• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Wonder how much Google spent on this ride at the Consumer Electronics Show... and how easily something like this could have gone into Communicore/Innoventions... especially a plussed version.

There's a full 360 version straight from Google as well.
It's a super charming...ad...ride. But the thing is, I don't really care. For being a 3 1/2 minute long ad, it was very well done. It feels Epcot-y honestly. It even has a purely original song that's super catchy!

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
It's a super charming...ad...ride. But the thing is, I don't really care. For being a 3 1/2 minute long ad, it was very well done. It feels Epcot-y honestly. It even has a purely original song that's super catchy!
It kept reminding me of "You're Welcome" from Moana. I wonder who did the voice for this ride.

the ride looks better than the current state of Imagination honestly, wake up Disney.

In case people still don’t believe that the average theme park guest (not the fanboys, the average guest) wants as much Disney movie presence in Epcot as possible... here is a Disney College Program Facebook group page I’m in. For a small example.

View attachment 337683 View attachment 337684
Add a Ralph and Vanellope M&G at the end, and I'm sold!

I mean, TT done up to look like Sugar Rush? I can't help but think that would look so cool! And probably smell delicous.

Last edited:

larryz

Well-Worn Member
Premium Member
Well... original EPCOT was IP driven... by the corporate sponsors. Without them, would any of those big edutainment rides have been built?

Then there was the issue of upkeep. Showcases of modern technology grow stale and outdated. The World Fairs which EPCOT was emulating takes care of that by breaking down and re-opening every five to ten years later with new sponsors and brand new attractions featuring the brand new technological edge. Did anyone planning EPCOT also plan to scrap the attractions and build new ones in their places every 10 years like World Fairs do? Did they really think those pavilions were good to go for the next 50 years?

Or did anyone think that a sponsor would want to pay the sponsorship cost for 10, 20, 50 years? Or that the sponsor would have the cash to do so? Or even continue to exist (sorry, Kodak). Or pony up for expensive refurbs and updates?

Are there sponsors beating down the doors of Disney looking to pay a hundred million dollars for an edutainment attraction so they can put their name on it? Is Apple looking to create and sponsor a Personal Tech Pavilion (one that they'd have to update every 18 months)? Is Amazon looking to create and sponsor an Economics of Trade Pavilion?

And if sponsors aren't sponsoring them... then Disney has to sponsor the attractions. And if Disney's doing the sponsoring... well, they have a product to advertise... their established IPs.
And yet -- look at what a company like Mitsukoshi has done in WS... I know people who go to Epcot just to shop there.

And yet EPCOT Center attracted a crowd and made money...
Yeah, but that's only 'cause it's paid off and completely depreciated.

I know people who go to Epcot just to shop there.
I used to be one of them, today it can be easier/cheaper to amazon some of that stuff but I miss out on getting to use my Japanese. I still go once a month just to check out whats in stock. Funnily enough, we spent a while searching online for some of the dinnerware pieces they sell. Turns out theres like one distributor for most of it in the US and they focus on restaurant supply. So Mitsukoshi in the Japan pavillion turns out to not be a bad deal at all if you don't want a set of 400 and you want specific pieces.

Honestly, you don't need a ride to showcase new technology. Just make a huge Apple Store type environment for people to go in and browse the latest technology along with prototypes of future technology. It's something where you can easily swap out pieces and have companies sponsor it since they'd get millions of eyes on their products every year. Let people learn about these things, how they work, what they do, etc. Have interactive videos, let people use some of these things in a hands on kind of way. So much stuff you can do without spending a lot of money or having to do a big overhaul every few years. In fact you can easily just swap out for new stuff every year or less.

Honestly, you don't need a ride to showcase new technology. Just make a huge Apple Store type environment for people to go in and browse the latest technology along with prototypes of future technology. It's something where you can easily swap out pieces and have companies sponsor it since they'd get millions of eyes on their products every year. Let people learn about these things, how they work, what they do, etc. Have interactive videos, let people use some of these things in a hands on kind of way. So much stuff you can do without spending a lot of money or having to do a big overhaul every few years. In fact you can easily just swap out for new stuff every year or less.
So like Comunnicore/Innoventions?

Plus a ride is more attractive to people and it keeps a flow versus having a bunch of people packing into a small space trying to play with each piece of tech.
Edit: Flashbacks of waiting to play a Dreamcast. And then being pulled away after after a minute because my parents were in a rush. Still kinda want one so obviously that bit of marketing worked.

Last edited:
Were you intentionally describing Innoventions?

Top Bottom