Bloggers and Podcasters need to be controlled

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If you're getting that negative about Disney, why cover it? Life is too short man. Go do something you enjoy. Especially if something as small as this bothers you. Time for a break.

It seems to bother him less than folk that fail to truly appreciate the awesomeness of your favourite corporation bother you.

Just saying like.

tomman710

Pardon me for asking, but could someone explain to me the importance of these bloggers and podcasters in relation to our lives? I'm trying to figure out what all of the ruckus is about. Thanks!

If the allocated money for freebies to bloggers/podcasters could pay for one more hour of ride maintenance then it should matter to everyone.

If by paying off bloggers to support the "everything is better than ever" propaganda which thereby sways enough public sentiment to justify TDO to save money by not maintaining the property or plussing the parks then it should matter to everyone.

Or if you care at all about disingenuous reporting then it should matter.

Or maybe it doesn't but to me, paying off people to spin news just doesn't sit well with me and I can't help but think that there are larger ramifications or a money saving agenda, I mean why else would TDO be on board unless there was money to be saved?

Goofyernmost

The thing that gets me about this whole topic is why you think it is necessary to inform people that they have some sort of kickback from Disney. I'm not stupid. If someone is drooling Disney everything, they are doing that for a reason. You don't ask how much Disney pays for TV ads or print ads because you already know they are paying for that. Do I think for even a minute that even someone like Samantha Brown pays to get into the parks when she is filming? It's an age old business process known as trade-out. It costs nothing to let her in free and they get press coverage for it. Lou What'shisname, isn't Samantha Brown, but he does play up Disney so sweetly that it causes Diabetes, but so what, that's what he does. That's what Disney wants him to do. I know that, you know that and as far as outsiders are concerned he is only reinforcing how want they feel anyway, so it's win - win in every direction. It's like feeling the need to convince people that it is dark at night. It's common knowledge. It's so common that most don't even think that he is out there on his own, playing mister nice to Disney because of his love of the place. We all know he is a paid spokesman in one way of the other.
Some of are shareholders and interested in how The Walt Disney Company spends money. There are also concerns regarding Disney's image.
Stockholders only care about profit. If there is one very little looking is done to break down where they spend it. On top of that what they contribute to bloggers, etc. is about equal to parking meter change in the overall amount of spending that the Disney Co. does. These folks aren't even a blimp on the radar screen.

Tomman710 said:
If the allocated the money for freebies to bloggers/podcasters could pay for one more hour of ride maintenance then it should matter to everyone.
Yea, like that would happen. That would end up in the bonus envelope of top management, whereas any positive coverage could more than generate enough revenue to pay for it and do maintenance.

Bairstow

The notion that this could 'just be' a casual friend of Lou's inserting his name is beyond nonsensical and shows a profound lack of knowledge for how media conglomerates operate.

I think attributing the insertion of Lou's name and podcast to a deliberate cross-marketing and/or kickback from Disney corporate shows a profound overestimation at the amount of care that Disney/Marvel does, or even could put into their thousands and thousands of products.

The only reasonable explanation for this as far as I'm concerned is that one of the people involved in the writing of the comic needed a fake/amusing name of a journalist and a media outlet for a throwaway line in a single panel, and since the artist just happened to be a fan of Lou's show, decided to give Lou and the show a shout-out by namedropping him in the comic. As has already been pointed out, it's very common for comic-book artists and writers to hide subtle references to music, movies, and books they like in their work, usually in a way that only a fan of the referenced work would "get it." This time it's the Disney Park Internet Community, for what it's worth, that has a chance to "get it," and here were are tossing out bizarre conspiracy theories.

BTW, it took me about 4 minutes to find that the comic's writer, Dan Slott, is something of a Disney Park nerd himself.
I'd say that the possibility that he's downloaded and listened to a few shows of most popular Disney World podcast is fairly high.
https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/13709251355

host images

To allege some sort of cross-company effort to besmirch what Brett in his show bewilderingly called a "sacred" piece of pop art with Mongello's name is attributing far more effort initiative and craftiness than Disney Corporate is capable of.

The reality is, the only one who cares about this is us, and, assuming he even remembers doing it, the comic book writer himself.

scpergj

I do agree that the most likely scenario, but not the only one as @nytimez pointed out, is that the writer knew Lou and tossed in the shout out. But the issue is so ethically challenged, and the writer may not have known or been able to figure it out, because of Lou's lightning rod position as the ultimate WDW Social Media (Do they have an awards show for that? What would the statue be?) ... I'm reasonably sure that Tommy, Blondie and Crazy Gary and the gang want no part of 'splaining the free pub in a Disney pub, but how do you stop it when they just keep stepping into it deeper?

If they did have such a show...would the statue be something appropriate for, say....

lubricating the Yeti? :oops:

I kill me....seriously...

The Empress Lilly

I think attributing the insertion of Lou's name and podcast to a deliberate cross-marketing and/or kickback from Disney corporate shows a profound overestimation at the amount of care that Disney/Marvel does, or even could put into their thousands and thousands of products.

The only reasonable explanation for this as far as I'm concerned is that one of the people involved in the writing of the comic needed a fake/amusing name of a journalist and a media outlet for a throwaway line in a single panel, and since the artist just happened to be a fan of Lou's show, decided to give Lou and the show a shout-out by namedropping him in the comic. As has already been pointed out, it's very common for comic-book artists and writers to hide subtle references to music, movies, and books they like in their work, usually in a way that only a fan of the referenced work would "get it." This time it's the Disney Park Internet Community, for what it's worth, that has a chance to "get it," and here were are tossing out bizarre conspiracy theories.

BTW, it took me about 4 minutes to find that the comic's writer, Dan Slott, is something of a Disney Park nerd himself.
I'd say that the possibility that he's downloaded and listened to a few shows of most popular Disney World podcast is fairly high.
https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/13709251355

host images

To allege some sort of cross-company effort to besmirch what Brett in his show bewilderingly called a "sacred" piece of pop art with Mongello's name is attributing far more effort initiative and craftiness than Disney Corporate is capable of.

The reality is, the only one who cares about this is us, and, assuming he even remembers doing it, the comic book writer himself.
I agree with everything, except that I think the writer is not a fan of Lou. Lou is presented as an example of non-serious press parasite without integrity.

Me thinks the author of the comic is a regular reader of this very forum!

/Alternatively, dozens of upper management suits who are on the payroll for $100,000 an hour sat down and discussed promoting an obscure podcaster in a single frame of a comic book. This, I think, is verging on paranoia.

WDW1974

I do not believe I did the above. Instead, I asserted ... inserted ... fact. It is illogical to believe one writer who might be an acquaintance of Lou Mongello's, or even a reader here who dislikes the man, could put his name and business into the product in question. And, no, that is just not how things work. Um, Spider Man is a multi-billion dollar franchise. If you genuinely believe it is 'one man's' decision -- a writer, with no one else reading the work, there is a departure from reality.

Could it be that EVERY other person working on the comic dropped the editorial rip-and-rewrite here ... Is it possible? With the incredibly obscure nature of name inserted, that is certainly possible.

I am not, nor have I, made such an allegation.

This is your opinion. I see it as oversimplification if not naive.

WDW1974

/Alternatively, dozens of upper management suits who are on the payroll for $100,000 an hour sat down and discussed promoting an obscure podcaster in a single frame of a comic book. This, I think, is verging on paranoia.

I love how folks here just jump to lump situations that are NOT normal into alleged 'conspiracy theories' and the like in order to try and discredit them.

No one remotely suggested what you are stating above, yet you are presenting it as if it is some factual representation of what I and others believe.

Frankly, that's a lousy way of playing the debate game ... making up the other side's position since you can't or won't argue on te basis of what is being said. Frank Luntz would be proud.

The Empress Lilly

I love how folks here just jump to lump situations that are NOT normal into alleged 'conspiracy theories' and the like in order to try and discredit them.

No one remotely suggested what you are stating above, yet you are presenting it as if it is some factual representation of what I and others believe.

Frankly, that's a lousy way of playing the debate game ... making up the other side's position since you can't or won't argue on te basis of what is being said. Frank Luntz would be proud.
cafe5.gif

Come on, don't get your knickers in a twist over a wee bit of hyperbole.

A little bit of exaggaration adds spice to a statement, makes it a fun read.
there are approximately 7,876,401 Disney bloggers/podcasters/Lifestylers out there.

Bairstow

It is illogical to believe one writer who might be an acquaintance of Lou Mongello's, or even a reader here who dislikes the man, could put his name and business into the product in question. And, no, that is just not how things work. Um, Spider Man is a multi-billion dollar franchise.

That's the only logical explanation.
It's a throwaway reference to an obscure internet podcast stuck in there because Dan Slott needed a funny-sounding journalist name.
As has already been demonstrated, this sort of thing happens all the time and no one cares. THAT'S just how things work.

PhotoDave219

Dave, I have a feeling we knew each other in another lifetime, brother ...

Perhaps... perhaps. Thankfully the sidelines were sparse at the Bowl Game the other day.

@Lee tells me he met the charmer once ... I just want to know if she is as hot in real life as in her avatar!:D

We should have MAGICal meets. I wouldn't come. I'd just stalk them from a distance and try and take pics of y'all when you weren't looking (oh wait, that's what a local crazy blogger does ... nevermind!)

I've met "The Mom" before. She's quite nice. As for hotness? IDK, she's "The Mom" ... :D

PhotoDave219

Pardon me for asking, but could someone explain to me the importance of these bloggers and podcasters in relation to our lives? I'm trying to figure out what all of the ruckus is about. Thanks!

Lately, there's a backlash/vendetta against podcasters & bloggers that get attention/limited & basic media access from Disney.

This thread, as well as the Splitsville meet up thread, just seem to be complete sour grapes by members of this community.

You don't like what they have to say, don't read it, don't follow them on twitter, pay them no mind.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I might just be too old (although I don't think so), but podcasts just aren't my thing.

Like twitter.. you've been ruined by the horrible exposures you've had around you.

When you have GOOD podcasts - its an entirely different world. But good requires
- decent production value
- interesting/engaging content (NOT simply retelling the same crap you could just read in the day's headlines)
- intelligible speakers
- 'comfort factors' that help listeners find continuity/familiarity

It's not a good format for 'news' - there are more efficient ways of doing that. It's been most successful in the format of 'commentary', 'discussion/insight', or 'interviewing' IMO.

I've yet to listen to a Disney-sphere podcast that I have any interest in listening to more than once.. and the vast majority I wasn't able to even stomach listening to the entire show. Be it horrible production value, over the top abuse of Disney soundtracks, horrible cadence, or just dead boring content.

The key is of course.. connection with the topic. I could point you to great examples, but if you have no interest in the subject matter, you're not going to stay engaged. Additionally, you need an avenue to enjoy Audio content. Most fans of podcasting have reasonable periods for which to listen to shows. Commutes, during their workouts, etc. It's not something you sit down to do on its own.

In the pinball community, someone started up a podcast from nothing... more than anything, to drown out a perrenial troll grabbing attention with a online radio show.. and he did it by interviewing key industry people. Long interviews.. 45min-2+hrs. The production value was not great, but good enough. But it was the content that made it work. He was tapping a vault of information that had never been opened beyond face to face discussions... something the mass audience did not have access to. Now unfortunately, the base of people to interview like this that is interesting is limited.. but it was a great type of content for the format. Now these discussions are captured for the ages.

Another format is the commentary/insight format. Something that SHOULD work in the Disney-sphere, but reality is the # of 'experts' who can add value is small.. shrunken further by the lack of maturity/professionalism in many of them.

If you look at TWiT - they are this format. They provide an engaging show by using the week's news as a leap pad into commentary and insight from journalists and participants in the industry. There is some 'inside baseball' - but they try to control it.

The Disney Orlando online community is still far too incestuous, and focused on themselves. Instead of passion for the industry/product.. its a 'lifestyle' which leads to real ugly distortions.

Captain Chaos

Ya know, if 74 started this thread, I may have taken it more seriously... But since the OP is a person who has his own Disney podcast and website/blog, can we really take this argument seriously? I mean, Tim, I like your podcast and all, but how fast would you come on here bragging if they mentioned your name and podcast/website in the comic instead of Lou's? Would you still be calling for the special treatment to end?

Or are you just upset that you aren't on WDW's top podcast list to receive freebies and special treatment? Honestly, I agree with PhotoDave, sounds like a bunch of sour grapes from the OP who puts time and effort into his site and podcast, gets no Disney recognition, and now blasts Lou cause of the special treatment he apparently receives...

That is all I'll say about that...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I've never listened to a podcast, the name is y for a start, blogging sound like something you do in a toilet so I ignore those too. Is my life incomplete? Being an opinionated git why on earth would I want someone else's passing as fact rammed down my thrapple? Besides they no doubt lack my stunning wit and insightful analysis.

GenerationX

I don't read blogs or listen to podcasts. Regardless, I don't view them as independent entities. Paid or not, they have an agenda. Anyone with even a modicum of discernment abilities should recognize bloggers as the commercials they are.

I appreciate the Marketing aspects of getting your name out there in a positive way, so I understand completely why Disney would encourage bloggers in whatever way works.

Lee

Adventurer
Lately, there's a backlash/vendetta against podcasters & bloggers that get attention/limited & basic media access from Disney.

This thread, as well as the Splitsville meet up thread, just seem to be complete sour grapes by members of this community.

You don't like what they have to say, don't read it, don't follow them on twitter, pay them no mind.
Not really, at least not for everyone.
Sour grapes requires that I either want or need the benefits that those bloggers or podcasters are receiving.
I don't.

I just don't want to see obsessive fans, under the guise of being some sort of pseudo "media", being encouraged (and by "encouraged" I mean "paid" in the form of gifts, trips or other benefits) to promote the company's agenda.
I want it to stop. For all of them.

Goofyernmost

Not really, at least not for everyone.
Sour grapes requires that I either want or need the benefits that those bloggers or podcasters are receiving.
I don't.

I just don't want to see obsessive fans, under the guise of being some sort of pseudo "media", being encouraged (and by "encouraged" I mean "paid" in the form of gifts, trips or other benefits) to promote the company's agenda.
I want it to stop. For all of them.
Why? It's as old a process as business itself. As I stated before, if someone is spewing pure syrup over a specific product, it is practically a given that they are being "supported" to do so. Some outside people buy into it and accept everything that is said and others don't. If those that bought into it eventually visit and the place lives up to their expectations, so what? If it doesn't, well so much for the word of the blogger or podder. They only have a superficial influence on the public. It's the same as paid advertising. It's 99.9% hyperbole and the other .1% is BS. Interchangeable really!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom