Black Panther

Princess Leia

Saw it yesterday and thought it was alright. I understand why there's so much hype around the movie, but for me it's not in my top-5 as far as Marvel flicks go. Decent villain, though. I kind of wish he had won, just because Michael B. Jordan was way more interesting than the title character.

Conversations between female characters only pass the Bechdel test if the female characters are not talking about male characters.
I should clarify- that’s the only conversation I remember the two of them having, so if there was another one like the poster said, I’m pleasantly surprised

flynnibus

Premium Member
so question is.. is it the targeted demo that is boosting this film's numbers? I guess looking at international numbers would be interesting in that theory...

For me... the film was good, but not stand out. I wouldn't even put it top 3 or 5 MCU films. It doesn't really do anything that stands out to me.. or makes me want to tell my friends 'you need to see this...'

Anyone else?

Bairstow

so question is.. is it the targeted demo that is boosting this film's numbers?

I think it's part of it.
I saw the film at a Saturday matinee and I would estimate that about a quarter of the people in the theater were black. Many of them were middle-aged couples, that is to say, not the sort of people one would normally expect to pay money to see a sci-fi comic book movie opening weekend. I had heard reports of people showing up to the theaters dressed nicely and in African-inspired clothes and accessories, and this was indeed the case where I was. Pretty cool to see, really, and it's smart business on Disney's part to make a comic book movie with crossover appeal like this.

Animaniac93-98

so question is.. is it the targeted demo that is boosting this film's numbers? I guess looking at international numbers would be interesting in that theory...

From an NYT article:

"Black viewers made up about 37 percent of the domestic turnout, according to PostTrak, fueled by large numbers of church and school groups"

So it's partially that, but you don't reach these kinds of numbers with any one audience alone. It's really a combination of factors, and I would suspect the lack of competition in February, the holiday weekend and the overall strength of the Marvel brand (BP is the 9th MCU movie to open over $100 million) to also be big factors here.

The movie is doing big business overseas too, despite not opening in markets like China or Russia yet.

And we're now less than 75 days until Infinity War opens...

the.dreamfinder

It looks like Black Panther will pass $500 million in North America and $1 billion worldwide. The big question is will it pass The Last Jedi worldwide?
Yes, but we need to see if the film has repeat business in weeks 3+ to see by how much. Disney’s Dave Hollis told Deadline they think this film is now playing like an Avengers film, so it can do $1.4-1.5 Billion. There’s a potential for the film to get close to TFA’s domestic total, $900 millions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Black viewers made up about 37 percent of the domestic turnout, according to PostTrak, fueled by large numbers of church and school groups"

That's 3 times the percentage in the U.S. population, just for context.

But even if you lopped off 24% of BP's take, it would still be a huge success at about $180 million domestically for the long weekend.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know it’s February, but I’m looking forward to Halloween. Can’t wait to see all of the little T’Challas running around (and to see if Disney creates costumes of Nakia or Okoye)

I hope White people know it's not OK to shave their heads and walk around in black-pate.

Princess Leia

I would say yes- as long as parents are responsible and are smart enough to know that black-face is offensive. Kids dressed up as Moana last year (also saw a lot of white Moanas running around Disney World), so I think they should be okay as long as they follow rule #1 (see above).

Bairstow

I would say yes- as long as parents are responsible and are smart enough to know that black-face is offensive. Kids dressed up as Moana last year (also saw a lot of white Moanas running around Disney World), so I think they should be okay as long as they follow rule #1 (see above).

I thought Disney pulled all the Moana costumes off the market for that very reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom