Big Thunder Mountain Refurb

InsiderImagine

You've got no idea how sick I am of hearing that line. Could you please show me anywhere on the Walt Disney World website which states that there are non-peak months at the parks.

It is just common knowledge that there are non-peak months at the parks. If you went in those time frames you would obviously see the parks not as busy as other months.

Walt Disney World is not going to post what times are their non-peak months because to them there is no non-peak months. Why would any business in fact write, "Hey come to Disney when wait times for Space Mountain is 5min." Not gonna happen.

:wave:

devoy1701

You've got no idea how sick I am of hearing that line. Could you please show me anywhere on the Walt Disney World website which states that there are non-peak months at the parks.

No need to have an attitude.

Disney has actually expanded their calendar into about 12 different seasons now which you can find on disneyworld.com when you are looking at hotel room rates. The new way is about 15 times more complicated, but you can take it for a test drive here: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...oms/?showYear=2012+Regular+Season+1+-+Weekday and play with the "Seasons" dropdown menu.

There used to be 4 "Official Seasons": Peak, Regular, Value, and Holiday.

Value Season was from January through March when the Easter, Spring Break, etc would start. Regular Season would be from about March through May, Peak would be the summer months, Value would kick back in towards the end of July and go through through the end of October. Then I believe Regular Season would kick back in until the weekend before Thanksgiving when Holiday Season would kick in. Then we would have one more Value Season from December 2nd or 3rd until the 19th, then Holiday Season would kick back in until the January 3rd.

My dates might be a bit off. Because I think that there was a "Peak" season in March for Easter.

The best way to keep tabs on it was that the FL Resident Seasonal Pass was blacked out during Holiday Season and Peak Season but not blacked out for Regular and Value Season.

forgot to add that the "Seasons" correspond to the amount of "traffic" in the parks during those times. Value Season is (historically) the least populated time to visit the parks. There's less demand, hence less people in the parks, so rates are lower. So you will see more lengthy refurbs (or more refurbs in general) during these times of year.

devoy1701

It is just common knowledge that there are non-peak months at the parks. If you went in those time frames you would obviously see the parks not as busy as other months.

Walt Disney World is not going to post what times are their non-peak months because to them there is no non-peak months. Why would any business in fact write, "Hey come to Disney when wait times for Space Mountain is 5min." Not gonna happen.

no seriously...they used to. and if you go to the page I put in my last post, you can still see "Value Season" and "Value Season2" Rates for January, February, August, September and for a few weeks in July in 2012. In fact for the longest time we always took our Christmas Trip during the week of December 12-19th (around that time) because it was "Value Season" and the rates were HALF that of the week of Christmas.

Jane Doe

If Disney themselves are happy to state there are no peak months, there are no off-peak prices at the parks after all, then the refurbs should be spread out evenly over a year. A guest visiting in January should expect the same level of operating attractions as those visiting in July, their money is just as good as theirs. If the old "lines are shorter" adage is to be wheeled out I can point to shorter operating hours and less performances of Fantasmic and parades to counter that.

InsiderImagine

no seriously...they used to. and if you go to the page I put in my last post, you can still see "Value Season" and "Value Season2" Rates for January, February, August, September and for a few weeks in July in 2012. In fact for the longest time we always took our Christmas Trip during the week of December 12-19th (around that time) because it was "Value Season" and the rates were HALF that of the week of Christmas.

Thanks for the link! I wasn't aware Disney had it mapped out like that. I love when I learn something new every day.

It's just a shame that some people are naive enough to believe there are not non-peak months at the parks. :ROFLOL:

devoy1701

If Disney themselves are happy to state there are no peak months, there are no off-peak prices at the parks after all, then the refurbs should be spread out evenly over a year. A guest visiting in January should expect the same level of operating attractions as those visiting in July, their money is just as good as theirs. If the old "lines are shorter" adage is to be wheeled out I can point to shorter operating hours and less performances of Fantasmic and parades to counter that.

What?

I just showed you that Disney does admit to different operating seasons and even pricing tiers during those seasons were services are cheaper than at other times during the year.

Not in terms of Tickets and Food Prices, but in terms of room rates they discount dramatically during non-peak times. Or perhaps it's more correct to say that they raise rates dramatically during peak times...

Jane Doe

No need to have an attitude.

No attitude meant, I'm not a fan of using smilies. I apologise.

I understand the hotels having different seasons but the parks to me are a different issue. As I've just posted, if there was an off-peak ticket you can say that you've got less but paid less. But when you're paying the same it tends to stick in the craw when attractions are closed and you're supposed to be ok with it.

devoy1701

No attitude meant, I'm not a fan of using smilies. I apologise.

I understand the hotels having different seasons but the parks to me are a different issue. As I've just posted, if there was an off-peak ticket you can say that you've got less but paid less. But when you're paying the same it tends to stick in the craw when attractions are closed and you're supposed to be ok with it.

When staying on property (which is what Disney wants you to do) I can visit in January for roughly 35-40% less than I could if I were to stay during Easter. In addition, the parks are not as crowded during this time of year. My trade-off for that is that Splash Mountain will be closed (it's always closed during January) and there may be a few more attractions under refurb now than if I were to stay during April.

To me, a 40% savings is worth that.

WDWfanboy

Yeah we typically go during a more "off peak" time(non-Easter April) with the full understanding that we're rolling the dice as far as refurbs go. I understand the frustration, but I accept it as part of going to a resort that's open 365 days a year.

I hope Splash gets some TLC too-it was looking pretty beat up when I was on it a few months ago.

Thrill Seeker

This refurb is in the books... I've heard varying reports on when the Test Track refurb/overhaul is going to occur. Some said as late as April, which seems odd to me considering it will be down for the summer...

As far as Splash goes, it's kinda a lose lose unless it goes down in December.

It sounds like the options are:

1. It goes down in January while Thunder is also down
2. It goes down after Thunder re-opens in May, meaning it's down at the beginning of Summer
3. It doesn't go down at all in 2012

None of those options sound good, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens...

WDWfanboy

Yeah I can't see them shutting them both down simultaneously-there would be riots. I wonder if they'll attempt to rehab Splash overnight in a piecemeal fashion.

TalkingHead

Yeah I can't see them shutting them both down simultaneously-there would be riots. I wonder if they'll attempt to rehab Splash overnight in a piecemeal fashion.

Riots? So melodramatic. Guests would have to accept the rides are closed. If not, security would be happy to remove them.

janoimagine

Park ticket prices remain the same throught the year, however resort prices do reflect value or off peak times, therefore one with intellegence should assume that certain things will not be operating like they would during peak times, as Disney World is the whole package, the resorts, and the parks. :wave:

WDW1974

Unfortunately, not all of us can go to the World that often, so closures are much more disappointing for us. I just ask that you don't talk down to us like that.

I actually am (really!) sorry for the way that came off/out. Sometimes dealing with seemingly constant online (and real world) insanity makes you a bit harsher than you wish to be.

I do understand it being a disappointment when a favorite attraction or attractions are closed. I recently spent parts of six days at DLR, but came just after Mansion (one of my all-time faves) closed for the NBC overlay and before it reopened.

But that is just life.

I think the Disney of the 21st century has conditioned guests into expecting everything to be open every day of their MAGICal WDW vacation when the place would fall apart (beyond what it is) by following that edict.

No matter what you close and when, it's always going to be someone's fave etc.

If it's that important to someone, then I'd suggest a change in vacation plans. But anything can happen. Look at the Tiki Room fire.

You just have to go with the flow.

In the good old days WDW would try and close things in the off-season, but they've spent the past 20 years trying to never have slower periods at all (they still do ... generally where they've always been late August to late September, most of January and early February ... and not much else!)

The thing is for everyone that complains, I'd point out that now there are four parks and much more to do (even if it is spread out). I remember a January trip in 1979 or 80 when MK was all there was and they had Space Mountain, 20,000 Leagues, and Peter Pan's Flight all closed at the same time -- BTMRR was under construction at the time) and we all still had a great time with what was there.

A few years back, I was at DL when it seemed like half the park was down (Space, Mansion, Splash and PoC ALL AT THE SAME TIME) and still had a great time.

I guess it's my long-winded way of saying sure, it's disappointing. But one or two or three attractions shouldn't be the basis for a WDW vacation that costs thousands of dollars.

~GFC~

NoChesterHester

Good debate, but back to the question.... we havent really had anyone scope out the refurb (at least the rumors). We know how critical the repairs are but are we in store for any additions?

Cosmic Commando

Honestly, other than Splash's somewhat annual refurb in January, I think the refurbs ARE spread pretty evenly throughout the year. I don't think Disney really plans them around the busy seasons as much as some people think they do. There are so many holiday weekends that if you move a refurb of decent length to avoid one problem time, you'll probably just run into another.

Frontierland CM

Good debate, but back to the question.... we havent really had anyone scope out the refurb (at least the rumors). We know how critical the repairs are but are we in store for any additions?

on my recent trip to the world i talked with an imagineer on a late bus ride. he said they will be replacing a lot of the track beams, just like thy did with the space mountain refurb

Jane Doe

Park ticket prices remain the same throught the year, however resort prices do reflect value or off peak times, therefore one with intellegence should assume that certain things will not be operating like they would during peak times, as Disney World is the whole package, the resorts, and the parks. :wave:

I'm still inclined to disagree. I'll be in Florida late January/early February and I'll be paying considerably less for my room, my flight and rental car than I would be if I visited only a month earlier. In spite of paying so much less I fully expect my hotel, airline and car rental firm to give me exactly the same product.

I've been on a few cruises and when I've travelled off-peak the experience was exactly the same. There were no decks closed for refurbishment and all the surf machines, climbing walls and whatever extras they entice us with on the commercials were all fully operational. I paid less but still got the same treatment as someone who'd paid two or three times more.

I'm pretty sure that although the meals in some of WDW's restaurants are of the same quality in the off season, even though you pay more at peak. So, to the unsuspecting eye, when a layperson decides to spend, let's face it, a large amount of money on park tickets (and "park tickets" are the key words here) and sees that the ticket cost is constant throughout the year, he has a right to feel aggrieved when more rides are closed just because he chose to go off peak. And this isn't about me personally, this will be my fifth trip and I know that there will closures, but it's about what is deemed as an "acceptable" number of closures. To date I'll have BTMR, Fantasmic and Dumbo down for my visit which is just about acceptable, but not too long ago people were posting it would be OK to shut down Splash Mountain and Test Track too at the same time and to me that's too much. WDW is now a year round resort and all the work should be spread year round and not rushed through winter to make everything marvellous for the no-more- important summer guests.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom