Bloggers and Podcasters need to be controlled

Bairstow

Disney should be very concerned about the unlicensed, positive materials, especially those that try to blur their unofficial nature. The reason Disney gained a reputation for being so hard on people using their intellectual property (such as the infamous daycare incident) is because protecting your intellectual property is part of the law, especially from uses which could be misconstrued as official. Disney allowing, and condoning through omission, the use of their intellectual property could be used as evidence that Disney is not protecting its intellectual property and thus should forfeit its rights to said property.

That's a very weak defense for a potential copyright defendant, especially after 1989 when the Berne Convention was implemented in the US. Also, the bad press Disney earned through the day care incident has caused them to reevaulate their strategy in this regard.

One thing to consider is that we're comparing two very different breeds of copyright offenders here. Bloggers and podcasters, being ostensibly journalists, have a number of fair use defenses to present if Disney were to allege copyright violations that someone wishing to purchase a for-profit coffee table biography would not. That's not to mention the considerable cost and difficulty Disney, or anyone, has of enforcing complete copyright control on the internet. The laws are there, but the scope of policing they would have to do isn't worth the effort, particularly when bloggers and podcasters, even the critical ones, are part of a fan community Disney really would rather not confront as adversaries.

the.dreamfinder

One thing to consider is that we're comparing two very different breeds of copyright offenders here. Bloggers and podcasters, being ostensibly journalists, have a number of fair use defenses to present if Disney were to allege copyright violations that someone wishing to purchase a for-profit coffee table biography would not. That's not to mention the considerable cost and difficulty Disney, or anyone, has of enforcing complete copyright control on the internet. The laws are there, but the scope of policing they would have to do isn't worth the effort, particularly when bloggers and podcasters, even the critical ones, are part of a fan community Disney really would rather not confront as adversaries.
We're talking about the folks who SELL stuff. I'm well aware that broadcasts are covered under fair use laws and I'm not challenging that. I'm challenging stuff like this...
hp-slide-lou.jpg

and this..
JeffLangeDVD_World_Showcase.jpg

while this...
5177MqTsxJL._SS500_.jpg

gets shafted.

Tigger1988

People have explained why the book is getting "shafted". Amid has no desire to let Disney change the book's details, therefore Disney has no desire to give Amid rights to their copyrighted material. You're comparing apples to oranges.

the.dreamfinder

I know why the book's getting shafted, that's not why I brought it up.
What I find funny is they used to have a strict hands off policy in regards to authors using Disney owned images. As long as the individual has a high level of credibility in their field, Disney would allow them to peruse the archive for the images they needed (In Amid's case, stuff that Ward either drew or supervised) and to license those images without approving the content of the book. The background check and approval at the beginning was all Disney chose to control and it worked pretty well for years.

But today any Lou, Dick, or Stanely can use Disney IP and sell it. That's the issue @Tigger1988, that someone who has a great deal of credibility, enough credibility to be allowed to write Pixar's 25 year retrospective artbook and respected by many important folks in Emeryville, the Hat Building, and other animation studios can't license Disney owned images to put in the book that they will sell with the mouse getting a chunk of every sale. Why does an individual who has no established credibility or skill have the ability to sell Disney IP as if it were his own (read tours, live shows in the park, DVDs for sale) get off? If I recall correctly, spirit posted in this thread a bit of info he gleamed from a higher up a Disney that said the following

They want to know who these people are.

They let random folks who sell Disney IP without renumeration get away with it while folks with a great deal of credibility, Amidi and Chronicle(You know... the folks that publish ALL OF DISNEY AND PIXAR'S ARTBOOKS) get left on the sidelines.

PhotoDave219

Not really, at least not for everyone.
Sour grapes requires that I either want or need the benefits that those bloggers or podcasters are receiving.
I don't.

I just don't want to see obsessive fans, under the guise of being some sort of pseudo "media", being encouraged (and by "encouraged" I mean "paid" in the form of gifts, trips or other benefits) to promote the company's agenda.
I want it to stop. For all of them.

The bloggers I know do not get free trips.

Lee

Adventurer
The bloggers I know do not get free trips.
Surprising. Then you don't know the ones I assumed you did.

Cruises on the new ships, trips out to Aluani, stays at the Animation hotel, free accommodations during press events (even for locals...), etc.
Happens all the time.

asianway

Cruises on the new ships, trips out to Aluani, stays at the Animation hotel, free accommodations during press events (even for locals...), etc.
Happens all the time.
I think a comp room stay even if it doesn't include airfare for a local certainly qualifies as a "trip".

PhotoDave219

Happens all the time.

I'm not suggesting it doesnt happen. Part of it is a changing paradigm of the new media in this country; traditional travel outlets are changing as newspapers & mags are going out of business. Travel people have always been comped.

What I want to see is the people who take these things be honest about it.

Lee

Adventurer
What I want to see is the people who take these things be honest about it.
Of course. That's a huge part of the issue here.
I want to see them be honest about it and also earn it. If your site or blog or tweets don't reach more than a few hundred people per day...GTFOff the gravy train.

And, I want to see Disney keep the playing field level. If Lou can interview guests in the MK for his show, let everyone do it. Especially real news outlets. If WESH (for example) can't operate in the parks, then nobody should.

PhotoDave219

Of course. That's a huge part of the issue here.
I want to see them be honest about it and also earn it. If your site or blog or tweets don't reach more than a few hundred people per day...GTFOff the gravy train.

And, I want to see Disney keep the playing field level. If Lou can interview guests in the MK for his show, let everyone do it. Especially real news outlets. If WESH (for example) can't operate in the parks, then nobody should.

Uh.... in the traditional media, that doesn't happen either. I've had moments of losing my mind at a PR person because another media outlet got the exclusive. It was sour grapes on my part, but i was sure to express my opinion at the moment....

Generally, the bigger fish get the bigger attention. Lou gets numbers; he has readers and supporters worldwide. I hate to say it but its better than what WESH can do. The wire services and editors I work with, they DO NOT GIVE A DAMM about whatever Disney is doing. Niche travel blogs, magazines, industry people DO.

Look at it from Disney's POV: You have to reach the largest audience possible. WESH only reaches the Orlando market.

Plus real journalists might notice something else while they are there.

Malin

I think this new video posted by Lou's site is a clear indication of the concerns with Disney's control over fan sites.

WDW1974

Like twitter.. you've been ruined by the horrible exposures you've had around you.

When you have GOOD podcasts - its an entirely different world. But good requires
- decent production value
- interesting/engaging content (NOT simply retelling the same crap you could just read in the day's headlines)
- intelligible speakers
- 'comfort factors' that help listeners find continuity/familiarity

It's not a good format for 'news' - there are more efficient ways of doing that. It's been most successful in the format of 'commentary', 'discussion/insight', or 'interviewing' IMO.

I've yet to listen to a Disney-sphere podcast that I have any interest in listening to more than once.. and the vast majority I wasn't able to even stomach listening to the entire show. Be it horrible production value, over the top abuse of Disney soundtracks, horrible cadence, or just dead boring content.

I don't know, but I find the whole concept to be largely useless (yes, like Twitter). ... Someone remarked to me earlier today that one of the Lifestylers was recording their 2012 Year in Review Podcast and it was five or six hours long. All I could think is 'what type of person thinks that much happened that's worthy of that amount of time -- I could do a 30 minute wrap up of WDW and all the O-Town parks quite easily and not miss anything?' and 'who will actually listen to that?' ... Do they truly think they'll get the time back when they get to the Pearly Gates (assuming of course you believe it that)?

The Disney Orlando online community is still far too incestuous, and focused on themselves. Instead of passion for the industry/product.. its a 'lifestyle' which leads to real ugly distortions.

That is so, so true. It's all about cliques and who likes whom and who hates whom and who is getting what from Disney. It is so high school-ish ...well, not mine, we acted more mature as teens than these folks act.

The only passion they have is for their own bottom lines. Do they like Disney? Sure. But if another company offered them the chance to be a paid online BRAND ADVOCATE, they'd drop the Mouse tomorrow

WDW1974

Lately, there's a backlash/vendetta against podcasters & bloggers that get attention/limited & basic media access from Disney.

This thread, as well as the Splitsville meet up thread, just seem to be complete sour grapes by members of this community.

You don't like what they have to say, don't read it, don't follow them on twitter, pay them no mind.

Not really, at least not for everyone.
Sour grapes requires that I either want or need the benefits that those bloggers or podcasters are receiving.
I don't.

I just don't want to see obsessive fans, under the guise of being some sort of pseudo "media", being encouraged (and by "encouraged" I mean "paid" in the form of gifts, trips or other benefits) to promote the company's agenda.
I want it to stop. For all of them.

Exactly, Lee. ... Why in the world would those of us with lives have sour grapes, or worse -- vendettas -- for people who are living lives that we would NEVER want? I can't think of a sadder existence than living in theme parks yet not really being there to enjoy yourself or being paid (MEANING as a Disney CM) for your time, but because you have to be the first blogger to get a picture when the walls for Storybook Circus come down.

I sure don't want or need what the bloggers/podcasters/lifestyle whores are getting. My life has so much more meaning than that and I have experienced and will continue to things that these people couldn't dream of. They need five minutes with Chris Beatty or Phil Holmes? Great. I'll pass.

I'm just not happy about Disney having paid brand ADVOCATES in social media that are blatantly shilling the product and lying about it (no, Lou, Tom, Ricky etc, but WDW has most definitely been better than it is now ... when it comes to basic upkeep and show quality, I'd argue that WDW has never been worse!) and their roles in it. And I have no intention of slowing my criticism down as the calendar changes from 2012 to 2013.

Happy New Year!

WDW1974

I don't want any 'press' controlled - good press or bad press.

Let the public decide what is crap or not.

If the concern is over how Disney spends its dollars - voice the concern to the only people who should have any say in it.. Disney and it's shareholders.

Agreed.

But with this 'new media' there are no rules and it's like the Wild West when it comes to how WDW Co is dealing with bloggers/podcaster/lifestyle whores. ... People aren't being given the whole story by any stretch. Has Lou talked about the infrastructure issues at WDW? Has Tom written/podcasted about all the SQS issues at WDW? Has anyone taken photos of all the netting going up all over WDW because they're afraid pieces of structure are going to fall on guests/cast?

I'm a shareholder (and not of the one or two share variety). I give a damn about one thing: the truth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom