Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looking forward to it Marni. If anyone has any idea how to save it... it would be you. :)
Thank you. It's something I've found an interesting problem, with expectation and technology advancements vs what's available already in park - and what could be - for comparatively not a lot of capital. It's more of a thesis I guess that's floating around my head. Not so much armchair imagineering more what's practically possible given social, budget and timescale implications. And corporate desires.

Last edited:

Luxe

Doesn't Xbox provide that kind of technology already. It could be programmed to focus on head movements specifically. That could be the key part to getting rid of a headset and accelerometer.
It has to be accurate enough to directly reflect your head movements instantly. Also I think the screen being so close to your eyes plays a big part in immersion when it comes to VR. I've only tried the new VR tech a few times so I'm by no means an expert.

RSoxNo1

Not at all. This park has so much potential with so little relative outlay.

One day when I've more time I'll go into more detail.

I'm talking of a modern equivalent of Epcot 1982. But one today's audience would understand.
I think the pitch should be Discovery. I think the Society of Explorers and Adventurers is a ridiculously strong theme that could anchor what is now Future World in so many different ways. You could see great modern minds rolled into this, but also those explorers highlighted in Fortress Explorations at DisneySea. The front half of Epcot should be about past, present and future of Discovery in the way that Spaceship Earth handles the past, present and future of Communication.

I could see Elon Musk be an "explorer" involved with Space exploration alongside Neil degrasse Tyson. I could see the Dreamfinder being an explorer into our Imagination. I could even see James Cameron be an explorer into the sea over in the Seas pavilion.

@lentesta mentioned this on one of their recent shows. These are concepts that could tie the entire land and park together that could be conceptualized over a long weekend.

If Chapek announced tomorrow that Epcot would be overhauled with a Society of Explorers and Adventurers focus in the front half and culturally relevant IP and non-IP based additions (Ratatouille, Coco) to World Showcase, I would be 100% on board.

Rodan75

I think the pitch should be Discovery. I think the Society of Explorers and Adventurers is a ridiculously strong theme that could anchor what is now Future World in so many different ways. You could see great modern minds rolled into this, but also those explorers highlighted in Fortress Explorations at DisneySea. The front half of Epcot should be about past, present and future of Discovery in the way that Spaceship Earth handles the past, present and future of Communication.

I could see Elon Musk be an "explorer" involved with Space exploration alongside Neil degrasse Tyson. I could see the Dreamfinder being an explorer into our Imagination. I could even see James Cameron be an explorer into the sea over in the Seas pavilion.

@lentesta mentioned this on one of their recent shows. These are concepts that could tie the entire land and park together that could be conceptualized over a long weekend.

If Chapek announced tomorrow that Epcot would be overhauled with a Society of Explorers and Adventurers focus in the front half and culturally relevant IP and non-IP based additions (Ratatouille, Coco) to World Showcase, I would be 100% on board.

I'm sure that Chapek's drop of the SEA reference was likely specifically to get fans thinking along these exact lines. It would be a connective thread to tie FW and World Showcase together and you can deem all sorts of relevant and unfortunately irrelevant IPs (Anna could be considered an Explorer if you try hard enough) to the concept and still have the EPCOT faithful mostly on board.

That reference had to be a test balloon...

Haymarket2008

So we all know the IP invasion is on its' way. People in the know: apart from an Innoventions/CommuniCore overhaul, what is the first big piece we should expect? I'm talking attraction wise. Will Universe of Energy be the first to go?

Luxe

So we all know the IP invasion is on its' way. People in the know: apart from an Innoventions/CommuniCore overhaul, what is the first big piece we should expect? I'm talking attraction wise. Will Universe of Energy be the first to go?
I'm just speculating but that would make the most sense, since it's barely a skeleton at this point.

lentesta

Premium Member

I'm 99% sure we could do it ourselves in a long weekend. This isn't that hard. And they have the money to do it. If it doesn't get done, it's a management choice, not any other constraint.

RSoxNo1

At some level, I agree with much of what you say, but the huge cost of all this (literally a billion dollars) make no business sense. A hugely popular Space Mountain being moved is ridiculously cost prohibitive. No business person would agree to that because the upside is minimal. For the same money, a brand new additional coaster could be built. Personally, for the same money, I'd rather see Space Mountain stay and have a whole new additional coaster put some place.

I like Neil Degrasse Tyson, but he will likely soon become passé, just like Carl Sagan with his blazer and turtleneck became passé and jokeworthy a few years and a billion wisecracks after Cosmos first came out. He recently voiced a pig on Gravity Falls, which was wonderful. But I fear his serious scientific image may soon be taking a hit--more Bill Nye the Science Guy and less Stephen Hawking.
First off, this discussion prompted me to write an article that I'll be fine tuning, so thankyou to anyone that fueled that.

The Society of Explorers and Adventurers includes real and created explorers. I could see this including contemporary people like Tyson, Nye, Sagan, Hawking, Musk and others. Or an alternative could be creating fake characters inspired by these real life people. That may present a longer lasting approach, but a shift to "discovery" instead of the future allows for past, present and future to represented.

RSoxNo1

Those hankering to make Epcot pure again need to remember that the evil corporation that is moving Epcot in a new direction is the same evil corporation which created Epcot The Theme Park to begin with.
Next you're going to be telling me that Dave Dombrowski built the Red Sox farm system...

flynnibus

Premium Member

Just look at the natgeo series on mars right now showing how you can blend documentary content with futurism dramatizing how the future could actually play out.

