Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

RSoxNo1

You're ignoring the rides that are obviously IP's by saying that "yeah they're based on IP's, but dont even talk about the properties they're basing it off of." Which they completely do. Splash Mountain is definitely an IP, The Haunted Mansion is an IP Because of the god awful Eddie Murphy movie and that semi okay Marvel comic book. Big Thunder Mountain because it's in the works right now of being turned into a television show, and which is also a Marvel comic book. Pirates of the Carribean is an IP, so i have no idea why you're saying "it's not always". With 4 movies, and a 5th one coming out this year, it is an IP. Frozen Ever After is an IP, Ellens Energy Adventure is an IP, The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, Pixars Short Film Festival are IP's. Tower of Terror, the twilight zone!? Come on, man. That's an IP. Toy Story Midway Mania, Rock 'n' Rollercoaster starring Aerosmith, Star Tours and the Great Movie Ride are all completely IP based. Dinosaur, Festival of the Lion King, and Finding Nemo the Musical are as well IP's. You can't just say, "Well since this IP is old for this ride, then it doesn't count." Even you saying that Dinosaur barley is an IP is false considering the entire reason why that ride exist is because of the movie Dinosaur.
Absolutely not.

The Haunted Mansion was an original concept and other than some Nightmare Before Christmas easter eggs has no intellectual property tie.

You can't possibly believe Big Thunder's success is related to an upcoming television show.

Pirates of the Caribbean has no IP originally. It was added after the ride inspired the movie. The movie then was integrated into the ride.

Read the entire post and stop trolling, that gets people banned.

Herbie

Absolutely not.

The Haunted Mansion was an original concept and other than some Nightmare Before Christmas easter eggs has no intellectual property tie.

You can't possibly believe Big Thunder's success is related to an upcoming television show.

Pirates of the Caribbean has no IP originally. It was added after the ride inspired the movie. The movie then was integrated into the ride.

Read the entire post and stop trolling, that gets people banned.

I believe that BTM show has been canned, as well.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You're ignoring the rides that are obviously IP's by saying that "yeah they're based on IP's, but dont even talk about the properties they're basing it off of." Which they completely do. Splash Mountain is definitely an IP, The Haunted Mansion is an IP Because of the god awful Eddie Murphy movie and that semi okay Marvel comic book. Big Thunder Mountain because it's in the works right now of being turned into a television show, and which is also a Marvel comic book. Pirates of the Carribean is an IP, so i have no idea why you're saying "it's not always". With 4 movies, and a 5th one coming out this year, it is an IP. Frozen Ever After is an IP, Ellens Energy Adventure is an IP, The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, Pixars Short Film Festival are IP's. Tower of Terror, the twilight zone!? Come on, man. That's an IP. Toy Story Midway Mania, Rock 'n' Rollercoaster starring Aerosmith, Star Tours and the Great Movie Ride are all completely IP based. Dinosaur, Festival of the Lion King, and Finding Nemo the Musical are as well IP's. You can't just say, "Well since this IP is old for this ride, then it doesn't count."

Which came first - The ride or the movie/comic book/TV show? Pirates was not an IP-based attraction until after the movies were released and they were updated/dumbed down to include Jack Sparrow. Even now, I would not call Pirates an IP-based attraction. Haunted Mansion is not an IP-based attraction. Big Thunder is not an IP-based attraction. EEA? RnRC? How are those IP-based? You cannot seriously consider a few minutes of 'Jeopardy' footage to be an IP.

Even you saying that Dinosaur barley is an IP is false considering the entire reason why that ride exist is because of the movie Dinosaur.

Are you serious? The ride was originally "Countdown to Extinction". It had NOTHING to do with the movie until AFTER the movie came out. Even then, it has little tie-in to the movie.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The reason why it was called Countdown to Extinction was because they needed a temporary name before the movie actually came out. Why they couldn't promote the film before the movie was released is beyond me.

Because a ride that was designed and intended to be opened with the opening of Animal Kingdom in April 1998 would be tied into a movie that wasn't going to be released for 2 more years... Go find and watch @marni1971 's "Dinosaur at DAK Ultimate Tribute" video. CTX had absolutely nothing to do with the movie 'Dinosaur' until after the movie was released.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes it was underdevelopment before the Dinorsaur film, the final concept was nothing like it was when it was on the drawing boards because im guessing sometime between the development they saw that the animators across the room were making a ride about dinosaurs. Bing boom bam, that's how we got our movie tie in attraction
You really shouldn't try to pass off personal guesses as facts. You may be misunderstood.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The reason why it was called Countdown to Extinction was because they needed a temporary name before the movie actually came out. Why they couldn't promote the film before the movie was released is beyond me.

Yes it was underdevelopment before the Dinorsaur film, the final concept was nothing like it was when it was on the drawing boards because im guessing sometime between the development they saw that the animators across the room were making a ride about dinosaurs. Bing boom bam, that's how we got our movie tie in attraction

And then...
Never said it was facts.

Most of the English speaking world would interpret that as an implied fact. Remember there's a lot of people here who know an awful lot about WDW and whom are happy to share their knowledge.

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

Nope. All i said was that "theres a marvel comic book based on the ride." He wrote literally an article about why he loves Big Thunder Mountain and i wanted to show it to him/her if maybe he/she were interested in diving more into the story of his/hers favorite attraction
Nice try, but your entire rant was about how rides were based on IPs and your justification for claiming that about HM and BTMRR was solely based on things (comic books and movies) that came about many years later. Maybe go back and read which of your posts I quoted.

RSoxNo1

A lot of people on here get confused with the word trolling. It's not trolling when someone is trying to have a conversation with another person about the things they both love.

Nevertheless i stand by what i said. Yes, Pirates didn't have an IP Originally. But it's not the same Pirates. The ride inspired the movie, and then the movie inspired the ride, leaving us with an IP based Pirates of the Carribean. Remember when that dumb Country Bear Jamboree movie came out? Well, fortunately, it didn't change the ride. So if i were to say that Country Bears were a IP attraction, then i would be wrong.
Similar to the Country Bears, you're saying that The Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are IP based when they're not. You're contradicting yourself in your own argument.

RSoxNo1

Incorrect. CTX was under development well before the movie Dinosaur.
True.

It (like everything) had a grander finale planned that would tie together the entire land. The tie to the DINOSAUR intellectual property is as I said originally, "barely".

Some attractions that have an intellectual property manage to exist beyond that intellectual property. Something like Splash Mountain does this even though the stories are very much rooted in the Song of the South. This is more of a function of ignorance to the older movie as opposed to anything deliberate by Disney (other than replacing Uncle Remus with a Frog). DINOSAUR exists beyond the intellectual property because other than the species used there is nothing to tie it to the movie Dinosaur. Something like Frozen Ever After is unmistakenly attached to the intellectual property in the same way that your typical Fantasyland rides are attached to their intellectual property.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
giphy.gif
Facts are a hard thing for some to accept. I blame the education system....

TeriofTerror

I'm sure you are still as fetching as ever. Grey probably becomes you! The rest of us just get old, you more then likely age like fine wine. Better every day.
Did I lay that on thick enough, cause I could throw more compliments out if it helps. :):joyfull:
A piece of wisdom to share with all of you gents: A true gentleman always remembers a lady's birthday, but never her age. That little tip will serve you well, I promise.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom