Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Phroobar

So Wakanda Forever was a failure? It made $675,570,596 world wide but the first Black Panther movie made $1,382,248,826. That is less than half of the original.

Jedijax719

So Wakanda Forever was a failure? It made $675,570,596 world wide but the first Black Panther movie made $1,382,248,826. That is less than half of the original.
Well, #1 it is not finished yet. And #2-welcome to a post-pandemic cinematic climate.

TGM was an anomaly. But it also had nearly 50% of its audience over 55. It has a bigger audience of people who don't do streaming.

Good luck finding anything next year that will come close. The #1 movie next year will likely be Little Mermaid. It may be the only movie making $400 million domestically and may be the only one with any shot at $1 billion WW. Avatar 2 will probably make more during 2023 than any movie actually released IN 2023.

Phroobar

Well, #1 it is not finished yet. And #2-welcome to a post-pandemic cinematic climate.

TGM was an anomaly. But it also had nearly 50% of its audience over 55. It has a bigger audience of people who don't do streaming.

Good luck finding anything next year that will come close. The #1 movie next year will likely be Little Mermaid. It may be the only movie making $400 million domestically and may be the only one with any shot at $1 billion WW. Avatar 2 will probably make more during 2023 than any movie actually released IN 2023.
However Spiderman No Way Home and Top Gun Maverick where both post pandemic and made $1,971,439,845 and $1,486,657,763 respectively so that argument about cinematic climate really doesn't hold water. People will show up for a movie they want to see. WF seems not to be that movie.

Phroobar

LOL, I was thinking and posting the same thing. Disney Apologists will make up any excuse for their beloved company.
I don't understand the "It's a Disney movie. It will do well." when that is obviously not the case. The Little Mermaid will flop just as hard as any other Disney "live-action" remake simply because people can watch it on Disney+ a few months later.

I swear these people have a stake in the movie's returns.

Jedijax719

Wakanda Forever looking to make $15-$16 million this weekend (after making $46 million last weekend).

Yikes!!! That's painful! That would be a 67% drop. Even after the holidays, comparable movies (Strange1, Ragnarok, Dark World, and even Eternals) dropped less than 50%.

But on the bright side, maybe it will be out on D+ sooner that I thought to enjoy its splendor at home!:)

Last edited:

Phroobar

Wakanda Forever looking to make $15-$16 million this weekend (after making $46 million last weekend).

Yikes!!! That's painful! That would be a 67% drop. Even after the holidays, comparable movies (Strange1, Ragnarok, Dark World, and even Eternals) dropped less than 50%.

But on the bright side, maybe it will be out on D+ sooner that I thought to enjoy its splendor at home!:)
According to Box Office Mojo, it made about half of Black Panther. Not too spectacular.

Jedijax719

According to Box Office Mojo, it made about half of Black Panther. Not too spectacular.
Well it's not done yet so that's just current. But it will end up between 60-65% of the first one. It had TONS of obstacles on its own, let alone the shabby state of cinema in general. In a few years, when they do the third with
T'Challa's son
, we'll be back up there.

Phroobar

Well it's not done yet so that's just current. But it will end up between 60-65% of the first one. It had TONS of obstacles on its own, let alone the shabby state of cinema in general. In a few years, when they do the third with
T'Challa's son
, we'll be back up there.
I don't think it will hit even that. It's about 49% now. There is no way it is getting to 60% which is still a big financial failure. Remember other movies made 1.5 to 2 billon and are in the top ten with the "shabby state of the cinema" . That point has been brought up many times. So that argument doesn't hold water.

Jedijax719

I don't think it will hit even that. It's about 49% now. There is no way it is getting to 60% which is still a big financial failure. Remember other movies made 1.5 to 2 billon and are in the top ten with the "shabby state of the cinema" . That point has been brought up many times. So that argument doesn't hold water.
Do you mean domestic of global?

Jedijax719

Globally.
Black Panther: $1,382,248,826
Wakanda Forever: $689,105,014

I'd be more willing to agree about success if it broke a billion.
Can't compare globally. Completely different climate and totally different cultures we don't understand, some of which banned the movie.

Jedijax719

That is exactly what you do. That is how the industry measures it.
Even domestically it is still at half.
Now, but it's only been out for 4 weeks. That said, it will end up around 60-65%. But it's no fault of the movie itself. That last 2 MCU movies were mixed at best and the lack of T'Challa had more of an impact that most people thought. It's still a great movie and all involved should be extremely proud of what they accomplished at such great loss and odds.

erasure fan1

That said, it will end up around 60-65%. But it's no fault of the movie itself. That last 2 MCU movies were mixed at best and the lack of T'Challa had more of an impact that most people thought.
I'd argue it is the fault of the movie. Like you said, the lack of Tchalla hurt it. They could have recast the role, Chadwicks family said he thought the character was more important than the actor. Or, they could have delayed the movie and incorporated the transition into another movie. Similarly to how they introduced him in the first place. But they chose to retool the movie around Chadwick not being there. So the movie is what it is. It might very well be a good movie, but it's what's in the movie, or lack there of, that people aren't going as much as the first.

_caleb

I'd argue it is the fault of the movie. Like you said, the lack of Tchalla hurt it. They could have recast the role, Chadwicks family said he thought the character was more important than the actor. Or, they could have delayed the movie and incorporated the transition into another movie. Similarly to how they introduced him in the first place. But they chose to retool the movie around Chadwick not being there. So the movie is what it is. It might very well be a good movie, but it's what's in the movie, or lack there of, that people aren't going as much as the first.
I’d argue that it’s knee-jerk reactions from negative-biased ”fans” (many of whom say they haven’t even seen the movie) that’s kept Wakanda Forever from making more money.

Prince-1

Can't compare globally. Completely different climate and totally different cultures we don't understand, some of which banned the movie.

And don’t forget that Disney has decided to release most of their recent movies on D+ a lot sooner then they did when the original BP was in theaters. I’ve concluded facts mean nothing to some people and they are living in the past. Oh wellz!!!

Screamface

I’d argue that it’s knee-jerk reactions from negative-biased ”fans” (many of whom say they haven’t even seen the movie) that’s kept Wakanda Forever from making more money.

Maybe, without T''Challa, the film just became another in the long line of "Next Marvel Product" for many and it made little argument for seeing it. It's got some bump, but like all Marvel post End Game. What is the point? It's filler for a cinematic universe currently going nowhere. We may at some point get a movie in the future where the Atlantians, or whatever they are, rise up to help fight Thanos 2.0. Nothing more, nothing less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom