Black Panther

Princess Leia

Black Panther has been mentioned a few times at the Oscars and it was in a montage!
Fingers crossed it doesn’t get Wonder Woman’d next year.

While I don’t see it being nominated for best picture, I would be shocked if it wasn’t nominated for costume, hair & makeup (those lip plates looked super realistic), visual effects, and the sound categories. If Logan could get an adapted screenplay nod, I would hope BP could too (though I understand that it was based on the comics as a whole, and not a specific storyline like Logan).

There’s a part of me that would hope someone would get nominated for supporting actor or actress though. I think Michael B. Jordan or Danai Gurira would have the best chance, but the year is still very young for film.

Princess Leia

BP just passed BatB at the box office to become the 9th highest grossing film of the North American box office. $26 Million more until it passes Rogue One... so maybe by this time next Tuesday?

WhatJaneSays

BP just passed BatB at the box office to become the 9th highest grossing film of the North American box office. $26 Million more until it passes Rogue One... so maybe by this time next Tuesday?
If it keeps up with it's low 40% week-to-week drops it could pass them and The Dark Knight by Saturday or Sunday. Unfortunately after that the next gap to overtake the #6 spot is $84 million to The Last Jedi, doable just a slower climb.

seascape

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ther-tops-920-million-worldwide/#275fa695647f

So I'd like to apologize to whoever it was that told me that BP was going to pass The Last Jedi, and I doubted them. It hasn't happened yet, but it looks like it's possible by the end of its run.
The way the box office receipts are climbing it looks like there is better than a 50% chance that BP will become the number 1 Marvel in North America movie so far. It will be interesting to see if Infinity Wars can pass it.

fractal

Finally saw it last night with my son. Good flick, very enjoyable. The entire South Korea segment was my favorite part.

I felt the acting was very good, especially Chadwick Boseman who's understated manner made it more believable. Also thought the sister, and the General were well played. Winston Duke, the leader of the mountain tribe, was also enjoyable.
Michael B Jordan was captivating in some scenes but he also had a handful of "cringe worthy" moments. Andy Serkis was fun to watch but became too "over the top". Seemed like a different character than in Ultron.

The plot was refreshingly different than other action movies and somewhat unpredictable (until the last battle). Yes, it was preachy at points and a bit contrived but overall both my son and I gave it a thumbs up!

Can't see it being nominated, much less winning Best Picture. But maybe, as others have said, best costume design or perhaps original screen play.

seascape

Black Panther just keeps going and going at the North American box office. This weekend it will pass 600 million in North American Box office ticket sales. Before its done It will pass Jurassic World and Titanic to become the number 3 in North America all time. I still doubt it can reach number 2 but if even with A wrinkle in time failure very few would have predicted a combined 750 to 800 million from these 2 films. Infinity Wars has it's hands full to pass Black Panther. The only question I have left is will Black Panther pass 700 million?

Peridot25

For what I remember, Black Panther is a B-Tier Hero but his popularity these past few weeks surpasses of that Captain America and Thor. Honestly, I am so proud of this hero and movie.

Animaniac93-98

If Black Panter makes $660 million in the USA (which there is a chance of it doing), it would become the third highest grossing domestic release of all-time, when not adjusting for inflation.

Princess Leia

Posted this in the spirit thread- BP did win the box office for the fifth weekend in a row. Last movie to have done that was Avatar.

Pacific Rim 2 is tracking at $24-31 Million for next weekend, so it’s possible Black Panther could be number one for a 6th weekend, but it could also be a close 2nd.

Ripken10

Posted this in the spirit thread- BP did win the box office for the fifth weekend in a row. Last movie to have done that was Avatar.

Pacific Rim 2 is tracking at $24-31 Million for next weekend, so it’s possible Black Panther could be number one for a 6th weekend, but it could also be a close 2nd.
While nothing is impossible, I think by those tracking numbers it should be a fairly easy win for Pacific Rim 2. They have Black Panther at projected at 27m this weekend with a 33% decline. If they declined the same next weekend (which in itself is pretty good), we are looking at 18m. So even if Pacific Rim comes in on the low end, it will likely have a considerable cushion.

Princess Leia

While nothing is impossible, I think by those tracking numbers it should be a fairly easy win for Pacific Rim 2. They have Black Panther at projected at 27m this weekend with a 33% decline. If they declined the same next weekend (which in itself is pretty good), we are looking at 18m. So even if Pacific Rim comes in on the low end, it will likely have a considerable cushion.
I agree.

I wonder if some theatres will bring it back for a double feature with Infinity War (or at least give movie goers the option of doing something like that). All of the other MCU films are out on dvd/blu-ray/streaming, but BP won’t be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom