Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Goofyernmost

The whole point of the attraction is that you are testing your design. You are supposed to see how your design did after each test. All of that software was written and the displays throughout are all intended to show that information.
Sure but they were all within specific choices given by the computer and set up with specific responses based on the combination of those choices. It's not like anyone sat there and designed with numbers, measurements, probabilities and engineering the specific design of the vehicle and then the computer did a thorough evaluation and graded it accordingly. It was all pre-determined and then they couldn't even keep the software working well enough to consistently preform that function.

lazyboy97o

Sure but they were all within specific choices given by the computer and set up with specific responses based on the combination of those choices. It's not like anyone sat there and designed with numbers, measurements, probabilities and engineering the specific design of the vehicle and then the computer did a thorough evaluation and graded it accordingly. It was all pre-determined and then they couldn't even keep the software working well enough to consistently preform that function.
It's a basic component of video games that has been possible for years. Nothing ambitious about the concept.

The Empress Lilly

The revamp of Test Track only made the situation worse. It too is now a simulation of a simulation, and it's small focus on design often not functioning. Now does looking "tech-y" actually create an experience about human achievement and an optimism for the future. Theme is far more than just aesthetics.
In revanche, aesthetics is about more than just visuals too. TT2 at least has a futuristic look, which instills a sense of optimism, a bright shiny future. You feel like you are riding on the roads of CenterCore. It is so much closer to classic FW and to the general purpose of the park than the dirty, smelly test track garage where they kill test dummies like yourself for pleasure. TT1 was an architecture of danger, of noise, of chaos, of dirtyness - aesthetics where the visual clash with EPCOT crosses over into a clash of meaning, feel, atmosphere.

OvertheHorizon

A couple of points:

WDW has four theme parks. I like the idea that they are different, with different themes.

Some have suggested that Disney is trying to turn all of their parks into Magic Kingdoms. I hope that doesn't happen, and that each retains its own identity.

I understand that today's audience is looking for more "excitement" and new elements. But the most visited park is Magic Kingdom, and their most popular attractions continue to grab the audience's attention with very few changes over the years. But the MK has evolved as a park over the years, and most attractions weren't reliant on video technology (which can age rapidly). Think about the portable phone Ellen displays in the Energy pavilion for example.

Disney can add IP to Epcot (IMHO), as long as it furthers the story of creativity, innovation, etc. to address our energy problems, protect the environment, advance technology for a better, healthier world. Epcot has always been my favorite park. But when story lines become outdated (Energy), or the technology used to tell those stories isn't updated (imagine Body Wars with the kind of update Star Tours received), and when "World Showcase" only showcases the same 11 countries it did in the late-80s, it is easy to understand why people find the park tired and less desirable. Whatever changes/additions need to be worthy of the original aspirations of the park.

spacemt354

Chili's
A couple of points:

WDW has four theme parks. I like the idea that they are different, with different themes.

Some have suggested that Disney is trying to turn all of their parks into Magic Kingdoms. I hope that doesn't happen, and that each retains its own identity.

I understand that today's audience is looking for more "excitement" and new elements. But the most visited park is Magic Kingdom, and their most popular attractions continue to grab the audience's attention with very few changes over the years. But the MK has evolved as a park over the years, and most attractions weren't reliant on video technology (which can age rapidly). Think about the portable phone Ellen displays in the Energy pavilion for example.

Disney can add IP to Epcot (IMHO), as long as it furthers the story of creativity, innovation, etc. to address our energy problems, protect the environment, advance technology for a better, healthier world. Epcot has always been my favorite park. But when story lines become outdated (Energy), or the technology used to tell those stories isn't updated (imagine Body Wars with the kind of update Star Tours received), and when "World Showcase" only showcases the same 11 countries it did in the late-80s, it is easy to understand why people find the park tired and less desirable. Whatever changes/additions need to be worthy of the original aspirations of the park.
Wonderfully said.

James Norrie

A couple of points:

I agree wholeheartedly! If they could find a way to keep the attractions relevant (Imagination with new features, Energy with a new future, Seas with a real, non cliff note book story - but actual marine biology centered around a story line), it would be great. Sadly, the slap and stick method of inserting IP's seems to be the norm nowadays. I'm not anti-IP at all, I enjoyed frozenstrom, and still to this day love Splash Mountain (Yes, it is an IP). It can be done, but it takes imagination and money to do. Hopefully this new funding boost will cover the latter, the former needs to be Card-esque Imagineering, with approval from the higher-ups to run with an idea and not nickel-and-dime every part of it.

Disneyhead'71

Dear lord, let it not be Big Hero 6/San Fransokyo. That is the only Disney IP set in something loosely based off of Japan. I wonder if they'll go with something like Spirited Away. They did help produce the film...
How about an original Disney attraction starring Duffy the Disney Bear?

Princess Leia

Dear lord, let it not be Big Hero 6/San Fransokyo. That is the only Disney IP set in something loosely based off of Japan. I wonder if they'll go with something like Spirited Away. They did help produce the film...

I've got my fingers crossed for Studio Ghibli. Spirited Away, Totoro, Kiki, Howl's Moving Castle? The possibilities are endless, and I'd welcome any of them (though I don't see attractions for Princess Mononoke or The Wind Rises happening anytime soon ).

Big Hero 6 literally did nothing for me. Sure, Baymax is cute, but I'm really hoping Disney doesn't create a ride for it in the Japan pavilion.

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

Sadly, BH6 makes the most sense (used very loosely) for a Japan-related attraction. What exactly the attraction will be though is a mystery. I can't imagine some type of coaster. Guessing it would be probably some sort of Baymax-centric dark ride.

Princess Leia

These designs are from John Ramirez, who works at Disney as a designer. The first is for 'Castle in the Sky' and the second is 'My Neighbor Totoro'.
Laputa-Ride.jpg

totoro-ride-disney-04202016.jpg

http://nerdist.com/disney-theme-park-designer-dreams-up-a-castle-in-the-sky-ride/
http://nerdist.com/this-disney-artists-design-for-a-totoro-ride-is-our-new-dream/

Earl Sweatpants

Read up on the Japan Pavilion's Wikipedia. Apparently at one point there was a proposed coaster to be built in the show building (which somehow still remains empty??) and was to be a Matterhorn-esque ride themed after Mount Fuji. However, Fuji film (the proposed sponsor) clashed with Imagination's sponsor Kodak, and the plans were scrapped.

Also, according to the article, the proposed Mt Fuji coaster would have featured Godzilla! Now THAT would have been awesome!

Princess Leia

Read up on the Japan Pavilion's Wikipedia. Apparently at one point there was a proposed coaster to be built in the show building (which somehow still remains empty??) and was to be a Matterhorn-esque ride themed after Mount Fuji. However, Fuji film (the proposed sponsor) clashed with Imagination's sponsor Kodak, and the plans were scrapped.
Japan's pavilion has had so many 'Almost-Attractions'
  • Fuji-Coaster
  • Bullet Train
  • Godzilla appearing on the Fuji Coaster and the Bullet Train
  • Meet the World clone
If we're going to have another IP in a world pavilion, I'd like it to be something that's actually Japanese. I doubt we'll get the Fuji coaster with Godzilla, but I'd prefer that or Ghibli over Big Hero 6.

Also, in regards to Meet the World, I think it's potentially safe to bring it across the Pacific now. We didn't get it because it barely addressed WWII and Disney didn't want to offend veterans (both of them understandable reasons, but really, idk how you address Japan's role in WWII tastefully). It's been 71 years since the end of the war. I think it's okay to use the attraction now (as long as it's updated).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom