Birnbaum 2009: Space Mountain closed in 2009

larryl9797

In what year was the DL SM refurb done?
It would be interesting to see what gets incorporated from DLs and what ( if any) new technology gets added?

This is probably one of the few rides you could do an apples to apples comparision....

interesting...

tirian

in what year was the dl sm refurb done?
It would be interesting to see what gets incorporated from dls and what ( if any) new technology gets added?

This is probably one of the few rides you could do an apples to apples comparision....

Interesting...

2004/2005

TP2000

In what year was the DL SM refurb done?
It would be interesting to see what gets incorporated from DLs and what ( if any) new technology gets added?

interesting...

There's also a newly updated Space Mountain at Tokyo Disneyland. The Tokyo version took the bulk of the Disneyland 2005 updates look and feel, but also changed it around a bit. Tokyo's new Space Mountain opened in April, 2007. It has a very similar look to the queue, station and most interior effects to Anaheim.
41710810_a9a900bc27.jpg

But, Tokyo Disneyland's new Space Mountain did not include the new onboard audio that Anaheim received. Tokyo's version still has no onboard audio, with audio limited to the lift hills, some general stuff in the dome, and the "hyperspeed tunnel" that is similar to Anaheim.

This is important because everything I've heard about the WDW remake says that onboard audio will not be added to this attraction in WDW. Correct me please if anyone has heard otherwise. I think WDW might see a look and vibe and plotline that is similar to Tokyo's new Space Mountain, since that remake can't rely on onboard audio to help carry the attraction story and further the show.

Disneyland's Space Mountain opened in 1977, and had a big rehab in 1996 when the onboard audio was added, one of the first uses of such technology stateside. The 2005 Disneyland rehab replaced the rocket fleet, and also replaced the onboard audio track with newly composed music. The new rockets feature four speakers per seat with a subwoofer in the middle of each row, and the effect is FANTASTIC! Much better than the earlier systems used on Rock N' Roller Coaster or California Screamin'.
space2.jpg

ToTBellHop

There's also a newly updated Space Mountain at Tokyo Disneyland. The Tokyo version took the bulk of the Disneyland 2005 updates look and feel, but also changed it around a bit. Tokyo's new Space Mountain opened in April, 2007. It has a very similar look to the queue, station and most interior effects to Anaheim.
41710810_a9a900bc27.jpg

But, Tokyo Disneyland's new Space Mountain did not include the new onboard audio that Anaheim received. Tokyo's version still has no onboard audio, with audio limited to the lift hills, some general stuff in the dome, and the "hyperspeed tunnel" that is similar to Anaheim.

This is important because everything I've heard about the WDW remake says that onboard audio will not be added to this attraction in WDW. Correct me please if anyone has heard otherwise. I think WDW might see a look and vibe and plotline that is similar to Tokyo's new Space Mountain, since that remake can't rely on onboard audio to help carry the attraction story and further the show.

Disneyland's Space Mountain opened in 1977, and had a big rehab in 1996 when the onboard audio was added, one of the first uses of such technology stateside. The 2005 Disneyland rehab replaced the rocket fleet, and also replaced the onboard audio track with newly composed music. The new rockets feature four speakers per seat with a subwoofer in the middle of each row, and the effect is FANTASTIC! Much better than the earlier systems used on Rock N' Roller Coaster or California Screamin'.
space2.jpg
I have actually repeatedly heard that the refurb will AT LEAST include new trains with on-board audio. It's everything else that I have been hearing is possibly canned.

Everyone has skipped over the other bit of news here. Parade of Dreams coming to the MK? I thought that was abandoned, but if everyone thinks Birnbaum's is typically accurate (with statements sanctioned by Disney), then when is the new parade arriving?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is important because everything I've heard about the WDW remake says that onboard audio will not be added to this attraction in WDW. Correct me please if anyone has heard otherwise. I think WDW might see a look and vibe and plotline that is similar to Tokyo's new Space Mountain, since that remake can't rely on onboard audio to help carry the attraction story and further the show
Originally I`d heard yes. New score by Giochinno, DLCs audio was tested in Orlando last year overnight. Even a new version of Soundtracker to play it.

Now I`m not sure either way. As I`ve said elsewhere, this rehab is getting very messy.

TP2000

I have actually repeatedly heard that the refurb will AT LEAST include new trains with on-board audio. It's everything else that I have been hearing is possibly canned.

Oh, really? Okay, that's good news then if onboard audio is coming to WDW.

The new audio probably won't be the Disneyland verison though, because the music is composed specifically to time with the dips and turns in the track. So any Space Mountain onboard audio for WDW will be newly composed and not heard previously.

To me, it seems like Disney knows Space Mountain needs a major refurbishment, but they don't want to close such a major attraction. They appear to be holding off on this refurb for as long as possible (maybe up until the attraction is deemed unsafe). This probably isn't true, but to the average person, this may be a thought that runs through his or her head.

Buried20KLeague

I agree. I have always loved to ride SM and have been going to Disney almost every year since 1981.
It is best ridden with your eyes closed to make it that much better not knowing when the turns are coming. I know it is in the dark but you can still tell which way the track is going to turn with your eyes open.
JMO and my first post.

First off, welcome! :wave:

As to your comment... I would ask if you've ridden any other SM in any other Disney park. That's when you start opening your eyes to what WDW's SM COULD be. The largest SM building in the world, at the highest attended theme park in the world, and yet it's easily the worst version of SM on the planet.

I know where you're coming from... Most people haven't been on other SM's, so they don't know what they're missing and therefore don't see the need for an overhaul... Along with maybe nostalgia, etc... But I promise you, this would be one of those things where afterward you would look back and think "wow, I wish they would have done this sooner!".

Eyorefan

And the one that's falling apart in Florida isn't too rough for you, too?

To everyone who says SM is fine: yes, the track LAYOUT is fine, but the attraction's condition is awful. The track needs to be rebuilt and the special effects need to be updated. Period.

Were you guys satisfied with the old HM, or are you happy to see the incredible changes in the new one? :rolleyes:

I completly agree. I'm not a fan of the idea of having music blasting in my ears. That's one of the few things I don't like about RnRC.

I do have to say though, SM needs a re-ferb. Even if the track layout, cars and everything else stays exactly the same they need to do something about how jerky it is. I came to this conclustion after my latest visit when I sat in the next to last set and then the last seat of the rocekt ship. What a difference from the front, time I was worried about getting whip lash from all the jerking, and didn't really think much about the drops.

hokielutz

I too am looking forward to a SM overhaul/refurb.... but the more time that goes by... the more I am seeing a presence of doubt build that the refurb may be far less than the original scope, or slashed all together. I hope this is not the case, and management is just keeping the final plans shrouded in secrecy.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The new audio probably won't be the Disneyland verison though, because the music is composed specifically to time with the dips and turns in the track. So any Space Mountain onboard audio for WDW will be newly composed and not heard previously
Strangely, it fits very well. WDI ran 3rd shift tests with a makeshift audio system last year. You know how Soundtracker works, with separate zones for sections of audio that can slide eitherway into eachother and not sound off key? A few adjustments for Orlando and it fits perfectly. I even tried it myself in a small video. Strange but true! However, I was told Orlando would get a new version simply because they didn`t want a 3rd mountain, or 2nd in the same country, with identical music. Kind of not-a-clone.

flydisco

First off, welcome! :wave:

As to your comment... I would ask if you've ridden any other SM in any other Disney park. That's when you start opening your eyes to what WDW's SM COULD be. The largest SM building in the world, at the highest attended theme park in the world, and yet it's easily the worst version of SM on the planet.

I know where you're coming from... Most people haven't been on other SM's, so they don't know what they're missing and therefore don't see the need for an overhaul... Along with maybe nostalgia, etc... But I promise you, this would be one of those things where afterward you would look back and think "wow, I wish they would have done this sooner!".

It is odd to think that after being to WDW over 30 times ,which may not seem like much to some folks but I am 33 yrs old and have lived in Illinois all my life, that I have never been to Disneyland. I can only go by the WDW Space Mountain and I am sure the others are great. I have ridden some of the biggest and best Coasters and am always looking for the next big thrill ride but when it comes to Disney I guess I am nostalgic. I am not saying that a MAJOR overhaul would be bad because I would welcome it with open arms. We are planning our next trip for Dec 09 and would be disappointed at it being closed but would be thrilled to see it (hopefully) bigger and better.
Just trying to clarify my original comments. I go to Cedar Point to ride THRILL rides and go to Disney to be a kid again.

Buried20KLeague

It is odd to think that after being to WDW over 30 times ,which may not seem like much to some folks but I am 33 yrs old and have lived in Illinois all my life, that I have never been to Disneyland. I can only go by the WDW Space Mountain and I am sure the others are great. I have ridden some of the biggest and best Coasters and am always looking for the next big thrill ride but when it comes to Disney I guess I am nostalgic. I am not saying that a MAJOR overhaul would be bad because I would welcome it with open arms. We are planning our next trip for Dec 09 and would be disappointed at it being closed but would be thrilled to see it (hopefully) bigger and better.
Just trying to clarify my original comments. I go to Cedar Point to ride THRILL rides and go to Disney to be a kid again.

Understood. :wave: But the other SM's aren't really about "thrill" either. They're still very much a family style coaster. They're just much more immersive, and detailed. The technology in place at WDW is from the early 70's... Just think what 40 years of coaster tech, lighting tech, building tech, etc, could get us!

The biggest things I think most here would love would be replacement of some (or all) track but keeping the same layout, better lighting effects throughout, a new lift scene, and a darker ride area over all. Then there are some that debate enclosing the load area (which I'm in favor of, personally. I just think they could do some pretty cool things with that.)

I don't need bigger hills... I just don't want to know when the little ones are coming because I can see them! :lol:

Either way... I have a feeling you'll be in good shape in December 09. I bet they'd at least be in soft openings by the holiday season.

jt04

Originally I`d heard yes. New score by Giochinno, DLCs audio was tested in Orlando last year overnight. Even a new version of Soundtracker to play it.

Now I`m not sure either way. As I`ve said elsewhere, this rehab is getting very messy.

Didn't they learn anything from the SSE refurb mess? :confused:

imagineer boy

I completly agree. I'm not a fan of the idea of having music blasting in my ears. That's one of the few things I don't like about RnRC.

Don't worry, the music in DL isn't bad at all. Its not like blaring rock music like RnRc. Mostly a techno/orchestra with a B-movie sound. Its really great.

But personally, I'd like a new soundtrack for WDW's SM. Just for some originality for a change.:shrug: But knowing Disney, they're not going to want to spend money on that.:brick:

xsupaxmanxsfnex

IMO I love rough coasters. But from what I have heard, they coaster is in bad shape. If the coaster is in bad shape then that's not ok with me. I will miss the SM how it is today but as always, all good things come to an end (but to some of you I guess it isn't that "good"). This re-furb sounds exciting and I hope management doesn't cut it short. I guess we will have to wait and see.

WDITrent

A "bad" version of Space Mountain is better than no version at all. However. after having been on the DL version last month I realized that the WDW version could use a refurb. So when the refurb starts we'll just have to deal with it. There must be something else to do at WDW :lol:.
I'm sure the wait will be worth it if SM turns out to be as good as the DL version
I agree. Even though we'll lose "a" version and have "no" version we can be assured that the "better" version would be better than a "bad" version, even if it means closing the "bad" version and living with "no" version and have the "better" version from then on. We'd all be much "better" off. :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom