Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Earl Sweatpants

Read up on the Japan Pavilion's Wikipedia. Apparently at one point there was a proposed coaster to be built in the show building (which somehow still remains empty??) and was to be a Matterhorn-esque ride themed after Mount Fuji. However, Fuji film (the proposed sponsor) clashed with Imagination's sponsor Kodak, and the plans were scrapped.
Japan's pavilion has had so many 'Almost-Attractions'
  • Fuji-Coaster
  • Bullet Train
  • Godzilla appearing on the Fuji Coaster and the Bullet Train
  • Meet the World clone
If we're going to have another IP in a world pavilion, I'd like it to be something that's actually Japanese. I doubt we'll get the Fuji coaster with Godzilla, but I'd prefer that or Ghibli over Big Hero 6.
Yup. Its fascinating that nothing ever actually materialized in the show building. But if we're talking IPs, Godzilla or Ghibli - yes. BH6 - *sigh* no

Earl Sweatpants

The "could have been Bullet Train" attraction.
bullet-train-565x324.png

doctornick

@lentesta on the latest episode of WDW Today mentioned an IP based attraction for the Japan Pavilion. Mr. Testa, do you care to elaborate?

Well, Godzilla is an IP -- I think something involving him would both make sense. Would be an IP that would feel like it "fits" in terms of the pavilion's culture. Yes, it's an outside IP, but anything from Studio Ghibli would also need to be licensed, no? I really can't imagine them doing anything from Ghibli given its relative obscurity -- at that point, just do something historical and it would resonate just as much with the masses.

Heck, just build a freaking Mt Fuji coaster using the same plans as the Matterhorn.

I agree with everyone else about Big Hero 6. I think it's a decent fit... in Future World, being used to talk about robotics or medical technology. But not in the Japan pavilion.

Earl Sweatpants

Well, Godzilla is an IP -- I think something involving him would both make sense. Would be an IP that would feel like it "fits" in terms of the pavilion's culture. Yes, it's an outside IP, but anything from Studio Ghibli would also need to be licensed, no? I really can't imagine them doing anything from Ghibli given its relative obscurity -- at that point, just do something historical and it would resonate just as much with the masses.

Heck, just build a freaking Mt Fuji coaster using the same plans as the Matterhorn.

I agree with everyone else about Big Hero 6. I think it's a decent fit... in Future World, being used to talk about robotics or medical technology. But not in the Japan pavilion.
BH6 would have made sense if Wonders of Life still existed. Health Clinic with Baymax. Easy, done. Next!

Princess Leia

Does Kodak still sponsor Imagination? I know Disney's not relying on sponsors anymore, but this could finally be Fujifilm's chance to get into the park.

doctornick

Does Kodak still sponsor Imagination? I know Disney's not relying on sponsors anymore, but this could finally be Fujifilm's chance to get into the park.

Kodak is no longer the sponsor and I don't think anyone sponsors Imagination any more.

So I would think Fujifilm would be fair game, though I don't know how much they'd be interested. Still, there are a ton of Japanese companies and corporate sponsorship of things is very prevalent in that country (just look at TDL and how much stuff is sponsored and other things like how corporations sponsor sports teams). So, perhaps one reason a ride is being considered for Japan is because they might have a company lined up to help pay for some of the costs.

Earl Sweatpants

According to Wiki, Kodak ended its 28 year sponsorship in 2010. Subsequently, their reluctance to make the jump to digital photography caused Kodak to file for bankruptcy in 2012 and focus more on imaging for business since then. The road looks clear ahead!

Princess Leia

As an aside, Japan would be a great location for a ride. It's pretty much half way around the lagoon from the existing WS rides, so that would help to spread out crowds (especially if something is also added to France, as has been rumored) who are looking for that sort of thing.
It's embarrassing to think about how much Disney dropped the ball when it came to developing the WS. Germany and Japan deserve to have their rides finally installed. Like you said, Japan would be a great help in dispersing crowds, especially if the ride was a people eating D-or-E ticket.

I'd also be thrilled if a new pavilion (like Brazil or Ethiopia) would show up, complete with a ride and a restaurant.

Kman101

Hmm. Only choice for IP would be BH6. I loved Big Hero 6, and there is a series coming out, but .... no.

If it's not something like the bullet train, or Mt. Fuji I'd rather they not. Maybe they'll surprise us. LOL. Yeah. Right.

twilight mitsuk

Read up on the Japan Pavilion's Wikipedia. Apparently at one point there was a proposed coaster to be built in the show building (which somehow still remains empty??) and was to be a Matterhorn-esque ride themed after Mount Fuji. However, Fuji film (the proposed sponsor) clashed with Imagination's sponsor Kodak, and the plans were scrapped.

Also, according to the article, the proposed Mt Fuji coaster would have featured Godzilla! Now THAT would have been awesome!

could be happening now that Kodak is gone

Earl Sweatpants

The building is still there today. It's been used for storage, offices, rehearsal space and work shops over time.

That's why the fortress at the back of the pavilion (as seen from the promenade) is so tall.
Good to know. Can you speak any to the rumors of an incoming attraction or is it hush-hush?

P_Radden

Also, according to the article, the proposed Mt Fuji coaster would have featured Godzilla! Now THAT would have been awesome!
I asked that specific question when we were on the UnDiscovered Future World tour. Although the ride was never built, the building is not empty. There are multiple tool & maintenance shops, etc in there.

Edit: whoops I didn't see your comment above saying the same @marni1971

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

I'm definitely in support of outsider IPs in World Showcase (especially Godzilla). If you have to force IP into World Showcase, it's better to show off a nation's contributions to pop culture then just a Disney character. But guess who's currently got the Godzilla theme park rights...

tumblr_oe0h0zuRvc1qcqjsdo1_1280.jpg

Part of USJ's Universal The Cool program of rotating 4D attractions and experiences based on popular Japanese IP.
CzIlbi7UsAAGPU4.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom