Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Goofyernmost

Hmmmm....

Pirates didn't (the stores were off to the side)
Space Mountain didn't
Toad didn't
World of Motion didn't (TransCenter had no Merchendise)
Imagination didn't (there was a small area of racked plush and shirts to one side of the atrium)
The Living Seas never did
Tower of Terror didn't
Endor Vendors was far smaller and had a defined exit pathway through the middle

Am I forgetting any?
PotC was still there just off to the side, quite visible from the exit. Same thing to me.
Toad.. I'll take your word for. My only object at Toad was to leave as quickly as possible and find the next roadside carnival ride.
World of Motion... What did you call the TransCenter if not a store. They didn't put all those cars in there just so you would have something to look at your reflection in. They wanted to sell you a car. Maybe not that day, but, as fodder for the future.
Imagination.... small/large it was still there wasn't it?
Living Seas... I remember one being there just before the Hydolators. I remember buying a plush dolphin for my nephew there.
Tower of Terror... didn't even exist in 1983.
Endor Vendors... Honestly do not even know what that was. Somewhere near Star Tours? Perhaps Space Mountain? Don't know so I can't comment, but what you described sounds a lot like a gift shop to me. In this case size doesn't matter. ;)

Goofyernmost

Neither did Living Seas :p

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. But I will say in several of the above there's a difference between having to purposely visit the store area as opposed to having to fight your way through racks of generic merchandise blocking the exit path.
Yes, there is a difference but not to the first time visitor. We as a group of tourist used to joke about how everything ended in a gift shop of sorts. Of course, it wasn't everything, but, it was the vast majority. Just because you weren't forced through the middle doesn't mean that there wasn't the opportunity to buy things. I don't remember any for HM and didn't ride Space Mtn. on the first visit, so I cannot comment on SM at that time. Most of the rest did have something even if it was a cart just outside the exit. I apologize about living seas. I had forgotten about it not being there in 1983, but, not to long after and I believe it was built with a gift shop. Not one that was at gunpoint forced to go through, but, right there at the end. My point was... it was not a new idea. It was when Disney was developing the "get um while they are willing to spend" system that has carried through to today. I just don't think that after that in places like Disney/MGM or DAK, did have as many, in your face type of shops, but, none were very far away at anytime. I don't think Mission to Mars had one either, nor "wings" nor 20K. but, the ratio was probably pretty close to the same. The ones that did exist, where perhaps more unique types of things that related to the attraction, but, to some extent it still does that along with the generic merchandise.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, there is a difference but not to the first time visitor. We as a group of tourist used to joke about how everything ended in a gift shop of sorts. Of course, it wasn't everything, but, it was the vast majority. Just because you weren't forced through the middle doesn't mean that there wasn't the opportunity to buy things. I don't remember any for HM and didn't ride Space Mtn. on the first visit, so I cannot comment on SM at that time. Most of the rest did have something even if it was a cart just outside the exit. I apologize about living seas. I had forgotten about it not being there in 1983, but, not to long after and I believe it was built with a gift shop. Not one that was at gunpoint forced to go through, but, right there at the end. My point was... it was not a new idea. It was when Disney was developing the "get um while they are willing to spend" system that has carried through to today. I just don't think that after that in places like Disney/MGM or DAK, did have as many, in your face type of shops, but, none were very far away at anytime. I don't think Mission to Mars had one either, nor "wings" nor 20K. but, the ratio was probably pretty close to the same. The ones that did exist, where perhaps more unique types of things that related to the attraction, but, to some extent it still does that along with the generic merchandise.
It used to be a choice to walk through. Today it is often forced.

And yes, it's become a joke (see The Simpsons ride dialogue)

Though I will give a nod to current Norway.

Cesar R M

I was sad I didn't run into a Bon Iger last week when we were down there last week. I wanted to shake his hand, tell him to extend his contract and make EPCOT the MK 2.0 that it should be.
angrymickey.png

Thebolt

And if someone likes Frozen or Nemo, so what? They are allowed to. It doesn't mean the person thinks the ride is in the right place or that it didn't deserve an area of it's own or that they can do better. It isn't always "hate this because it's in the wrong spot"

I always think if would be great if the Seas building was dug out (in one piece) and airlifted over to Dinoland USA and plonked down over there... it would be a great attribute to Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

Kman101

I always think if sould be great if Thee Seas building was dug out (in one piece) and airlifted over to Dinoland USA and plonked down over there... it would be a great attribute to Animal Kingdom.

Nemo would be a better fit for Animal Kingdom. I always thought the Theater in the Wild should have been more like the Mermaid Lagoon building in Tokyo DisneySea, where it houses a show, some flat rides (teacups-esque, etc) .... but then I sort of want AK to stay "pure" .... I always thought they could have put Crush's Coaster there (though I know capacity is horrendous) as well.

HauntedMansionFLA

Nemo would be a better fit for Animal Kingdom. I always thought the Theater in the Wild should have been more like the Mermaid Lagoon building in Tokyo DisneySea, where it houses a show, some flat rides (teacups-esque, etc) .... but then I sort of want AK to stay "pure" .... I always thought they could have put Crush's Coaster there (though I know capacity is horrendous) as well.
I always wished that DAK would focus on the conservation of the oceans and seas instead of what is at EPCOT. Really enjoyed the Nemo ride.

Kman101

No ones said that. See Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Peter Pans Flight....

It's when it stifles original content and forces themes where they don't belong it becomes a problem.

And I understand that, but I wouldn't say it if I didn't see it as an overall problem on this board at times, and like other times, I probably shouldn't have said anything, lol. Maybe not for that specific post but I wanted to stop it before it started.

Goofyernmost

No ones said that. See Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Peter Pans Flight....

It's when it stifles original content and forces themes where they don't belong it becomes a problem.
Yes, Marni, but, what I have contended for years now, is that WE don't determine what content currently belongs in any park. Disney owns the place and they have determined that the content is going to change. The only control we have is to not support it financially. We don't have a vote in the planning. We can go on forever being all bent out of shape because Epcot, or any other park for that matter, isn't what we would like it to be. All we accomplish is depriving ourselves of a possible pleasant experience if we were to remain so tunnel visioned on what was instead of what is.

EPCOT Ctr. is no more. In order for the place to have any consistence or focus they have to define what they want it to be. Like I said, we don't have a vote other then with our wallet, but, it seems that there are more people now that are enjoying what is there, then those of us that are lamenting what isn't there anymore. At some point, in the words of Elsa, we all have to let it go.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, Marni, but, what I have contended for years now, is that WE don't determine what content currently belongs in any park. Disney owns the place and they have determined that the content is going to change. The only control we have is to not support it financially. We don't have a vote in the planning. We can go on forever being all bent out of shape because Epcot, or any other park for that matter, isn't what we would like it to be. All we accomplish is depriving ourselves of a possible pleasant experience if we were to remain so tunnel visioned on what was instead of what is.

EPCOT Ctr. is no more. In order for the place to have any consistence or focus they have to define what they want it to be. Like I said, we don't have a vote other then with our wallet, but, it seems that there are more people now that are enjoying what is there, then those of us that are lamenting what isn't there anymore. At some point, in the words of Elsa, we all have to let it go.
Hasn't all that been said already Goofy? You don't have to tell me.

Or rather hasn't it always been like that?

I think I'm the one who said a better Epcot could be coming and will be mainly IP driven.

Oh, as an aside, Epcot has never regained the attendance levels it had when the word "Center" was on the end of it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom