• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

jt04

Iger originally announced Pandora in 2011. Lucasfilm wasn't acquired until 2012.
Lucas was seen surveying the park years before he sold Lucasfilm. So I have always assumed one of the selling points was Disney committing to some sort of SWL for his legacy. Probably just back of the napkin sketches at that point but I think the ball was rolling* well before 2011.

*not an IJ pun.

jt04

And he’s been there many times before that too... but kudos for finding someone to latch onto for generating new drivel.
We were getting plenty of hints in those days that a "Lucasland", as many here called it, was a strong possibility. Not many expected Disney to buy the franchise though. Or build something on the scale of Galaxy's Edge. Much less two of them. We were talking in terms of Skywalker Sound, a Cantina, and a Yoda interactive similar to Turtle Talk and maybe a d ticket dark ride.

It definitely predates anything Pandora as far as what our insiders knew.

Cmdr_Crimson

Doing something with the WoL pavilion would not interfere with the daily park guest visit at all.
Waiting for a new movie to go into The Land pavilion theatre.
Reboot Figment and the imagination pavilion plus put in a new 3D movie (perhaps Figment)
Yeah but were now getting at 2 years since the D23 Expo announcement and nothing about the FW Layout has emerged not even a refurb wall besides at UoE...Let's hope that will hear anything else new at this years Expo and a RE-Designed layout....

trainplane3

Yeah but were now getting at 2 years since the D23 Expo announcement and nothing about the FW Layout has emerged not even a refurb wall besides at UoE...Let's hope that will hear anything else new at this years Expo and a RE-Designed layout....
I got you covered:

I got a super sneaky peek at the future of Epcot. I had to watermark it so bloggers won't steal my insider info.

DoubleJ21

Bullocks. If the issue was resources then Disney wouldn’t have reduced the ranks of Walt Disney Imagineering after the park opened.
And yet, WDI is bigger right now than its been in a long, long time. Certainly bigger than pre-Shanghai cuts. The only time its been this big is when DCA and TDS were being built.

Have you seen the TEA credits for Shanghai? The WDI credits are pages and pages and pages long. Shanghai clearly had an impact on development. Even if resources weren't an issue, risk was. A $5.5 billion development clearly entails quite a lot of risk, and as a business you don't want to overstretch in case things go wrong.

Last edited:

AKL2003

Doing something with the WoL pavilion would not interfere with the daily park guest visit at all.
Waiting for a new movie to go into The Land pavilion theatre.
Reboot Figment and the imagination pavilion plus put in a new 3D movie (perhaps Figment)
Can you imagine, if done right, how much just doing those few things would improve future world?? Bringing something back to WoL and updating the Imagination pavillion are my top two wishes for WDW...

lazyboy97o

And yet, WDI is bigger right now than its been in a long, long time. Certainly bigger than pre-Shanghai cuts. The only time its been this big is when DCA and TDS were being built.

Have you seen the TEA credits for Shanghai? The WDI credits are pages and pages and pages long. Shanghai clearly had an impact on development. Even if resources weren't an issue, risk was. A $5.5 billion development clearly entails quite a lot of risk, and as a business you don't want to overstretch in case things go wrong.
Disney wasn’t paying even half of that cost.

Top Bottom