Boardwalk Villa Studio--Did I make a mistake?

Goodtimes

Hi everyone, four adults going to Disneyworld with no kids and just booked two studios at Boardwalk Villas. I have always wanted to stay in the Epcot resort area and originally wanted the Beachclub Villas but they only had one studio available for my dates.

After looking at some photos and reviews online, I fear I made a mistake. The rooms look dated. My first reaction looking at the photos was...ugh.

Have any of the Boardwalk Villa rooms been refurbished? I'm not too excited about staying in what looks like an Old Holiday Inn room for the W style prices we are paying. I realize I'm paying for location, but can anyone who has stayed in the past year or so chime in? Are beach club villas any better?

Thanks!

brent2124

Hi everyone, four adults going to Disneyworld with no kids and just booked two studios at Boardwalk Villas. I have always wanted to stay in the Epcot resort area and originally wanted the Beachclub Villas but they only had one studio available for my dates.

After looking at some photos and reviews online, I fear I made a mistake. The rooms look dated. My first reaction looking at the photos was...ugh.

Have any of the Boardwalk Villa rooms been refurbished? I'm not too excited about staying in what looks like an Old Holiday Inn room for the W style prices we are paying. I realize I'm paying for location, but can anyone who has stayed in the past year or so chime in? Are beach club villas any better?

Thanks!
I have never stayed there but have a sugeestion. It maybe possible to get a 2 bedroom at the Beach Club for slightly more money. I checked mousesavers and unless your going over the Christmas holiday season you will only be spending $60 a night more max, and if your traveling during a value season it will actually save you money. Heres the link to the rate chart. Good Luck!

http://www.mousesavers.com/dvcresorts2009.html#boardwalkvillas

Upvote 0

yankspy

I have never stayed there but have a sugeestion. It maybe possible to get a 2 bedroom at the Beach Club for slightly more money. I checked mousesavers and unless your going over the Christmas holiday season you will only be spending $60 a night more max, and if your traveling during a value season it will actually save you money. Heres the link to the rate chart. Good Luck!

http://www.mousesavers.com/dvcresorts2009.html#boardwalkvillas
I'll second that. I have stayed in the two bedroom villas at the Beach Club and Boardwalk. Both are very nice.

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

We've stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at both the boardwalk and the beach club. My hubby likes beach club better, but I really liked the boardwalk. I don't think the rooms were that dated. I thought the rooms at the beach club showed just as much wear.

I don't think you can go wrong with the epcot location! Have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

tirian

No, you didn't make a mistake. The Boardwalk is one of my favorite hotels, and what looks old and dated online actually looks old-fashioned and quaint in person; the colors are supposed to look that way.

That said, I don't want to discredit the pictures you saw. Be aware that Disney doesn't maintain its hotel rooms as well as most three and four-star hotel chains. For example, carpet is often worn down, and towels are sometimes obviously old. I recently stayed at the Grand Floridian, and my bed was missing one of its posts. As far as I'm concerned, Old Key West doesn't exist, because the room's windows were covered with mold every time I stayed there. I don't remember the last time I experienced exemplary Mousekeeping—and I stay at Disney hotels VERY frequently (about once a month). It's possible that the pictures you saw online were of a particularly bad room at the Boardwalk.

If you do have a dirty room, just call the front desk and ask to be moved.

I think you'll enjoy the Boardwalk; the nightlife right outside your door is like a small version of PI in its heyday.

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

Disney made an announcement recently that all the Boardwalk Villas are being refurbished. I can't remember the completion dates. I just remember my May '10 trip occurs after all the villas are completed. I think the process is done much earlier than that, maybe somebody else knows for sure?

I enjoy Beach Club, but far prefer the center of the action feel of Boardwalk. For the most part, the balcony views are superior. Although if an awesome pool area is what you want, you can't beat BC or YC.
I'll never again stay at BCV, not because I don't like it, but because BWV is so close and a much better option IMO.

Upvote 0

disneyny

We stayed in a one-bedroom villa at Boardwalk lin February of last year and LOVED it. We did not think the rooms were dated at all- they were very pretty. I would not say it was fiurst class all the way but extremely nice and you are paying to be at "Disney" not really because of just the room. I think you will really like it- it is hard not to be in the spirit there and it is not your typical Holiday Inn at all. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0
Visit the www.disneyvacationclub.com website and click around until you get to the description of the Boardwalk villas. Take the 360 degree tour of a studio to see if you'll like the decor and layout.

We book two studios each summer at BWV and have been near the elevators, near HS, high up, and ground floor. We have stayed at 4 other resorts and they are all wonderful, but BWV is "home".

Upvote 0

mickey7879

We loved BWV when we've stayed there. But I have to agree that it may be worth your while to check into the cost of a 2 bedroom. Not only can you still get two bedrooms, but you'll also have a living room, full kitchen and so much more space to move around in. The rooms didn't look outdated to us either, just themed. But like other have said, if you have a problem with your room, just call down immediately and ask to be moved. They try to work with you and make your stay enjoyable.

Upvote 0

lbrad

We loved BWV when we've stayed there. But I have to agree that it may be worth your while to check into the cost of a 2 bedroom. Not only can you still get two bedrooms, but you'll also have a living room, full kitchen and so much more space to move around in. The rooms didn't look outdated to us either, just themed. But like other have said, if you have a problem with your room, just call down immediately and ask to be moved. They try to work with you and make your stay enjoyable.

Love the ultrasound pic:)

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I last stayed in BWV about 2 years ago - in a studio

I was in a 1BR in BCV about a year ago

Both rooms had the same level of wear.

I prefer the Boardwalk. I actualy like the pool at the Boardwalk better - I can actualy swim in it, as opposed to sort of float around.

I also like to pool bar better at BW

-dave

Upvote 0

dvcnut39

We've stayed in both the BWV and BCV. At both locations we stayed in studios. Although I enjoyed BCV more (I loved the pool). I would have no problem staying at BWV again. Both are great resorts.

Upvote 0

willsdad01

Thanks!
My family and I stayed there last October at the recommendation of a DVC member. We bought points from him as Boardwalk is his home resort. We were concerned too after seeing reviews on other sites. Our room was a studio on the 5th floor facing the pool. It was nice. Our previous stay was at the Poly in '07. The Poly room was not as clean in comparison. We enjoyed the Boardwalk and it's atmosphere. Also, the convenience of DHS & EP was great. The only drawback for us was the amount of counter service restaurants. The pizza window is good, but only once or twice. With exception to ESPN Zone, we didn't eat on the boardwalk. We were just visiting this past June and they were remodeling the exterior (roof, canopies), but not sure about the rooms. The room was clean and spacious. It's nothing fancy, but it served the purpose of our family crashing after a busy day in the parks. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

I think it all depends on what your real expectations are. My family of 4 stayed at the BWV this time last yr. We loved the resort. The them based on old time Atalntic City in the 1940's. The only problem we had wsa the walk to our room when we arrived, but other wise it was fun. We actually tried to get a room there this yr for Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

prspeppers

Fear not my friend...The Boardwalk is a fine resort. I've stayed in the studios a few times and enjoyed myself. While the decor may not be as flashy as some of the other DVC resorts, I can tell you that the studios are super clean and everything inside of them was in perfect working order. I think your going to have a great time...

Having the option to walk directly into Epcot for a stroll around the World Showcase should far outweight any hesitations you have about the room. I think you made a great decision.​

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

My husband and I stayed at the BWV's in May for our first anniversary and fell in love with the resort. The room being dated never even crossed my mind, we thought it was beautiful. We had booked a studio & got a surprise upgrade to a one bedroom though, so maybe it was different. I can say that the room we had was perfect. The pool was quiet & relaxing, and themed well. The location to Epcot & DHS couldn't be better. Also you can walk to Fantasia Minigolf.

The thing I liked is that there weren't tons of kids. (I'm not anti-kid, especially in Disney. I love kids. It's just it was our anniversary and it was nice to have it quiet at our resort). When we walked over to the Beach Club to look around we noticed it was louder & had a lot more kids running around, probably because of the spectacular pool.

It was just my observations & my preference. I don't think you can go wrong at either resort - but don't think you made a mistake with the Boardwalk! :)

Upvote 0

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I also love the BWV and it the only place I stay at WDW. I also would recommend looking at paying the extra for a two Bedroom. Both couples would still have private enterences, but the living room would provide excellent space for planning your next visit to the parks. I will be staying at the BWV in December and have booked a 3 bedroom villa for the first time. Can not wait to see it.

Upvote 0

scarpiapiano

We just got back from staying at the Boardwalk Villas June 21st - 25th. We combined our vacation with a 7 day stay at the Polynesian June 14th - 21st.

We prefered the Boardwalk hands down!! There are several reasons that BWV was better for us.

1. We loved having a full fridge and freezer in the room. When you're touring in June you have to take water, lots of water into the parks. It was a pain working with a small fridge at the Poly and walking every morning down to an ice machine.

2. We loved having a Washer/Dryer in the room. I tried once to do laundry at the Poly but when I finally found the laundermat the change machines were empty.

3. We loved having the extra room - putting the kids on the hide-a-bed and having our own bedroom. My wife and girls also loved the whirlpool tub.

Now I admit that reasons 1-3 are because we preferred a vacation villa over a resort room however the following reasons are particular to Boardwalk.

4. We thought Boardwalk was beautiful - much brighter and whimsical than the Poly.

5. We really loved our room. It wasn't a refurb but I thought it was great. Like you I wasn't impressed with the photos but I really did love the villa.

6. The hallways were covered and air conditioned. That's a huge advantage in June.

7. Believe it or not, we liked the transportation much better at Boardwalk than Poly. This may strike some readers as odd so let me explain why. To begin with, Epcot is my personal favorite park. It was great to be able to go to the International Gate rather than the main entrance of Epcot in the morning. There where no crowds to get through. No long walks to the entrance. No chaos. Just a peaceful boatride and short walk. After Illuminations, there's no comparison from being able to exit at the Gateway rather than dealing with everyone else exiting through Future World.

I rent an ECV when I'm at the parks so the morning walk from the International Gateway to Future World didn't bother me (I didn't have to walk:lol:). I realize I might be a-typical in this assestment but I also thought that staying in a monorail resort would be really convienent. It's still a long walk to the entrance of either MK or Epcot and then a wait to rent the ECV. I also thought the boat station at DHS was nicer and closer than the bus stations. Bus transportation to MK and AK was very good. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus.

8. My daughters liked the pool better at BWV and there was a hot tub at the Boardwalk. No such luck at the Poly.

I can't compare BWV to BCV but I can compare BWV to a top ranked (and expensive) Disney Resort. For my family, BWV won hands down. Don't get me wrong - we also like the Poly but we're really glad that we ended our vacation at the Boardwalk. We rented points from a DVC member and we were able to get a good deal that way. Boardwalk has prefered and standard views as far as the points required. That's one advantage Boardwalk has over Beach Club. We were able to spend less points at Boardwalk.

My family came away saying that for our family, we found the perfect Disney Resort. We will never go anywhere else.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom