Black Panther

seascape

I expected good week-to-week holds for Black Panther but so far it looks like all the holds are sub -20%, Saturday was only -11%, that's just crazy. I guess everybody that said they wanted to catch BP one more time, or for the first time, before Infinity War are actually doing it.

I feel there might be a chance that BP may even rally a bit up the chart after IW.
I can see Black Panther making it to 690 million but if you are right 700 would be possible but I doubt it. I have been wrong though as I did not expect to hold as well as it has but based on the correct numbers it looks very likely that Disney will break 1 billion on Friday not Saturday as I had thought before last weekend.

WhatJaneSays

If BP was playing near me, I would totally catch it again over the next couple weekends. Unfortunately, that’s not the case (waiting for the theatre that gets movies at the very end of their runs right now, so it will probably be there in 3 weeks).
Ready Player One and Rampage are probably about to take a major beating.
That's a shame! I'm lucky to be near the Disney Springs AMC, they're still playing it through this weekend at least.

I can see Black Panther making it to 690 million but if you are right 700 would be possible but I doubt it. I have been wrong though as I did not expect to hold as well as it has but based on the correct numbers it looks very likely that Disney will break 1 billion on Friday not Saturday as I had thought before last weekend.
700 isn't out of question, but I feel the drops are going to max out once BP goes to home release in May. It should be able to coast to 690 by the end of it's run but to get to 700 it would have to maintain better that -25% drop week-to-week until ... Late June.

Of course I was almost 400k off in my estimation from last week. And I'm probably going to be more that far off for my estimation for this week to! (Seriously I had it down for 682 EOD Thursday, and the Monday numbers already have it at 681.8)

WhatJaneSays

And Black Panther popped back up to #5 for the day on Wednesday, gaining 21% over last Wednesday. It's likely this may hold for the weekend and with no other real releases this Friday ... Marvel could have 2 movies in the Top 5 at the same time.

Princess Leia

And Black Panther popped back up to #5 for the day on Wednesday, gaining 21% over last Wednesday. It's likely this may hold for the weekend and with no other real releases this Friday ... Marvel could have 2 movies in the Top 5 at the same time.
It was in the #5 spot Thursday and Friday too. I imagine it might stay there this weekend- a Black Panther/Infinity War double feature would be pretty easy to do on a Saturday or Sunday.

Princess Leia

Or if the theater is sold out, it's a great alternative! Or if they need to catch up for missing it before seeing IW.
If I was a theater, I’d hold onto it for another weekend. It definitely gives people the opportunity to a) see it again if they want to remember when aliens were not running around Wakanda, B) see it for the first time to have a background on the BP characters, or C) spend some actual time with T’Challa, because IW was definitely lacking in T’Challa time.

Princess Leia

If BP does as well as it’s doing so far this weekend, it will mark the first time two MCU films have been in the top 5 together, and the first time two MCU films have been in top 10 together since 2008!

Ripken10

My friends went to the theater early to try to catch Black Panther before their showing of Infinity War ... the show was sold out!
We thought about going to see Black Panther tonight before seeing IW tomorrow. We have a ton of theaters near us, but unfortunately not enough were showing Black Panther. They were limited too much for us to be able to see it tonight. Too bad.

seascape

Well, Black Panthar has now passed The Last Jedi. Can it pass Harty Potter and Deathly Hallows Part 2? It is only 8.2 million away. I never thought it was possible but with only an 11% decline this past weekend it is possible.

Princess Leia

I don't know if it will pop above Deathly Hallows Part 2 this week, but it for sure will next week even if it goes back to it's pre-Infinity War drops. :)
It looks like it is essentially done making money overseas (minus Saudi Arabia, since it just got there), so I think that the bulk of the work will be on the domestic side of things

WhatJaneSays

It looks like it is essentially done making money overseas (minus Saudi Arabia, since it just got there), so I think that the bulk of the work will be on the domestic side of things
Yeah I don't expect much more out of the international market, maybe another million tops. It looks like most markets are likely to drop it after this week.

Domestic is still a "slow" climb to 700 million. End of week it should be a bit over 689. It can still get boost this coming week/weekend from Infinity War.

WhatJaneSays

As an aside: Black Panther has been nearly impossible to track by any normal metrics. It's so far outside of the calculations typically used for estimations, any minor fluctuation is exponentially off. (Personally, I've been using a combo of The Force Awakens and the original Avengers statistics for reference, and it's still off.)

At week 10 (April 20th-26th) BP was in 1,930 theaters and made over 7 million dollars.

The Force Awakens? 1,618 theaters making a bit under 5.2 million - and THAT was in unheard of theater count and box office.

Most stand alone Marvel Studio movies are normally in the 200-350 theater range at this point, making less than million that week. There are a few outliers like Guardians of the Galaxy but even they did 3.9 million.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As an aside: Black Panther has been nearly impossible to track by any normal metrics. It's so far outside of the calculations typically used for estimations, any minor fluctuation is exponentially off. (Personally, I've been using a combo of The Force Awakens and the original Avengers statistics for reference, and it's still off.)

At week 10 (April 20th-26th) BP was in 1,930 theaters and made over 7 million dollars.

The Force Awakens? 1,618 theaters making a bit under 5.2 million - and THAT was in unheard of theater count and box office.

Most stand alone Marvel Studio movies are normally in the 200-350 theater range at this point, making less than million that week. There are a few outliers like Guardians of the Galaxy but even they did 3.9 million.

Fantastic post...kudos.

Black panther is amazing on so many levels...not the movie itself (its good...but not my point)...it’s the economic and cultural issues there.

It has both benefits/drivers and headwinds to deal with to get to that $1.3...it’s a bigger smash than the money indicates

Princess Leia

I was digging around Box Office Mojo (that’s been a daily site visit lately with all the Marvel stuff going on), and I was curious as to where Black Panther landed for number of weeks in the top 10... It’s definitely not going to be breaking any records (E.T holds the record at 44).

The advent of VHS, then DVD/Blu-Ray, and now Digital is definitely putting a large dent in how long films are in theaters. Now, the popularity of BP, combined with Infinity War, could keep it in the top 10 up until it’s released for home media, which in turn could have some record breaking numbers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom