Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

JohnD

I think Imagination has the luxury of being rather timeline compared to some other pavilions. It's a concept, that the power of creativity and imagination is outstanding and can do amazing things, can age very well if Disney can be smart about designing an attraction.

It can be the original storyline with the original recorded voices (RIP Billy Barty as Figment). Just update the tech. in each section that guests travel through.

lazyboy97o

You know if the never-ending plain hallways even had simple windows into the martian landscape, that would do a lot to make you feeel more transported...
This is a big misconception about Mission: SPACE that is not very well communicated. You never see Mars because the story is not that you are going to Mars. The story is that you are training to go to Mars. Mission: SPACE is a simulation of a simulation.

Goofyernmost

This is a big misconception about Mission: SPACE that is not very well communicated. You never see Mars because the story is not that you are going to Mars. The story is that you are training to go to Mars. Mission: SPACE is a simulation of a simulation.
Wait, you mean I didn't walk all the way back from Mars? Why was I so tired by the time I got back to WDW? :)

The Empress Lilly

Epcot, no longer EPCOT.

You go on a test track. A simulation. You go on a test mission. You visit dinosaurs in a dream.

You didn't really drive a car, nor went to space, nor to a primeval world.

In every instance, you didn't (make pretend) actually went someplace. Subconsciously this affects the experience. This is, amongst much else, why Epcot feels so flat. Lacking depth, lacking meaning beyond the time of the ride itself. To add to this flat effect, the rides barely communicate with a larger purpose of the park, in meaning and stylistic execution.

FigmentJedi

Epcot, no longer EPCOT.

You go on a test track. A simulation. You go on a test mission. You visit dinosaurs in a dream.

You didn't really drive a car, nor went to space, nor to a primeval world.

In every instance, you didn't (make pretend) actually went someplace. Subconsciously this affects the experience. This is, amongst much else, why Epcot feels so flat. Lacking depth, lacking meaning beyond the time of the ride itself. To add to this flat effect, the rides barely communicate with a larger purpose of the park, in meaning and stylistic execution.
At least Test Track's "test track" is now in some digital Tron-style grid as opposed to the original's "random General Motors warehouse". Of course, they didn't really bother to connect the digital world to the outer loop in any coherent way and the Grid angle of the ride seems kinda glossed over.

Haymarket2008

@marni1971 , I understand you can't say very much at all, but could you shed some light on the World Showcase attractions? Apart from the possible Coco overlay to Gran Fiesta Tour and the mystery France attraction.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
At least Test Track's "test track" is now in some digital Tron-style grid as opposed to the original's "random General Motors warehouse". Of course, they didn't really bother to connect the digital world to the outer loop in any coherent way and the Grid angle of the ride seems kinda glossed over.

But tech and blinky lights are cool... Says some random WDI drone with a degree in set dressing from some lower tier film school with zero 'real world' experience.

lazyboy97o

The revamp of Test Track only made the situation worse. It too is now a simulation of a simulation, and it's small focus on design often not functioning. Now does looking "tech-y" actually create an experience about human achievement and an optimism for the future. Theme is far more than just aesthetics.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
But there's a dozen or so proposals floating around.

A dozen?!? Would it be correct to assume that at least a few of those are "Plan A" and "Plan B" attractions for the same site in a specific country? Basically, they would build one or the other but not both? Or is it really possible that they have that many proposals for that many different sites around World Showcase that in a hail Mary/best case scenario that many new attractions could be added?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The revamp of Test Track only made the situation worse. It too is now a simulation of a simulation, and it's small focus on design often not functioning. Now does looking "tech-y" actually create an experience about human achievement and an optimism for the future. Theme is far more than just aesthetics.
The human elements of the original TT such as the pre ride video and on board communication from "Bill" in the control center not only enriched the educational aspects but also gave the ride a soul. The revamp left it lifeless and the constant glitches in the A.I. leave one wondering what exactly they just experienced. The ride is no longer a highlight of achievement. It is laser beams and occasionally functioning synthesized voices and projections.

DisDan

Hi Guys, I am checking in on threads for the first time in a loooong while. Just been too busy with life to keep up with all the latest rumors. So I will kindly ask if someone could give me the TL;DR for this thread? What have they announced (if anything)? What is the current rumor of which attractions will be affected? New Attractions?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
This will be quite easy...

What have they announced (if anything)?

Nothing has been announced...

What is the current rumor of which attractions will be affected? New Attractions?

Rumors have more or less been given to just about every square inch of the park. Strongest rumors have been towards a GOTG replacement of Universe of Energy (discussed on a separate thread), but no other strong rumors towards anything else beyond that. The whole notion came from a one line quote more or less summarized in the title of this thread with no other details given. As such, people seem to believe this will be a "fix" on the scope of the "fixes" to DCA or Hollywood Studios. Mostly people saying what they would like to see (replacement of Journey) or what they think might be reasonable options (clone of DSP's Ratatouille ride in France).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A dozen?!? Would it be correct to assume that at least a few of those are "Plan A" and "Plan B" attractions for the same site in a specific country? Basically, they would build one or the other but not both? Or is it really possible that they have that many proposals for that many different sites around World Showcase that in a hail Mary/best case scenario that many new attractions could be added?
There's a few vying for the same site.

JohnD

But tech and blinky lights are cool... Says some random WDI drone with a degree in set dressing from some lower tier film school with zero 'real world' experience.

Never got to experience the original TT. But I do think it's ironic that people want the original more realistic TT back in Future World (not against it) while the gasoline powered cars in Tomorrowland are too present day.

doctornick

I think Imagination has the luxury of being rather timeline compared to some other pavilions. It's a concept, that the power of creativity and imagination is outstanding and can do amazing things, can age very well if Disney can be smart about designing an attraction.

Yep, the original Imagination was a timeless concept and fantastic ride. If it was left as it and just updated for functionality, I would expect it would be considered one of those untouchable Disney classics.

FigmentJedi

The human elements of the original TT such as the pre ride video and on board communication from "Bill" in the control center not only enriched the educational aspects but also gave the ride a soul. The revamp left it lifeless and the constant glitches in the A.I. leave one wondering what exactly they just experienced. The ride is no longer a highlight of achievement. It is laser beams and occasionally functioning synthesized voices and projections.
What human element? The people in the original preshow were some of the dullest actors in a ride preshow I've ever seen. Realistic only in the sense that they seem to have been worn down by the daily grind of operating a theme park ride about car testing and having to listen to that godawful Nickelodeon gameshow music they called a musical score.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What human element? The people in the original preshow were some of the dullest actors in a ride preshow I've ever seen. Realistic only in the sense that they seem to have been worn down by the daily grind of operating a theme park ride about car testing and having to listen to that godawful Nickelodeon gameshow music they called a musical score.
Im not sure what your expectations are of a control center for an automobile testing facility sould entail, but I feel it was well done and the actors did a fine job. My wife and I still quote some of the lines from the original. The new version of TT is void of any character. Its robotic, cold and far from what a real testing facility is like, unless said facility has laser trees and constantly malfunctioning screens, speakers, and VR car design simulations. What does a person take away from the new version that is more informative or educational compared to the original?

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I'm not sure it ever intended to function. I'm sure it was just random picks made by a computer as to how they rate any ones design. There are possibly six different designs riding in one car. How can any of them possible be legit. Just another smoke and mirror tactic like using the hand control on Mission: Space. Seems real at the time, but, absolutely no connection to reality at all.

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure it ever intended to function. I'm sure it was just random picks made by a computer as to how they rate any ones design. There are possibly six different designs riding in one car. How can any of them possible be legit. Just another smoke and mirror tactic like using the hand control on Mission: Space. Seems real at the time, but, absolutely no connection to reality at all.
The whole point of the attraction is that you are testing your design. You are supposed to see how your design did after each test. All of that software was written and the displays throughout are all intended to show that information.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom