Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Cesar R M

The "could have been Bullet Train" attraction.
bullet-train-565x324.png
Bullet train that not only shows images of Japan but also of cultural movies (think of entering a tunnel and passing on Totoro style scene, then to spirited away..)

Princess Leia

I'm definitely in support of outsider IPs in World Showcase (especially Godzilla). If you have to force IP into World Showcase, it's better to show off a nation's contributions to pop culture then just a Disney character. But guess who's currently got the Godzilla theme park rights...

tumblr_oe0h0zuRvc1qcqjsdo1_1280.jpg

Part of USJ's Universal The Cool program of rotating 4D attractions and experiences based on popular Japanese IP.
CzIlbi7UsAAGPU4.jpg
:( Is this anything like the Marvel deal (only Uni can use it east of the Mississippi), or do all of the Uni parks have first dibs on Godzilla?

RSoxNo1

I've been on Mission Space once and haven't really felt the need or urge to go on it again. It's a fine ride, it's a neat attraction, but an entire space pavilion would have been better (well, of course it would have been ... lol). I think they can do better and it's something I'd have rather seen at the Kennedy Space Center.
I've actually come to appreciate Mission: SPACE in recent years. Less for the attraction itself and more so for the intimate setting with friends and family. You can rip on each other when they miss a button, mess with children or otherwise enjoy each other's company. Despite being a totally different ride system it's similar to a raft ride in that respect. On a raft ride you often make fun of the person that gets splashed and feels similarly intimate.

Kman101

I've actually come to appreciate Mission: SPACE in recent years. Less for the attraction itself and more so for the intimate setting with friends and family. You can rip on each other when they miss a button, mess with children or otherwise enjoy each other's company. Despite being a totally different ride system it's similar to a raft ride in that respect. On a raft ride you often make fun of the person that gets splashed and feels similarly intimate.

Agreed. I kind of forget about that aspect of it, but it is fun and more intimate. You share the experience with someone and can have fun with it. Almost makes me want to take another spin next time I go to Epcot. But overall though, the ride itself has never really compelled me to do a repeat visit. I say the same about Toy Story Mania. I'm sure it's fun for those that are competitive and those who like to play Wii, but for me it's not a repeatable ride. I can see why it is, but they can do a lot better for both.

And both could and should be updated more often, or at all. No reason SPACE can't have different missions. Or no reason Toy Story can't do seasonal overlays or switch up the games. But that doesn't mean either ride is "bad".

doctornick

I'm definitely in support of outsider IPs in World Showcase (especially Godzilla). If you have to force IP into World Showcase, it's better to show off a nation's contributions to pop culture then just a Disney character. But guess who's currently got the Godzilla theme park rights.

Even if that is true in Japan, does Uni have the rights for the USA? Or, for that matter, do they have exclusive rights? There have been so many iterations of the character that's it's conceivable for one version of the character to be contracted out but another version still available.

Not that I'm holding out any hope for that as an IP to be used, just I'd be curious if it would even be possible.

What else might be a good IP for a Japan pavilion? Is there any famous manga perhaps?

Bacon

Original Poster
Hopefully Chapek keeps adding great rides like Frozen Ever After, Soarin around the world and Finding Nemo. We were at EPCOT this past week and they were the best rides there. We did enjoy SSE and Mission Space too.
Soarin' is fine.
Hopefully he doesn't.

I'd hope he gets a lesson in what a great ride is. And that synergy isn't always needed.
Oh @marni1971!

brb1006

Even if that is true in Japan, does Uni have the rights for the USA? Or, for that matter, do they have exclusive rights? There have been so many iterations of the character that's it's conceivable for one version of the character to be contracted out but another version still available.

Not that I'm holding out any hope for that as an IP to be used, just I'd be curious if it would even be possible.

What else might be a good IP for a Japan pavilion? Is there any famous manga perhaps?
There's One Piece (But that's currently at Universal Studios Japan at least as an exhibit)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The human elements of the original TT such as the pre ride video and on board communication from "Bill" in the control center not only enriched the educational aspects but also gave the ride a soul. The revamp left it lifeless and the constant glitches in the A.I. leave one wondering what exactly they just experienced. The ride is no longer a highlight of achievement. It is laser beams and occasionally functioning synthesized voices and projections.

Although I vastly prefer the new Test Track (when it works properly), I do agree about the personality missing from the attraction. Perhaps an animated character to help you through the process of designing and testing your car would have given it more personality.

Daveeeeed

Although I vastly prefer the new Test Track (when it works properly), I do agree about the personality missing from the attraction. Perhaps an animated character to help you through the process of designing and testing your car would have given it more personality.
I think an animatronic robot would be cool. Along with sets is what is lacking from Test Track.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Agreed. I kind of forget about that aspect of it, but it is fun and more intimate. You share the experience with someone and can have fun with it. Almost makes me want to take another spin next time I go to Epcot. But overall though, the ride itself has never really compelled me to do a repeat visit. I say the same about Toy Story Mania. I'm sure it's fun for those that are competitive and those who like to play Wii, but for me it's not a repeatable ride. I can see why it is, but they can do a lot better for both.

And both could and should be updated more often, or at all. No reason SPACE can't have different missions. Or no reason Toy Story can't do seasonal overlays or switch up the games. But that doesn't mean either ride is "bad".

It's the interactive nature of the ride which makes it fun to do with friends and family and if you have ever BEEN in a military aircraft the cramped nature of the cockpit is quite authentic

I like M:S and it's a must do for me but I wish we had a fully realized space pavilion

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I worked with IBM Global Services for about 5 years at my previous employer. Standard IBM formula - Win 'em over with the 'A' team, work in the 'B' team to keep things going, then slip 'em the 'C' team. And with each change-out of personnel, the overall quality of service provided dropped. In fact, the quality and knowledge of people going from the 'B' team to the 'C' team was akin to falling off a cliff...

I'd liken that scenario to Walt and those who built up the company with he and Roy, then moving to Eisner, and today with Iger. It's not a perfect fit, but you should get the idea.

And what I do IRL is clean up the disaster created by the 'C' team and clueless management and for that reason many times I'm about as welcome as ants at a picnic because the whole reason I'm there is everyone else has failed utterly and my 'war room' is where everything is dissected and recovery plans made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom