Birnbaum 2009: Space Mountain closed in 2009

Thumper's Mom

While I don't know any specific information on the dates, I have to add something here. I was in Disneyland a couple weeks ago. I LOVE Space Mountain...always have! Well, Disneyland's SM is sooooooo much better than WDWs!! I hope they make WDWs like DL!! :D

Since the TTA runs through Space Mountain, does anyone know if the TTA will be closed, too? Or, will the Imagineers just put up a Space Mountain tarp like they have done with other refurb projects and have the TTA run its regular course?

SeanC

Hmmm...just last week there was a thread saying it was looking like a much shorter down time and management might be wimping out and it would be a much less dramatic fix-up, but no one knew for sure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lets not start another thread about scale of works, will the TTA be open, will they put tarps up....

As of now the scale of works is still not confirmed either way. It WILL close sometime next year for a lengthy period, and the TTA WILL close for a portion of that time.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
And the real issue is that there are fewer attractions on offer at the MK now than during our first trip in 94, seems the only thing not stagnating is the price

Disneyson 1

In a nutshell? Onboard music, less rickity-ness, very cool lighting effects, and an asteroid that they never bothered to light up (please, let's not go to town on the asteroid topic, it's been disscussed to death!).

jt04

In a nutshell? Onboard music, less rickity-ness, very cool lighting effects, and an asteroid that they never bothered to light up (please, let's not go to town on the asteroid topic, it's been disscussed to death!).

i definitely favor the less rickity-ness part. how bout a roof over the queue? Any word on that?

docandsix

Just close the darn thing already!

I'm surprised whenever someone expresses hope that Space Mountain will "still be open when we visit." For my part, the sooner Disney closes this dated, underwhelming attraction, so sadly failing to live up to its reputation and considerable potential, the better. What once fulfilled a novel concept in theme park imagination now reveals the stagnation of dated technology, inadequate upkeep, and satisfaction with popularity predicated on nostalgia rather than accomplishment. I say, start the refurb tomorrow, so that it can live up to its potential. I'd gladly see it closed for my next vacation, and wouldn't even think twice about it, except in gratitude that Disney is finally doing something about this embarrassment of a 1970's roller coaster. In fact, I'd take it as a gift that I wouldn't feel obligated to waste precious vacation time on a ride that Disney basically hasn't bothered to spend a minute or a dollar on in decades.Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.

tirian

I'm surprised whenever someone expresses hope that Space Mountain will "still be open when we visit." For my part, the sooner Disney closes this dated, underwhelming attraction, so sadly failing to live up to its reputation and considerable potential, the better. What once fulfilled a novel concept in theme park imagination now reveals the stagnation of dated technology, inadequate upkeep, and satisfaction with popularity predicated on nostalgia rather than accomplishment. I say, start the refurb tomorrow, so that it can live up to its potential. I'd gladly see it closed for my next vacation, and wouldn't even think twice about it, except in gratitude that Disney is finally doing something about this embarrassment of a 1970's roller coaster. In fact, I'd take it as a gift that I wouldn't feel obligated to waste precious vacation time on a ride that Disney basically hasn't bothered to spend a minute or a dollar on in decades.Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.

:sohappy:

Good statement.

the-reason14

Why waste time and ride it at all if its as bad as some say. It does need a refurb, I do agree, but why even ride it, you know you dont have to get on the ride if its so bad.

So is it really close all of 09, cuz if yea, Im gonna try and go to DL or will be going to six flags or something.

EMThompsen

Why waste time and ride it at all if its as bad as some say. It does need a refurb, I do agree, but why even ride it, you know you dont have to get on the ride if its so bad.

So is it really close all of 09, cuz if yea, Im gonna try and go to DL or will be going to six flags or something.

A "bad" version of Space Mountain is better than no version at all. However. after having been on the DL version last month I realized that the WDW version could use a refurb. So when the refurb starts we'll just have to deal with it. There must be something else to do at WDW :lol:.
I'm sure the wait will be worth it if SM turns out to be as good as the DL version

flydisco

I don't get all the bad comments about SM. I love it as is.

I agree. I have always loved to ride SM and have been going to Disney almost every year since 1981.
It is best ridden with your eyes closed to make it that much better not knowing when the turns are coming. I know it is in the dark but you can still tell which way the track is going to turn with your eyes open.
JMO and my first post.

bgraham34

I love the current version of the ride. I have been on the one in Paris and I was not a big fan of it. It was a little rough for me.

tirian

I love the current version of the ride. I have been on the one in Paris and I was not a big fan of it. It was a little rough for me.

And the one that's falling apart in Florida isn't too rough for you, too?

To everyone who says SM is fine: yes, the track LAYOUT is fine, but the attraction's condition is awful. The track needs to be rebuilt and the special effects need to be updated. Period.

Were you guys satisfied with the old HM, or are you happy to see the incredible changes in the new one? :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom