• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Very true! But again, these "ideas" of his seem to be, "knock this over, then put a bandaid over here." Someone needs to show him in the dictionary what "overhaul" means.
Bandaids are what they've been doing for a long time with Epcot. There never seems to be a real plan. Bandaids from 1994-2007 are why Future World is such a mess. And it seems to be more of the same.

I just want the entrance more open and the tombstones gone. Can't they get moving on that one already ;) lol

Advertisement
Bandaids are what they've been doing for a long time with Epcot. There never seems to be a real plan. Bandaids from 1994-2007 2020 are why Future World is such a mess. And it seems to be more of the same.

I just want the entrance more open and the tombstones gone. Can't they get moving on that one already ;) lol
FTFY ;)

I'm also counting down the days until the tombstones can be removed from the entrance plaza. Such a downgrade from what was there. The original prisms and lighting on the water feature were just spectacular.

A year and a half after an official announcement and still no Future World spine movement......goodness....
It was a blue-sky announcement.

More of a "hey, we're going to do this" thing. No concrete plans were in place at the time, and don't appear to have any in place right now either.

Insiders have said the current plan/goal is around 20/21/22, but it's varying widlly and getting further away each year as they haven't formalized any plans.

FTFY ;)

I'm also counting down the days until the tombstones can be removed from the entrance plaza. Such a downgrade from what was there. The original prisms and lighting on the water feature were just spectacular.
FTFY ;)

I hate them so much. My roommate on my CP worked at the front end of EPCOT and had to sell them. The phrase " Leave a Legacy makes me want to put my fist through a wall" may have been uttered.

Last edited by a moderator:
So like Comunnicore/Innoventions?

Plus a ride is more attractive to people and it keeps a flow versus having a bunch of people packing into a small space trying to play with each piece of tech.
Edit: Flashbacks of waiting to play a Dreamcast. And then being pulled away after after a minute because my parents were in a rush. Still kinda want one so obviously that bit of marketing worked.
Honestly, if they maybe used some space for a dark ride and some for exhibition space, and added the peoplemover that was planned, it could make communicore/innoventions really interesting.

RSoxNo1

"Disney CEO Bob Iger Says Spending Billions on Theme Parks Is a No-Brainer"
I think Imagination will get there. It may not be what we "originalists" think is right, but I am sure just about all ignored rides will be updated in the next 5 years.
Took him 9 years to make that decision though. Evidently he didn't have a brain for the first 9 years of his reign.

jt04

Took him 9 years to make that decision though. Evidently he didn't have a brain for the first 9 years of his reign.
To be fair, previously they were spending billions on aquisitions, the film division, Imagineering design work and necessary infrastructure especially at WDW. Horse before the cart. And they still might not have enough hotel rooms.

I look at additions to the parks as icing on the cake 🎂

You probably shouldn't add the icing to the cake batter before baking the cake. I made a new metaphor.

RSoxNo1

To be fair, previously they were spending billions on aquisitions, the film division, Imagineering design work and necessary infrastructure especially at WDW. Horse before the cart. And they still might not have enough hotel rooms.

I look at additions to the parks as icing on the cake 🎂

You probably shouldn't add the icing to the cake batter before baking the cake. I made a new metaphor.
Iger and Rasulo erroneously thought they were operating in a mature market and Potter partially convinced them otherwise. The infrastructure project was fueling that mature market mentality in hopes of better optimizing park operations and getting more money out of each guest. These were missteps and need to be recognized as such.

By no means would I have made the best decisions for the parks, but I was against Next Gen from the outset and if you gave me a $2 billion headstart (Next Gen cost) I could have made better park decisions than Iger and Co made over the last 13 years. This wouldn't have been Monday morning quarterbacking either, Next Gen was largely condemned from the start.

jt04

Iger and Rasulo erroneously thought they were operating in a mature market and Potter partially convinced them otherwise. The infrastructure project was fueling that mature market mentality in hopes of better optimizing park operations and getting more money out of each guest. These were missteps and need to be recognized as such.

By no means would I have made the best decisions for the parks, but I was against Next Gen from the outset and if you gave me a $2 billion headstart (Next Gen cost) I could have made better park decisions than Iger and Co made over the last 13 years. This wouldn't have been Monday morning quarterbacking either, Next Gen was largely condemned from the start.
I would agree but not sure Iger was given a choice on NextGen. And they do sell a ton of Magicbands.

Whatever research firm or firms were selling that the Orlando tourism and leisure market had matured probably doesn't get much work from the mouse at least.

Iger isn't perfect but he is well respected by the business industry and investment community.

do we know this or could it be as simple as domestic spending wasnt happening until Shanghai was built. i mean since then domestic capital investment has sky rocketed. its easy for us to take shots from the cheap seats. i ve been a football coach for a long time and the old saying is as an assistant you make suggestions as head coach you make decisions.
its easy to have the answers when you re not in the game

this is not a shot at you but at all message boards

Top Bottom