Neat show

jt04

First off, this discussion prompted me to write an article that I'll be fine tuning, so thankyou to anyone that fueled that.

The Society of Explorers and Adventurers includes real and created explorers. I could see this including contemporary people like Tyson, Nye, Sagan, Hawking, Musk and others. Or an alternative could be creating fake characters inspired by these real life people. That may present a longer lasting approach, but a shift to "discovery" instead of the future allows for past, present and future to represented.

No pop culture celebs please. Been there and proven to be a bad strategy.

And are we sure his reference to "Sea" wasn't a comparison to Tokyo Disney Sea? Something on a grander scale for what is now Future World?

homerdance

So, all i really want to know, is when are they going to start closing things as part of the refresh? Is it going to be like DTD and stuff sits empty for several years, or more like HS where it only sits empty a year or two?

bcoachable

Marni- I hope you have some free time soon!! With all you have seen (recorded for history), hear and know, I would love to hear your thoughts....

HauntedMansionFLA

We were at EPCOT the past few days.
Enjoyed - Soarin', Nemo, Frozen, Mission Space, Gran Fiesta ( this was the only time we saw people get angry about cutting in line and it was a walk on ride)
Energy, Figment, Pixar movies were outdated
World showcase seem like a party scene. Poorly light at night. Focused on drinking.
The park is huge and has potential. I can see it be focused on IP to draw the crowds in and properly use the FastPass Plus system. And properly build meet and greet areas to use the FP plus system.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Understood, but rebuilding the track and a few other areas will still be far less expensive than rebuilding the whole thing and/or moving the whole thing. Demolition and disposal alone would probably cost over $10 million. Tearing out old track and putting in new track wouldn't be cheap, but it would be minor in comparison to a start from scratch rebuild. Plus, SM is Tomorrowland's headliner, the thrill on the east side of the park. Taking it away would be very disappointing to many guests who would wonder why it's being moved or scrapped or whatever. Guest-expectation-wise, this would be very bad. Theme-wise, it also ties in beautifully as a counterpoint to the castle, and as a bridge of sorts to the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower.

Overall, dumping or moving a huge attraction makes zero business sense when one considers the millions of dollars involved compared to the modest upside, if any.

Lots of things at Disney recently have made zero LONG TERM business sense, And I agree about the thematic components of SM, Yet it seems that Tomorrowland is an endangered species at WDW. That being Considering that SM is a steel structure and some of that structure which supports the track likely also supports the exterior structure it may indeed be cheaper to demo and rebuild from scratch at MK or EPCOT mainly because instead of needing to build temporary supports you could just cut the structure up with shears and rebuild in place much more easily and quickly.

britain

If they did want to avoid the problems that come from having real life / celebrity scientists & entrepreneurs (they date the show, they discourage competitors from participating) they could do something like a Dreamfinder-ish member of the SEA for each pavilion.

Where's that photo from Mystic Manor of a whole bunch of them including one Danny Elfman-esque character? They needn't all be 1900's steampunky. EPCOT could be where the current generation of SEA members share their work.

If only "Tomorrowland" had been good, we'd be talking Optimists now.

Bocabear

S.E.A just doesn't belong in EPCOT... It is the wrong note. Wrong theme, wrong feel. The only steampunk character in EPCOT should be Dreamfinder...and beyond that we don't need a fictional character to introduce us to The Land or Energy or Space...or The Seas for that matter... How long before Test Track needs Tow Mater as it's host? A new generation of SEA would seem even more truncated on the back story and appeal to even less people.

OvertheHorizon

What needs to happen is a clear definition of Future World, World Showcase, and Epcot as a whole. As part of this, they can also define Tomorrowland.

Personally, I would like to see Future World gravitate towards the realistic, grounded in science, non-IP vision of the Future and/or Discovery. I'd like to see Tomorrowland be the futuristic representation as explained in Disney movies. This would allow for things like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Tron and even Wreck it Ralph.

I've also suggested moving not just a re-done Carousel of Progress to Future World but also a re-done Space Mountain. Aside from the exterior building, Space Mountain needs a full tear down and while it's not tied to a movie, it is a pseudo franchise in itself and could be Epcot's first true coaster.

My re-done Future World would have the two Tomorrowland transplants as well as "it's a small world" bridging the gap between Future World and World Showcase as a perfect transition between the two areas.

For pseudo original ideas, I'd like to see Neil degrasse Tyson represented somehow in Epcot, perhaps in a Cosmos based attraction or for a more out there idea - a replacement for Dreamfinder. Sticking with the former (Cosmos based attraction), add in a redone Imagination, the 3 Magic Kingdom transplants and you've got a Future World that should intrigue both the fanbois as well as the casual visitor.

Since I'm throwing out hairbrain ideas, why not continue with Horizons Century 3 and evicting Nemo from The Seas (or potentially closing the Seas entirely). The last thing that I'd really like to see would be a PeopleMover in Future World.

As for World Showcase, I've been a vocal critic of Frozen, but I think characters in World Showcase are unavoidable. So if they can help do it in a way where the characters are addressing culturally relevant things like Ratatouille or Coco I can get on board a bit more than Frozen Ever After.

Sorry for the brain dump.
Nicely said. As I've gotten older, I'd appreciate a PeopleMover of sorts, or moving sidewalks, etc. to better navigate Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom