Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

DKampy

Also if this get some Oscar love...I am sure they will want to keep this in theaters as long as possible...I am not confident it will except probably Angela Basset....but there is still some talk...and I think it is still possible

Californian Elitist

Also if this get some Oscar love...I am sure they will want to keep this in theaters as long as possible...I am not confident it will except probably Angela Basset....but there is still some talk...and I think it is still possible
I think the movie at least deserves Oscar nominations for best costuming and best score.

erasure fan1

See, now we can definitely agree on something. D+ has been a factor for everything that will show on it. It will probably impact Avatar 2 also, but that has the holidays so it will do better than most. (although I don't think it will get that close to TGM, let alone SM: NWH).

As for when WF will hit D+, I suspect they will want to keep it in theaters until at least MLK weekend is over.
Careful, a certain @Prince-1 might turn on you! It's not ok to fraternize, let alone agree, with people who question how Disney does things!

Avatar is a toss up. If they can get the word out it won't be coming to D+ in a month and a half, that could make a big difference. Of course it might just be a big enough spectacle that everyone just has to go see it and nothing really matters.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Ok. Maybe it does. That doesn't change anything. First off a quick search brings up all speculation and the 45 day window. If the average person just searches the movie and disney+, the prominent thing is 45 days. But there isn't a for sure answer. The issue is 45 days ish has been the norm. That's the standard Disney has set.
1. No, that's not the standard *Disney* has set, it's the standard COVID forced upon them.

2. No random person walking around on the streets has any clue what the average theatrical window is today or ever has been. "I'll just wait for it on streaming" is no different that 10 years ago "I'll just wait for it on HBO."

erasure fan1

1. No, that's not the standard *Disney* has set, it's the standard COVID forced upon them.

2. No random person walking around on the streets has any clue what the average theatrical window is today or ever has been. "I'll just wait for it on streaming" is no different that 10 years ago "I'll just wait for it on HBO."
No, covid started it, and Disney has continued it. Dr Strange, Thor, Lightyear... Covid was a non factor. Turning red should have been released as well. Disney chose to accelerate the time to D+.

They don't need a clue. They just have to think it's probably coming in a couple months. Back in the day it was an extremely long time before it went from theater to HBO. We can agree to disagree as they say, but D+ is the reason I won't be seeing it in a theater.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Turning red should have been released as well. Disney chose to accelerate the time to D+.
Turning Red **was released**.

In countries where the theaters were mostly open. That's why Turning Red has a stat for Box Office receipts since it was in **limited release** internationally and not widely released domestically.

I'm getting tired of people pointing at the results of movies released while pandemic restrictions were still in force as if it were the before times.

erasure fan1

Turning Red **was released**.

In countries where the theaters were mostly open. That's why Turning Red has a stat for Box Office receipts since it was in **limited release** internationally and not widely released domestically.

I'm getting tired of people pointing at the results of movies released while pandemic restrictions were still in force as if it were the before times.
Ok, and I'm getting tiered of people using the pandemic as some crutch for Disney. No way home had people flooding the theaters 4 months before turning red came out. Oh wait, maybe I missed the animated movie covid restrictions. Yea that's it. Turning red could have had a FULL theatrical release. But for some brainless reason, they didn't.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok. Maybe it does. That doesn't change anything. First off a quick search brings up all speculation and the 45 day window. If the average person just searches the movie and disney+, the prominent thing is 45 days. But there isn't a for sure answer. The issue is 45 days ish has been the norm. That's the standard Disney has set.
As pointed out the 45 days was not something Disney defined on their own, also it hasn't be consistent. Not every Disney theatrical release has stuck to the 45 day window, some shorter, some longer, some right at 45 days. Its been based on the movie, the state of the pandemic at the time, and how well the box office was doing.

Its pretty much guaranteed Disney won't pull Wakanda at the 45 day mark.

Also it should be noted Disney is far from the only company doing this limited theatrical release window, Netflix pulled Glass Onion after only 5 days in limited release. It was doing pretty good box office, and yet they pulled it. It shows that again box office is becoming less and less of importance for many studios out there.

erasure fan1

As pointed out the 45 days was not something Disney defined on their own, also it hasn't be consistent. Not every Disney theatrical release has stuck to the 45 day window, some shorter, some longer, some right at 45 days.
Of course they never defined it. But that doesn't change the perception that movies come pretty quick to D+. So is it a reason that someone might not see a movie in a theater? Yes. Is that the single reason? No, as I've said.
Its pretty much guaranteed Disney won't pull Wakanda at the 45 day mark.
Maybe. Your info is as good as mine. So I'm not sure why this is such a sticking point. Maybe the box office for Avatar brings panther to a crawl and they decide to move panther to D+ at the 2 month mark instead of the month and a half timeframe. Maybe Avatar is a complete turd and they want to try and push panther as far as they can.
Netflix pulled Glass Onion after only 5 days in limited release. It was doing pretty good box office, and yet they pulled it.
I would bet they released it so they could make a bit of cash, award season consideration, and the almighty exclusive content. Maybe they think it could get best pic/actor... Nods. And if I remember right you need a theatrical release of some sort to qualify.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Of course they never defined it. But that doesn't change the perception that movies come pretty quick to D+. So is it a reason that someone might not see a movie in a theater? Yes. Is that the single reason? No, as I've said.
Point is that with a 5 second google search one can see that its not going to D+ any time soon. So anyone that is assuming its going to D+ around 45 days just isn't paying attention.

Maybe. Your info is as good as mine. So I'm not sure why this is such a sticking point. Maybe the box office for Avatar brings panther to a crawl and they decide to move panther to D+ at the 2 month mark instead of the month and a half timeframe. Maybe Avatar is a complete turd and they want to try and push panther as far as they can.
The sticking point is that all the detractors of the D+ release strategy is almost yelling that Disney should leave films in theaters longer, well that appears to be what they are doing. So don't know why this is even a question any more. Disney will leave their theatrical releases in theaters longer when it makes sense. If they pull a film early its for specific reasons such as the Netflix model of "Exclusive Content", as Disney has done previously. Or it could be just that the film isn't doing well to pull it to get more content on D+.

Either way Disney is moving away from the "Covid model", maybe just not as quick as some would like.

I would bet they released it so they could make a bit of cash, award season consideration, and the almighty exclusive content. Maybe they think it could get best pic/actor... Nods. And if I remember right you need a theatrical release of some sort to qualify.
It only has to be released in a single theater in a major market, usually LA or NYC, for it to qualify for awards season.

And yes it was pulled to be "Exclusive Content", hmm what other Studio with a mouse mascot has done that with their theatrical releases.......

And it should be noted that Netflix spent something like $450M for the Knives Out franchise, so those 5 days ain't to recoup costs.

Prince-1

Careful, a certain @Prince-1 might turn on you! It's not ok to fraternize, let alone agree, with people who question how Disney does things!

Avatar is a toss up. If they can get the word out it won't be coming to D+ in a month and a half, that could make a big difference. Of course it might just be a big enough spectacle that everyone just has to go see it and nothing really matters.

Awww did someone get all upset after getting called out about going on about how you believed that they were going to time replace Indy with a woman even though the director explicitly said that wasn't happening and called out trolls for continuing to spread stupid rumors. It's ok, I am sure you will get over it. 😂

And here is an article where Mangold calls out people like you and the other trolls who want to continue to believe whatever delusional nonsense you made up in your head. Like I said yesterday, take off the tinfoil hat at least once a day. It's good for ya.

erasure fan1

Point is that with a 5 second google search one can see that its not going to D+ any time soon. So anyone that is assuming its going to D+ around 45 days just isn't paying attention.
Did you by chance actually do that 5 second google search? Because I did when I posted earlier. So it seems you are the one not paying attention.
Here's the first story
But it's reasonable to estimate that Wakanda Forever will likely start streaming sometime between late December and mid- to late January.
And here's the second
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is currently tearing up the box office, but it'll soon be available in the home for Disney Plus subscribers
And just for good measure
While Disney hasn’t yet confirmed a date for Wakanda Forever’s arrival on Disney Plus, the company’s previous patterns with Marvel Cinematic Universe installments suggest that the movie will stream in the very near future.
And even if it's later in Jan, that's only a few extra weeks. Not so cut and dry I'd say.

The sticking point is that all the detractors of the D+ release strategy is almost yelling that Disney should leave films in theaters longer, well that appears to be what they are doing.
Again, we will see. I think you missed the point about the D+ strategy that everyone was "yelling" about. Let's say they pull Wakanda forever mid Jan. That's really not to much longer. The issue is when it then goes to D+. Most of what I've seen is people think a better strategy would be to hold it back from D+ for a couple months or more after the main theatrical window closed. That way people are less likely to pass on it when they know a film won't be watchable for 6 months or so unless they go to the theater.

erasure fan1

Awww did someone get all upset after getting called out about going on about how you believed that they were going to time replace Indy with a woman even though the director explicitly said that wasn't happening and called out trolls for continuing to spread stupid rumors. It's ok, I am sure you will get over it. 😂

And here is an article where Mangold calls out people like you and the other trolls who want to continue to believe whatever delusional nonsense you made up in your head. Like I said yesterday, take off the tinfoil hat at least once a day. It's good for ya.

You have the reading comprehension of a 4yr old. I wasn't called out by anything in that article. But if you knew how to read you would know that. But hey, if making a bunch of nonsense up makes you feel better, you go right ahead. I'm just glad I get to argue with Disney's greatest fan ever!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Did you by chance actually do that 5 second google search? Because I did when I posted earlier. So it seems you are the one not paying attention.
Here's the first story

And here's the second

And just for good measure

And even if it's later in Jan, that's only a few extra weeks. Not so cut and dry I'd say.
Yep did a 2 second search "When will Black Panther 2 come to Disney+" and this was the very first article that came up:

It references the same Deadline article I referenced earlier. Which I believe was referenced in this thread a couple weeks ago when it first came out.

Again, we will see. I think you missed the point about the D+ strategy that everyone was "yelling" about. Let's say they pull Wakanda forever mid Jan. That's really not to much longer. The issue is when it then goes to D+. Most of what I've seen is people think a better strategy would be to hold it back from D+ for a couple months or more after the main theatrical window closed. That way people are less likely to pass on it when they know a film won't be watchable for 6 months or so unless they go to the theater.
I got the point, and to some degree I agree with. But I think it needs to be on a case-by-case basis, ie per specific movie. An MCU film like Wakanda should remain in theaters for 4-5 months depending on other MCU releases. For example I already said in this thread that I believe Wakanda will stay in theaters until February when Quantumania comes out, giving it a 4 month run.

But for other films like some of the recent DAS films should probably go to D+ a lot sooner, like 2-3 months, unless they are doing really well. Point is the jump from theaters to D+ should be flexible, not set to a specific time frame.

erasure fan1

I got the point, and to some degree I agree with. But I think it needs to be on a case-by-case basis, ie per specific movie. An MCU film like Wakanda should remain in theaters for 4-5 months
Agreed, sort of. As long as they wait a few months to put the film on D+, it doesn't matter how long the theatrical run is. That way, a film that people might be on the fence with, won't have the D+ release looming over its head.
For example I already said in this thread that I believe Wakanda will stay in theaters until February when Quantumania comes out, giving it a 4 month run.
It would need to be in theaters until mid March to hit 4 months. It came out Nov 11th.
the jump from theaters to D+ should be flexible, not set to a specific time frame.
Again, agreed. With the stipulation no matter the timeframe, you give a 3 month or so gap to D+. I'm not sure Disney can resist though. When you have a movie like strange world, or lightyear, the temptation is going to be pull it from theatrical and offer it up as D+ fodder asap. They just need to be patient in my opinion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Agreed, sort of. As long as they wait a few months to put the film on D+, it doesn't matter how long the theatrical run is. That way, a film that people might be on the fence with, won't have the D+ release looming over its head.
There should be no "minimum time in theaters" in my opinion. It needs to be case-by-case basis decision.

It would need to be in theaters until mid March to hit 4 months. It came out Nov 11th.
You're right I was off in counting, and that may still happen with mid-March. Point is they aren't pulling it until 2023 whatever the specific date.

Again, agreed. With the stipulation no matter the timeframe, you give a 3 month or so gap to D+. I'm not sure Disney can resist though. When you have a movie like strange world, or lightyear, the temptation is going to be pull it from theatrical and offer it up as D+ fodder asap. They just need to be patient in my opinion.
Again this is where we'll disagree. Just like Netflix there will be times where you put a movie out in order to get the "buzz" around it before putting it as an "Exclusive" content on the streamer. This is still going to be a strategy used by all studios, even Disney. So again its not a set time frame, it can be as short as the 5 day window as Netflix did, or it could be as long as 5-6 months. There should be no "minimum time in theaters" in my opinion.

erasure fan1

There should be no "minimum time in theaters" in my opinion.
Agreed, as that's what I said.
Again this is where we'll disagree.
I don't think we do disagree really. I don't think Disney has pulled its movies early to create buzz. But if that's what they want to do, that's fine. All I'm saying is when you are going after box office, don't short yourself by immediately going to D+. Just give it some time that's all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom