and schedules. :hilarious:

lazyboy97o

You would have likely have more people on youre side if you dropped the whole "lousy AA" thing.

None of the AAs in the ride were lousy.
Except there has not been much response to my reasoning why beyond "Nuh uh." But even then, good figures don't make for a good attraction, they still sit on bare rooms strung together by a nonsense narrative that's only purpose is to some string together bit of the soundtrack.

EPCOTCenterLover

According to Marni in another thread, Ratatouille is beating out Beauty and the Beast as a new attraction for France, I love both films but I'd prefer B and the B. Development costs must have been the determining factor.

Last edited:

Kman101

According to Marni in another thread, Ratatouille is beating out Beauty and the Beast as a new attraction for France, I love both films but I'd prefer B and the B. Development costs must have been the determine factor.

I'd prefer BaTB in the area it already has in the Magic Kingdom. Rat is better for France. I'd prefer the Beauty ride itself but it's really dumb that they have an entire area dedicated to the franchise but then want to put it in the France pavilion. Sure, it can fit, but Rat fits better. JMO.

Clowd Nyne

Whatever it is it needs to be a labor of love. NFL is a visually stunning and tiny kids love the attractions. Be our guest is a must do for my wife. Pandora looks like it's shaping up to be spectacular and I think we all know SWL is going to rock our mouse-ka-socks. As long as it's on par with what they've been doing lately I think we're in for a treat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom